GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do we need so much power???

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Switch to a motorbike, more thrills, more stimulation, more raw, more concentration and all just riding to work. The same piece of road thats a cruisy drive on four wheels becomes a lot more fun on two. Plus cheaper reg, better fuel economy... and always cooler than a car :biggrin:

isaw84

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI
A solution...Australia should build an Autobahn, like two extra wide freeway lanes, the government could even put a separate toll for these lanes. I'm sure they would paythem off in 6 months

I'd love to see something like a nurburg(sp?) ring in australia, somewhere in central NSW, out whoop whoop with a autobahn style highway leading to it, let ppl rock up, pay their $50 a lap for ~25km (hey, its cheaper than the bridge tolls in brisbane per km!) and go nuts. But, it'll never happen :(

I think the modifying desire comes down to personalization, like how you decorate your house or what you put on your sandwich. Your car is usually the 2nd most expensive thing you'll own in life (apart form maybe a big asss boat or another house) and people want it to be unique to them, the added power/handling is a side bonus.

On another note, BJ come to Mt Cotton later next month for the hill climb day! I'll be out there and we can catch up again before I arrange a proper drive in the first few weeks of April!

zogger

Ready to race!
I had the very same question... was about to update the car to an S3 instead of modifying the GTI past stage 1. Even had a qoute and expected delivery date. In the end though I decided to invest the cash into one of my properties and updated the kitchen spending $26k and a further $18k on other parts of the house.

Still though each time I put my foot down I want more.... so suppose one day I will sell off a property and rock up in a R8 or RS6 (yah i know not the fastest car but damn sexy all the same and be back to the old modifying dilemma), but to me now (getting OLD)... its about smart investment. Suppose i can always get a blinged up electric buggy when i am unable to walk anymore hehe.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Interesting conversation BJ and i agree most of it is just for the love of the car, but all the mod talk on here doesn't really help if you want to keep the car stock. Sounds like you're fairly fired up on the roads too, something you grow out of a bit.

A lot of it is bragging rights as TD said, and what's the point having all that power if you can't use it legally. You'll always want more and always get used to the power. It's also just a matter of time before you get tickets or lose your license (or worse).

Although its easy to want more power i'm happy with the R32 as its enough for the streets and spirited drives without going mental with speed.

As long as you got another set of wheels/tyres and considering the mods you've already done you could quite easily still drive out to track days to get it out of your system.

Dedicated tracky would make sense but agree it's a luxury and motorsport is fairly expensive. But you could do that and have a daily drive that's a bit more normal but I still couldn't drive something too boring or a car that i don't like and/or would want to drive the good one. I wouldn't want to spend too much on one if that was the outcome though, just an A to B car that was safe enough and economical.

Still don't see why you'd get a hybrid/prius over a fuel efficient diesel though.

Last edited:

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
I'd love to see something like a nurburg(sp?) ring in australia, somewhere in central NSW, out whoop whoop with a autobahn style highway leading to it, let ppl rock up, pay their $50 a lap for ~25km (hey, its cheaper than the bridge tolls in brisbane per km!) and go nuts. But, it'll never happen :(

we do have one!!! BATHURST. its not far from Sydney and I reckon if they took the model nurburgring adopted, they could build a legend around it bring heaps of money into the bathurst and NSW economies and give hacks like us an excuse to drive on the weekend :)

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Switch to a motorbike, more thrills, more stimulation, more raw, more concentration and all just riding to work. The same piece of road thats a cruisy drive on four wheels becomes a lot more fun on two. Plus cheaper reg, better fuel economy... and always cooler than a car :biggrin:

I agree it's fun but it's it worth losing a leg or getting killed?

I thought you'd feel even more restricted in traffic but would be a good weekender? Still not a bad idea and will beat almost every car.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
we do have one!!! BATHURST. its not far from Sydney and I reckon if they took the model nurburgring adopted, they could build a legend around it bring heaps of money into the bathurst and NSW economies and give hacks like us an excuse to drive on the weekend :)

Yeah but with the standard of most drivers here they'd spend all weekend scraping them off the road.

GRig: i think so.. its a calculated risk like anything in life. If you wear the proper gear, do the proper training, have the right attitude and frame of mind and don't treat the road like a race track you'll have a long and fun motorcycle riding life. Sure sometimes shit happens, but sometimes a truck crosses over the middle line and wipes you out when you're minding your own business as well.

triode12

Go Kart Champion

The businesses and homes whose entrances connect to the track (whose brilliant idea was that?) won't be too pleased and would probably kick up a stink about it.

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Yeah but with the standard of most drivers here they'd spend all weekend scraping them off the road.

Motorcycle riders who squeeze to the front of my Rellie and then take off at a slow pace really get my goat.

I almost ran over one because he rode like a granny.

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
thats like Sandown here. they built the track first, then houses around it, then the residents kick up a storm due to the noise.

FFS you bought a house near a friggen race track!!!

isaw84

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI
thats like Sandown here. they built the track first, then houses around it, then the residents kick up a storm due to the noise.

FFS you bought a house near a friggen race track!!!

Same thing with lakeside... Someone needs to tell those people to STFU. Dont like it? move... I'm sure some motorsport Guru would love to live next to the track

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I'll start by saying that I'm a frustrated weekend warrior, and would love to have a dedicated track car, yet my finances, current abode and time do not really permit such a "luxury". So, I am left with my current ride, which has only seen the Morgan Park track for a few short laps on an advanced driver training day. It was this day, and perhaps only a few other occasions, whilst overtaking on back country roads, in which the full power of the car has ever been exploited.

So, my question, Why do we need all this power, and what is the point of all of these upgrades that we do? For most of us, we'll see perhaps one or two track days, we'll take our car on "Spirited" cruises with fellow VAG lovers a couple of weekends a year, and for the most part, do our weekly routines of work, shopping, kids etc...

I suppose I'm getting old, or my attitudes are changing, but I'm just not seeing the point anymore. I'm more frustrated each and every day that I need to go and drive somewhere, and it's becoming something of a chore, not a love. I used to love to drive, I used to jump at the chance to go anywhere, for what ever reason, but now it just seems like all the fun has been taken away. And yes, I realise that a lot of this "Fun" has been taken away for saftey reasons, but as Newton said, for each and every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action.

So, based on this, what are the authorities, or car companies, doing to help us? They provide us cars with more power and better handling! What for? Where can we use this new found power and handling?

I'm so perplexed about this, and so left wanting each time I drive, that I'm seriously considering a Hybrid as my next car, something like the Green Civic for example....for that is a car which serves the main functions of transport from A to B and back again. For the way that things are going, I see little to no point in owning anything else!

Now....if you're still reading to this point, cheers! I hope that this opens up a bit of debate/place to drop your thoughts, on this subject and the way things are heading....

BJ

Definite early signs of depression evident.....willingness to settle for the lowest common denominator, questioning the motives of petrolheads.....

Get over it, and get back on the throttle :biggrin:

I can remember my elders wondering why I needed a 149 in the FC, since the FC was already so incredibly powerful compared to the Veloxes and Minxs of the day.

The 149 went in anyway.