GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the R like in Winter?

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
Thanks to Al Gore inventing global warming we just got our first real snow of the year here in Vermont today. My drive in to work was great. The roads were largely unplowed, so lots of snow/slush on the road. Tons of traction from stopped, great braking, could only get it to slide the smallest amount when I really tried to get it to slide, like when the parking lot was wide open I did a nice powerslide into my office, and immediately snapped out of it and tracking straight the second I stopped goofing off.

Went out to grab some lunch, and there were plenty of cars on the road, so just 100% normal driving, and perfectly planted, great braking, no sliding at all.

It seems like it's going to be a very capable car in the winter, based on the 10 or so miles I've driven today, the only time I can get it to slide or break free at all is when there were no cars around and I was basically experimenting to see when exactly it would break. The limits seemed very high.

I've got the car on 18" Michelin XIce Xi3 tires. So far, on a very small amount of experience with the car in snow, I'm very happy.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I saw a great video of a R on youtube doing donuts and driving around in deep unplowed snow, wish I could find it (it was around when the first press release happened on the frozen Swedish lake).

Here you go with a couple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWtpNS_9VdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQheUFm140

These came from the first European press launch for the Mk7 R--it says a lot about the car's winter capabilities when VW introduces the car to the world's automotive journalists on a frozen Swedish lake.

Here's a text-based article on that press event:
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140129-volkswagens-on-ice

TahoeR

Ready to race!
I have a 2016 R 6 speed mt. Put on a set of Nokian snow tires at the start of winter. The car RIPS in snow. The ONLY 'issues' will be clearance on big days and the space in the wheel wells is something to watch when things get snotty and frozen. You'll hear some rubbing which could potentially cause damage to some plastic if you don't knock off off some of the ice. End of an ice scraper works, broom handle, etc.

Otherwise cars like this in general are FAR better than any SUV or truck. The lower center of gravity offers much greater control and it's more predictable. And the power of the R allows you to drift at will and also correct quickly if needed. Added bonus is the comfort mode in the suspension which makes the car a touch softer for snow pot holes and generally better snow driving conditions.

PabloX

I have a 2016 R 6MT with Blizzak WS80s on the stock 18" wheels. I'm coming from a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 5MT wagon and before that, a '98 A4 1.8T quattro.

So far, we've had one decent winter storm here and the R did great. It has plenty of traction and so far, I'm pretty impressed with the WS80s (I also did a 200 mile trip in the dry on them). My only slight gripes with regard to winter use are:

-The previous two cars were easier to get the tail to come out and have some fun. I should withhold judgement a bit here though as I haven't had a lot of time to get used to the car.

- The wiper arms need to be put in the service position before they can be raised off the windshield. That's a PITA. If ice is coming, I just want to walk out to the car and lift them up, instead of getting in, turning the ignition on and off to get to the service position function.

lcubed

Ready to race!
I have a 2016 R 6MT with Blizzak WS80s on the stock 18" wheels. I'm coming from a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 5MT wagon and before that, a '98 A4 1.8T quattro.

So far, we've had one decent winter storm here and the R did great. It has plenty of traction and so far, I'm pretty impressed with the WS80s (I also did a 200 mile trip in the dry on them). My only slight gripes with regard to winter use are:

-The previous two cars were easier to get the tail to come out and have some fun. I should withhold judgement a bit here though as I haven't had a lot of time to get used to the car.

- The wiper arms need to be put in the service position before they can be raised off the windshield. That's a PITA. If ice is coming, I just want to walk out to the car and lift them up, instead of getting in, turning the ignition on and off to get to the service position function.

did you fully disable the ESC by holding down the ESC button for multiple seconds before trying to get the tail to hang out??

PabloX

did you fully disable the ESC by holding down the ESC button for multiple seconds before trying to get the tail to hang out??

Yes.

My guess is that the R is less inclined to do it due to the more front biased AWD system, more front biased weight and less rear overhang, but that's a guess.

I'll give it another try in the next snow storm.

chirikotoji

Passed Driver's Ed
Very capable car in the winter. I sold my truck and went to a golf R. Just did a 200km trip from toronto to london during first storm and I was in the snow lane most of the way :D. Just have to be careful since the car is a lot lower to the ground. It was already lower than other golfs from factory and I lowered it another .75" with the vwr springs.