GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R FMIC?

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
OK so is this part number the correct one for the golf r Intercooler 1K0145803BE??
And it will fit in fsi without any mods other than cutting the metal off the houses?

Im about to order it off 1stvwparts.com as recommended by junker. Just want to make sure of everything before i order it. Correct me if im wrong, the golf r intercooler is the same as the S3 intercooler except for the end plastic tanks?? That is the only difference?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
OK so is this part number the correct one for the golf r Intercooler 1K0145803BE??
And it will fit in fsi without any mods other than cutting the metal off the houses?

Im about to order it off 1stvwparts.com as recommended by junker. Just want to make sure of everything before i order it. Correct me if im wrong, the golf r intercooler is the same as the S3 intercooler except for the end plastic tanks?? That is the only difference?

Should be close if not identical. Aus-phil installed it in his and took some preliminary logs that are shown above.

There is some debate as to whether it is considered 39-40mm thick compared to the old metal type, but I think the core is the same with the difference being primarily in the chassis. Our stock IC is 30-32mm thick so it has about 25-33% more ability and it's good enough for a K04. I think it's a heck of a deal and perfect for anything up to a bolt-on K04 with typical mods. Very little of the cooling would be occurring at the end links so I think the difference is negligible even though the plastic version is finned.

No one has mentioned this, but this IC is obviously going to be much lighter as well and this is weight about as far up on a front heavy car as you can get. Even if the metal version was 5% better at cooling I can't think it is worth twice as much. Also, the Golf R IC is totally stealth.

To finish it off in an FSI it sounds like all you need to do id removed the tube flanges and use band clamp. I ordered two actual VW 50-70mm clamps for the total sleeper OEM+ install. Smog, dealer, or cops won't notice $#!^. The part number for those clamps is:

N10518901 ($4.50 each)

The IC's versions should be identical, but the new one is more expensive so get the cheaper one while they last!

1K0 145 803 BP
1K0 145 803 BE

For $170 it's hard to go wrong. You just saved yourself up to $800. :happyanim:

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
so witch one should i buy the BP or BE from 1stvwparts.com? what is the difference in both?

EDIT: looked up the BP and it was over $200?? why is that? ill be ordering the BE then :)

One last question, so the BE was way better than the stock cooler and worked as good as the s3 cooler??

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Do i need any mounting hardware for my FSI?

It sounds like just the two hose clamps. On the metal version I think there are 8 or 9 screws you need. Also, Aus-Phil mentioned using two metric bolts for the install process in this thread. Check out the support section of APR and download the install instructions. They use two long bolts to hold things together temporarily too. Other than that I think it is good to go. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
It sounds like just the two hose clamps. On the metal version I think there are 8 or 9 screws you need. Also, Aus-Phil mentioned using two metric bolts for the install process in this thread. Check out the support section of APR and download the install instructions. They use two long bolts to hold things together temporarily too. Other than that I think it is good to go. :thumbsup:

Sounds good! ordered mine this morning cant wait to get it installed!:thumbsup:

Have you gotten yours junker?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Sounds good! ordered mine this morning cant wait to get it installed!:thumbsup:

Have you gotten yours junker?

I get mine in next week but not exactly sure when I can install. Looks pretty involved and I'll have a garage starting in September. I'd really like to get to out before that... Definitely let me know how the install goes! :thumbsup:

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
So, I was able to install the Golf R/S3 IC intercooler for $200 shipped including: 2 OEM band clamps, and 2 long installation bolts. It's such a good deal it's almost hard to believe it's possible.

The install was pretty challenging and took us about 4-5 hours, but would be much easier if I had to go back and do it again.

Here are a couple installation comments on the install

It bolts right up with the original hardware except for the 2 50-70mm band clamps. The IC hoses were easy to trim up with a dremel. Only took 5-10 minutes.

The hardest part was undoing electrical connectors and, in particular, the headlight cluster connectors. Not sure if we just weren't familiar enough with the release on those or if they were getting old and brittle but the kept braking off and we had to get resourceful and persistent to get them off. I'd say be extra careful, take your time, and don't make the same mistake, if possible.

