GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Downpipe arrived (metal cat)

Daishi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 GLI Manual
I find it hard to believe how the dp is 1000 bucks and they supply such cheap clamps :/

skateboy918

Ready to race!
Those factory copper nuts should always be replaced. They have a slight deformation to them so they act like lock nuts, once they are used they loose their shape and don't lock as well.

i agree with you on replacing them. my techtonic Dp also came with 4replacement nuts, howeevr they are stainless steel.

I am curious as to why you choose copper nuts seeing how copper is a very soft metal and would definately deform more when its time to take them off. Also they conduct heat the most , which cant be good with all that heat from the turbo

plac

GTI Master
I'm so sure I'll get a downpipe eventually, I ordered my two 2.5" band clamps today. Best price I found was $7.95 each + $10 shipping.

Bought them here:

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/Detail?no=492

I also ordered 10 more copper nuts. Everyone asks why copper? I guess cuz I like oem parts whenever possible. I had two nuts left from last time but figured I'd get another 10 since shipping is expensive anyway.

plac

GTI Master
The down pipe is $999.95 now.. holy crap..

I think it was $799.99 2 years ago when I bought it.. (maybe $899..)

I need a SALE on this AWE........ $1000 + shipping for a downpipe is rediculous.

The APR downpipe is only $699... im tempted to jump ship this time. Since I'm getting APR software anyway.. Thats a big price difference.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
i agree with you on replacing them. my techtonic Dp also came with 4replacement nuts, howeevr they are stainless steel.

I am curious as to why you choose copper nuts seeing how copper is a very soft metal and would definately deform more when its time to take them off. Also they conduct heat the most , which cant be good with all that heat from the turbo

Hmm...my TT DP included the factory copper / brass ones as well as the gasket.

My guesses for the use of Cu...is either because:
1) it is an excellent conductor
2) possibly reduces galvanic corrosion with the iron bolts
3) has good thermal expansion coefficient
4) can be spft and sacrificial - helping to preserve the turbo studs.

P.S.: My Vespa scooter also uses Cu exhaust nuts.

Like I said I'm not sure exactly why but it seems pretty typical.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
The down pipe is $999.95 now.. holy crap..

I think it was $799.99 2 years ago when I bought it.. (maybe $899..)

I need a SALE on this AWE........ $1000 + shipping for a downpipe is rediculous.

The APR downpipe is only $699... im tempted to jump ship this time. Since I'm getting APR software anyway.. Thats a big price difference.

I was looking over the GIAC dynos:

Stock car with GIAC(91):207/252
GIAC(91)/Intake/400 Cell DP: 231/263
GIAC(93)/200 Cell TurboBack: 238/264

So, the way I see it...you maybe get 5 hp for 200 cell over 400 cell if you take in to consideration the fuel differences. So that works out to be ~$100/HP. Granted, they are totally different dynos and conditions so the differences could be more or less. AWE says it's 9HP more.

So, is it really worth the money over a 400 cell? I can't answer that, but the $500 difference could go toward an HPFP, intercooler, or all the intake turbo plumbing.

plac

GTI Master
I never had any issues with my fuel pump on my 2006 with stage 2. Dont know what all the big deal is these days. Maybe things changed.

plac

GTI Master
I confirmed i paid $775 shipped to my door for this item in November 2006. It went up $225 in 2 years..

plac

GTI Master
unless AWE has a $200-off sale, I'll be buying someone elses this time.

ChronicTeutonic

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI, S4 Avant
Hmm...my TT DP included the factory copper / brass ones as well as the gasket.

My guesses for the use of Cu...is either because:
1) it is an excellent conductor
2) possibly reduces galvanic corrosion with the iron bolts
3) has good thermal expansion coefficient
4) can be spft and sacrificial - helping to preserve the turbo studs.

P.S.: My Vespa scooter also uses Cu exhaust nuts.

Like I said I'm not sure exactly why but it seems pretty typical.

Junker has the answers!

OT: Which Vespa do you have? I've got an LX150 in Excalibur Grey.