GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do we need so much power???

bj240z

I'll start by saying that I'm a frustrated weekend warrior, and would love to have a dedicated track car, yet my finances, current abode and time do not really permit such a "luxury". So, I am left with my current ride, which has only seen the Morgan Park track for a few short laps on an advanced driver training day. It was this day, and perhaps only a few other occasions, whilst overtaking on back country roads, in which the full power of the car has ever been exploited.

So, my question, Why do we need all this power, and what is the point of all of these upgrades that we do? For most of us, we'll see perhaps one or two track days, we'll take our car on "Spirited" cruises with fellow VAG lovers a couple of weekends a year, and for the most part, do our weekly routines of work, shopping, kids etc...

I suppose I'm getting old, or my attitudes are changing, but I'm just not seeing the point anymore. I'm more frustrated each and every day that I need to go and drive somewhere, and it's becoming something of a chore, not a love. I used to love to drive, I used to jump at the chance to go anywhere, for what ever reason, but now it just seems like all the fun has been taken away. And yes, I realise that a lot of this "Fun" has been taken away for saftey reasons, but as Newton said, for each and every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action.

So, based on this, what are the authorities, or car companies, doing to help us? They provide us cars with more power and better handling! What for? Where can we use this new found power and handling?

I'm so perplexed about this, and so left wanting each time I drive, that I'm seriously considering a Hybrid as my next car, something like the Green Civic for example....for that is a car which serves the main functions of transport from A to B and back again. For the way that things are going, I see little to no point in owning anything else!

Now....if you're still reading to this point, cheers! I hope that this opens up a bit of debate/place to drop your thoughts, on this subject and the way things are heading....

BJ

DeanCorp

Ready to race!
Wow...I think I dropped my jaw on the ground.

A Hybrid is a taxi car!

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
BJ i actually agree with you whole heartedly.

i sometimes scratch my head and wonder why so many people... not just VAG lovers but other marquees/brands etc... embark on this campaign to modify their cars to extremes and extract massive horsepower.... update the car with high performance brakes, suspensions components etc etc when the car rarely if at all sees a race track or any other environment which supports performance driving of any sort.

its a lot of money to spend to buy coil overs/suspensions/big brakes/high flow exhaust systems etc etc

for those that engage in motorsports of some kind i certainly agree go for it.. because the car will make use of it... but for the rest????

i think the answer lies with ego.. its the "big dick/big tit" syndrome.. bragginng rights about who has the biggest one?

BossDuB27

Illuminati
Its a love for the car, power and just working on your car and making it better. You're right most people dont track or race their cars but for them being able to punch it occasionally when they're driving home from work makes all the money and time invested worth it. Some people are passionate about working on their cars and I just guess you two are not. Having a ton of hp, ungraded brakes and the works makes for a much rawer and more exciting drive then sitting in a hybrid and pressing the gas while getting 65mpg.

blu32

Stealthy Speed
Car(s)
My Car (above)
I know what you mean but I actually think that the cars we have are a pretty good balance in this regard. I get tempted by the idea of a blower of some kind on the car but end up saying "where would I use it?". I think that its great what guys like ap & jig have done & I'd love to do the same - just not sure if it is what I want to do right now.

Mind you, living in Sydney it is very handy to have good power etc - lets me thread through gaps in traffic, get away in front of the pack at lights etc - without going over the speed limit can easily shave 10 or 15 minutes off a one hour journey.

Don't lose track of the joy of "spirited driving" down suitable roads - having the power gives the car balance and makes the experience more enjoyable. Last time I was in NZ was driving some fantastic roads and so pissed off that I only had a Territory to do it in!

Other thing to remember is that a good chassis and brakes count for a lot - you can react better, pull up faster etc than the dude next to you in the Prius - helps keep you and your family at less risk.

Lately I've been driving some very exotic cars - sometimes it feels like a waste to be rolling along in the traffic in a 997 GT3 for instance, then a gap opens and it all makes sense, a nice bit of road becomes a better option than the freeway today etc etc.

As long as they're available, my preference will be for more interesting cars & having power always gives me a feeling of some security I must say.

