GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Downpipe arrived (metal cat)

plac

GTI Master
if my clamps come in today, i might install tonight. but i cant install until i have my good clamps.

I'll steal this pic from someone else. Check out the difference. The thin weak clamps come with the AWE. The massive ones are what I ordered.

BUY THEM HERE:

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/verociousmotorsports/Items/TAS-250

plac

GTI Master
This is a little off topic, but what's the diff b/t a metal and ceramic cat? Any performance differences or just emissions stuff? I noticed that the metal version is a lot more $.

the metal claims a full 10 more whp.

plac

GTI Master
The front part of the DP is installed. Quite a biotch. Not difficult, just time consuming. I'll get a pic or two now that its installed. I know what people mean now about not wanting to stop in the middle of work to take pics. Once you start, you can't stop.

Notes, the hardest nut was the one on top, lower, cloest to engine. But a 2" extension works perfect on it.

(all nuts are 16mm)

Everything was smooth except I couldnt get the top O2 sensor out while on the car. So I left it in. Then, I couldnt pull the stock DP out since the top O2 was in the way. So once my DP was loosened, I lowered it enough to get the 7/8" open end wrench on it while on the car. I broke it loose and removed it. Then, I pulled the stock DP all the way out. The new DP was a lot easier to get on, since its much shorter.

I now have only the top portion done. I figured thats the hardest part, and I can always replace clamps later if they dont arrive. I am stoked the hardest part is done.

I have some blood and cuts, but worth the pain. Prob only took an hour of actual work.

plac

GTI Master
even tho i been on a work conference call ALL day, ill go down to garage again and take some pics.

plac

GTI Master
The stock top downpipe for reference:

View from top, showing flange and new copper nuts:

View from bottom showing unconnected pipe:

Showing the good clearance between flex pipe and stock heat sheild material:

Last edited:

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
I applaud you for being smart enough to wait for the clamps. I think I would be so impulsively excited I'd say screw it and be screwed later. Oh yea, it looks good too. Hahaha :cool: :thumbup:

plac

GTI Master
Well, my other clamps didnt arrive today, so i finished putting this together using the included clamps. They are pretty weak, but I think they'll do the job. The stronger clamps might deform the pipes if you're not careful.

Everything was a flawless fit.

Downpipe to metal cat connection:

Back of cat to resonator/midpipe:

Detailed view of the famous middle VW clamp. I've always wanted to know how it fit, so now everyone will know. It does not overlap at all. Look how perfect fit the new pipe is. Thus, it is easy to do only a DP or only a cat back.

I'm too tired to drive it right now. I'll find out how it is later. I'll enjoy the suspense. My hands are all bruised from banging pipes.

Last edited:

plac

GTI Master
Feels pretty nice. I notice a large difference in drivability for sure. Some worse, some better.

-The pedal gets you going a lot faster at only half way now from a stop. I just barely crack the throttle and it kind of smoothly floats up, where stock, you had to push in deeper to get the same acecleration.

-The DSG shift burp is now 3X as loud and annoying when in "D" mode. But in manual mode you can avoid that mostly.

-Its barely louder than stock, I would say not at all. But I never revved it up fully yet.

-I heard one sputtering of an exhaust leak right when i fired it up. It went away after like 60 seconds anyway as things expanded. I didnt check where it was yet. Wasnt at the flange, I know that much, it might have been my VW wide band clamp. So when I install my new clamps tomorrow night I'll pay extra attention to the clamp positions.

-I had it in "1" manual mode from a stop, revved it to about 5500 at little more than 1/2 throttle. When I hit it into "2"and the tires broke loose. Never had that before on such low throttle.

Overall, I am pretty excited about further testing, car breathes a lot better, if thats "feelable".. Stage 2 sometime, not in a huge rush. Streetwerkes usually has a 2 week backup anyway.

Oh forgot, the boost needle hits its peak at least twice as fast now too.

Maseroche

Ready to race!
Looks like it was worth it in the end. Looks pretty good with great welds. Thanks for the pictures and the write-up.

plac

GTI Master
Further thoughts after more driving:
- I dont think i have an exhaust leak. The sound I am hearing is simply the cold start difference on the engine. And it is way less muffled now. The noise was coming from the front actually. But stops quickly after cold start stage is done.

- The acceleration from 2000rpm has a lot less lag. It just goes instead of hesitating 1-2 seconds.

- I am still feeling out the added power, it seems stronger in the higher rpms also.

- I will still add my new clamps tonight anyway. The included clamps were flexing and bending even as the nut was tightened down. And I dont think those thin clamps have enough force to move the thick exhaust pipe anyway. Just my opinion.

- No CEL yet. (still on APR stage 1)