GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track car vs. Daily Driver

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
MX5. Just do it.

Start with that because its fun and relatively cheap. If the track day thing really takes off then you can raise the bar a little.

Unless you have the cash to go all out and get a Caterham or similar, haha.

Something like this would be good, I think it may still be for sale but not sure. I know the guy and have been around QR as a passenger for a few laps.. so much fun. Fairly good lap times too.

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67246611

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
A dedicated track car would be good but you've got to have somewhere to store it for the 360 days of the year it's not being used.

A couple of other cars worth considering are Integra Type Rs and older WRXs.

Still, there's something about a competitive daily driver that appeals to me. Robby's S3 is a good example (and mine of course:smile:)

huy

Retired Racer
get a dedicated track car for sure. i had one car and i raced it often, i would go to work the next day and something would be broken or just worn out. not fun.

DEEJ

Ready to race!
Just a different point of view...

I remember vividly having a long conversation with a guy at Phillip Island one day about his dedicated track car vs just rocking up to the track like I did. He said the worst thing he ever did was to buy a dedicated track car as he said it became a job not a hobby. when he tracked his daily car, he'd do a quick check-up drive it to the track, go hard then go home.

When he bought a dedicated car, he said the whole game changed. He said he's always be modding it, so it needed a trailer, then it had to be prepared as he was always breaking down and needing repairs because he bought an old car (cost consideration) and heavily modded it for track.

Basically, he said he was addicted but it wasn't fun like it used to be when he just got into his car, drove to the track and had a blast for the day. It became too serious. He advised me unless I was going to get into racing, to just keep it simple and cheap and to only track my daily cars.

I took his advice and never spent too much on my cars and always bought cars in warranty that I could on-sell after a year or two.

I recently just bought a really low km manual e46 M3 with warranty from a BMW dealership purely for weekend driving and trackdays (my gf will drive it during the week as I don't want to rack up high k's on it and she works close to where we live)

For me this is perfect and I can be happy knowing that any problems associated with hard driving/track will be covered by BMW and not my savings.

my 2c

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Here's a video link a mate gave me of him doing 3 laps of Phillip Island in a MX-5 Turbo (actually the most developed one in AUS):

Pretty cool.

Jig

Flow Motion
Get a separate track car. Never believed in having a daily driver and track car in the same chassis.

Lotus Exige S is the best track car I have experienced of them all. I'd buy it again if I have room in my house to store it.

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
Here's a video link a mate gave me of him doing 3 laps of Phillip Island in a MX-5 Turbo (actually the most developed one in AUS):

Pretty cool.

Not bad, but do you notice the blue exige that left him behind, thats Tim Mackie and that SC Honda beats all the GT3 Porches etc...:thumbsup:
The orange Exige is only running a 200HP Rover Kseries engine:yikes:
It's owned by the guy that owns CUE clothing brand for woman... It is now red and has a SC Honda in it and will also leave the MX5 for dead..:lol:

If you are going to spend enough to by a turbo MX5 you sould look at a S1
Lotus Elise, far better as a track..:thumbsup:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Yeah mate i found it interesting to watch. Those Lotus are awesome, shame some people are trying to get them banned from production racing.

Last edited:

AKs-R32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
180sx or S13, PLENTY of cheap spare parts, can cop a good beating and plenty of modification potential if wanting more power!! just don't get a CA18!! SR20 FTW!! END OF THREAD!!!

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
My thoughts are turning idly in the direction of:

MX-5 1.6 (Early <7K)
VB-VL Commodore (either V8 or if VL 3.0L)
Silvia/Skyline/180SX

depends which class you wanna compete in?

btw if you are going for a early MX5, get the 1.8 (NA8)! Will save you alot of $ in the future