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
Its a love for the car, power and just working on your car and making it better. You're right most people dont track or race their cars but for them being able to punch it occasionally when they're driving home from work makes all the money and time invested worth it. Some people are passionate about working on their cars and I just guess you two are not. Having a ton of hp, ungraded brakes and the works makes for a much rawer and more exciting drive then sitting in a hybrid and pressing the gas while getting 65mpg.

i am passionate about cars and i enjoying working on my own car and spend a lot of time in the garage modifying my car and doing other bits and pieces but i also appreciate what i put in the car and put it to good use in an environment where i can extract every last ounce of performance i can.

unfortunately in Australia our roads are soo heavily policed that enjoying our cars ... can result in an unwanted chat with the cops or worse.. the magistrate..

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Which is why I don't see the need to chip my Pirelli. I am never going to track "Sabine". (I've decided to name her after Sabine Schmitz of Top Gear fame). She has more than enough power for weekend drives. :)

The finance minister (read wife) has approved the purchase of yet another car for track work! (much to my surprise - suggested it last night while watching Top Gear) - I suspect she want to use it on the track too. So a cheap MX-5 or Golf GTI mk2 (read under 10K) might be on the cards. :)

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
Which is why I don't see the need to chip my Pirelli. I am never going to track "Sabine". (I've decided to name her after Sabine Schmitz of Top Gear fame). She has more than enough power for weekend drives. :)

The finance minister (read wife) has approved the purchase of yet another car for track work! (much to my surprise - suggested it last night while watching Top Gear) - I suspect she want to use it on the track too. So a cheap MX-5 or Golf GTI mk2 (read under 10K) might be on the cards. :)

hope the missus dont mind you riding sabine all the time :bellyroll:

bj240z

Hi BossDub27, thanks for dropping in....

Passion for cars comes in many forms, and I for one, am a car freak. I owned a car 6 months before I was able to drive it. It took me an entire year of working in the local supermarket to save for it! I've owned a number of GREAT cars, that only a true enthusiast would appreciate, like a Datsun 1600 (x4) and a 240z(1970). These cars were great, and I was lucky enough to have owned them in a time when anti-hoon legislation wasn't something that was even thought of.

Now adays, we live in a such a police state, such a highly controlled environment, that the desire to own such cars, is over shadowed by knowing that the one time you punch it, you're likely to get done!

Take sarbata (i think that's right)....He came over from Germany, thinking that he lived in a highly controlled environment, then he met the Aussie law makers and law enforcers....Guess where he is now, back in Germany!

I suppose my point to all of this, isn't that we should all be driving around in Hybrids, nor that car marques should stop making "exotics", it's that both car makers and the govt, should be putting their heads together to allow "enthusiasts" a subsidised outlet to let loose. We're all paying rego fees, we're all paying our taxes, so why not put some of this money to federally/state subsidised outlets? The Gold Coast used to have it's own drag strip, which was in part funded by the local govt (from memory), but this is now a new water front dev. @ Carra! The only place for a SE Qlder's to go, is out to Ipswich, Warick or Lakeside.

So com'on VAG, GM, Ford, Subbie etc....get your heads together and work out a safe solution to get it off the streets!

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
I have two cars, 5 door Holden Astra auto as my roundabout, its great to take camping/shopping/work etc. I couldn't really justify the middle range car ($70Kish) in my circumstance coz I clock up too many unnecessary k's in traffic etc. The Porsche is only driven when its play time :wink: helps avoid unnecessary k's to a minimum.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
A solution...Australia should build an Autobahn, like two extra wide freeway lanes, the government could even put a separate toll for these lanes. I'm sure they would paythem off in 6 months :wink:

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Power and handling ARE safety features. I'm sure my good rubber on wider tyres helps me stop faster, as does my well sorted suspension, assuming it hasn't helped me steer around an accident in the first place. I also appreciate the ability to overtake and return to my side of the road, should I have the desire or need to.

The rest of the time it's good to know I have these capabilities at my control should I need them. That they bring me sensations akin with enjoyment (despite the police/nanny state's best efforts to inhibit expression of these) is a bonus.

I'll always opt for the car with a bit more power and a bit better handling than the masses, as long as my budget permits.