Second, it was much easier for us to drop the IC down from the the radiator, condenser sandwich. The inlet/outlet would be hard to clear pulling out upward.

Initial impression is that the power seems to come on earlier and smoother. I'll update once I have a better chance to test. My digital calipers weren't too useful to measure the GTI and Golf R intercoolers because it doesn't quite clear the frame. The stock intercooler is about 32 mm and the Golf R is about 40 mm gauging that it is clearly thicker but not quite 1cm thicker from what I could tell. Also from a forward view it looks like it pokes out a little above the condenser. Never noticed that with the stocker, but the core of the new one is nice and shiny.

Not sure if it's strictly a linear function of radiator depth but let's assume it is then that's about 25% better cooling for $200 out-the-door. :thumbsup: It won't draw attention and should be good for anything up through a K04 IMO. :happyanim:

Here is an IAT graph of a full-throttle pull to ~6500 rpm through 3rd and 4th gear in warm ~80˚F weather. The temperature started out at 38˚C in 3rd gear at 3k rpm when I started the pull, came down to 36˚C in the middle of the pull ending right where I started at about 100 mph. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IAT.jpg
    IAT.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,528
Last edited:

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Cant wait to get mine! it should be here Tuesday:) Excited a lot more now knowing it cools pretty good. I'm In El Paso and temperatures here are around 100F so will see how it works!
Thanks for the review!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Great review, Junker !! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The mk6 cooler is pretty much in the middle, it is thicker and better than the oem mk5 fmic but it isn't as efficient as the metal tank s3 cooler. The only better option than the s3 cooler is going with WMI, or the APR & THS coolers, but they cost a fortune.

The Mk.VI Golf R FMIC with plastic endtanks is even more efficient than the old full alloy S3 FMIC.
Hard to believe but true. I was told by a mate working at Volkswagen in Wolfsburg where they did all
the testings. It's not only material and dimensions. The newer one has a better internal shape.

what? i swear they are identical....

Current Golf R, S3 and Mk.VI GTI are identical. The former Mk.V GTI FMIC was thinner and less efficient.

wow so much speculation here. So far not a single person has chimed in with part numbers or examples.

The Golf R intercooler PN supercedes the old TT-S part number, so they are probably very similar.

As per ECS, the PN for the Golf R intercooler is 1K0 145 803 BE (plastic end tanks)
which is the new version of the TT-S number 1K0 145 803 AK (plastic end tanks)

which is different than the S3 part number 1K0 145 803 P (metal end tanks)

and the 'newest' PN for the MK5/MK6 (same part is spec'd for MY06-MY12) intercooler is 1K0 145 803 T

I have no idea regarding the relative size of the cores and endtank configuration, but the Golf R intercooler is probably nearly identical to the TT-S intercooler, which is the plastic-end-tank version of the S3 intercooler.

Right. :thumbsup:

And, contrary to other people in the thread, the MK5 and MK6 GTI use the same part.

Wrong. :biggrin:

siliconcenturion

Go Kart Champion
Wrong. :biggrin:

ETKA shows that the parts supercede one another, and that the latest version works in all GTI's from MY06-MY12. They may not be materially the same throughout the different revisions, but theyre not substantially different or else the MY application would have forked in ETKA. If you have proof otherwise, please post it up :w00t:

firstorbit84

Ready to race!
Ummm... I went thru all the part numbers with the dealer when I ordered my BE revision. We looked up part numbers from a new Mk6 GTI and Golf R using their VINs.

The Mk6 GTI came up with T rev., same as my MkV Wolfsburg. The Golf R came up with BP revision.

ECS has said here that the BE and BP are the same part with different numbers.

The dealer said that the BE rev. is for engine code CCZB, which is not available in the US, AFAIK. Yet we can still order this part. I think the Mk6 got the updated larger intercooler in some other world markets, just not the US.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
They may not be materially the same throughout the different revisions, but theyre not substantially different or else the MY application would have forked in ETKA. If you have proof otherwise,

You just need to put the Golf R IC next to our stock IC to see they are substantially different. I measured them both with a digital micrometer and I can guaranty they are not the same. This can also be seen in the picture posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3389318&postcount=88

Last edited: