GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the R like in Winter?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
It’s a wonderful winter car for sure! I have just driven Tiguan in the summer so I can’t compare them during winter conditions, in any case they are very different.

It’s a very stable car with stud free winter tyres (225/40/18 Nokian WR A3). I prefer “sporty” tyres on Golf R, it will be much more wobbly with studs, as my Golf 7 TSI 1.4 is with 190 studs per tyre high profile 16”.

The 4wd helps but as we all know braking distance will be the same as for a 2wd :D. You can enjoy yourself with the "ESP" off in the snow. This year we nearly haven’t had any snow yet it’s a warm winter so far.....

/Peter

Nicholascanada

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s a wonderful winter car for sure! I have just driven Tiguan in the summer so I can’t compare them during winter conditions, in any case they are very different.

It’s a very stable car with stud free winter tyres (225/40/18 Nokian WR A3). I prefer “sporty” tyres on Golf R, it will be much more wobbly with studs, as my Golf 7 TSI 1.4 is with 190 studs per tyre high profile 16”.

The 4wd helps but as we all know braking distance will be the same as for a 2wd :D. You can enjoy yourself with the "ESP" off in the snow. This year we nearly haven’t had any snow yet it’s a warm winter so far.....

/Peter

Thanks!

Any issues with ground clearance or wheel wells filling up with snow since it sits low?

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
It's really been great...

However haven't driven in the snow because it has been 60 degrees here in the mitten.

I have Blizzak LM-60s for whenever the powder comes.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Thanks!

Any issues with ground clearance or wheel wells filling up with snow since it sits low?

It has about the same ground clearance as my former Golf 6 GTI. Haven’t had any problem with the GTI nor the R during one and a half winter seasons (have had the R for 21 months). Good heating as well.

/Peter

babarnicle

I live in Colorado where we are having consistent snow and cold. The golf R with dedicated Blizzak's is absolutely phenomenal on packed snow, ice, and slush. No snow build up in the wheel wells, but clearance is an issue when new snow comes. The car just sits low. But unless you are driving in untracked back roads, the car is amazing for winter driving.

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
I live in Colorado where we are having consistent snow and cold. The golf R with dedicated Blizzak's is absolutely phenomenal on packed snow, ice, and slush. No snow build up in the wheel wells, but clearance is an issue when new snow comes. The car just sits low. But unless you are driving in untracked back roads, the car is amazing for winter driving.

you are making me miss my mk4R32! :(

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I live in Philadelphia and so far we've had a Southern California winter. BUT, if a normal winter ever arrives again, I'll let you know; my R is running 18" Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's.

Nicholascanada

Passed Driver's Ed

What happens clearance wise for deep snow? Do you get hung up with your Blizzak's on?

tofur99

Ready to race!
I saw a great video of a R on youtube doing donuts and driving around in deep unplowed snow, wish I could find it (it was around when the first press release happened on the frozen Swedish lake).

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
The car is amazing in snow. I live in Alberta Canada and we def have the snow to play with. I just did a 2400km round trip thru the rockies and the car was planted. Love it.

Starbucker

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks!

I'm in Central Oregon and we had about 16 inches that fell overnight some weeks back. I plowed my way into my house and pushed at least 4-6 inches of snow 250 yards down my driveway. Since then we have had on/off snow with overnight freezes so have had rubbing frequently on packed snow/ice. Also took it over the pass a bunch of times. R is a snow beast, I'm running 18in Dunlop winter tires and have never been stuck, great feel and I'm frequently moving faster than all the other traffic. More clearance would be nice, but that's what my Expedition is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk