GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track Guys - Pedal Relocate

Not_Sean

Hey guys,

So after some shake downs with the new track car, Wanted to ask someone who's done a strip down of a mk5. The brake pedal/ Both pedals how much of a mission would it be to move them over, Found they sit way to far over and not centered, which is great daily driving, but having both feet on the pedals was just weird with it at such a angle.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Sorry - can't really help with your exact question, as I've not attempted it.

I have a Mk2 Scirocco track car and never noticed any problem with the basic pedal location. However, I did find that I had to add a brake pedal height extender (a block about 1" / 24mm) to bring the pedal closer to me, and a "wider" accelerator pedal (thus moving the left edge closer to the brake pedal), both to assist with heel & toe shifting.

Am in the process of converting from the original 1.8 liter 8 valve to a Mk4 1.8 liter turbo - which requires a drive by wire throttle, different brake booster arrangement, and a hydraulic clutch. I can personally tell you (assuming you have a cage in the car) such modifications in that lower region are an absolutely huge, time consuming, royal pain it the butt. It can take days to fab & mount the conversion pieces and you better be a skinny, nimble little guy to work in that area!!

I do know a guy with similar Mk2 car who installed a Tilton pedal set-up. Expect it wold be more adjustable, but never asked him how much time/work was involved.

Guess the first think I'd try would be to get in there (upside down) and see if VW allowed for any side to side adjustment slots of the mounting bolts. I'd really doubt it, but obviously they did have to make provisions for your right hand drive, so maybe looking or a friendly chat with a local professional VW mechanic would be worthwhile.

Hum - if you are a smaller frame guy, you might consider a narrow race seat - which might allow for mounting a bit offset from a normal factory seat. But I suppose then the steering wheel might become an annoyance.

Will be interested to hear what you decide to so.