GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Since you guys have me thinking of a new vehicle, what is your opinion on something like the Golf R vs the newer Audi A3 sedan. Other than obvious differences like the door count, the base Audi starts at a lower price.

Just by going through the "Build Your Car" things with what I want in a car, I could have the A3 for about 4 grand less. I wouldn't buy new, but it was the fastest way to compare specs and prices. The Golf R looks to win in HP, but I'd assume the Audi would be a bit more luxurious and still looks to have 20 more horsepower stock than my GTI. Is the Golf R really that inflated by the rarity?

live4something

Ready to race!
Since you guys have me thinking of a new vehicle, what is your opinion on something like the Golf R vs the newer Audi A3 sedan. Other than obvious differences like the door count, the base Audi starts at a lower price.

Just by going through the "Build Your Car" things with what I want in a car, I could have the A3 for about 4 grand less. I wouldn't buy new, but it was the fastest way to compare specs and prices. The Golf R looks to win in HP, but I'd assume the Audi would be a bit more luxurious and still looks to have 20 more horsepower stock than my GTI. Is the Golf R really that inflated by the rarity?
Good deals can be had on 6Rs. Especially since the 7R is out now. The one I bought has 26k miles and everything listed below.

I paid 25500

- APR Stage 2+ ( Includes stock, 91, 93 and 100 tunes) w No Lift Shift
- APR BT dongle
- APR TBE
- APR Downpipe
- APR Intercooler
- APR HPFP-
- Gfb diverter valve
- HS Tuning RSR Clutch w Stock Flywheel
- VWR CAI
- P3 multi function Gauge in Blue with APR boost tap
- VWR Sport Springs
- VWR sway bars
- HPA Dog Bone Insert
- LED Interior lights-
- Double Apex USB

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

Are you talking about a Mk6 R or Mk7? I'm personally not the biggest fan of sedans so the Golf automatically wins that war, but I also don't like the round vents in the A3. And I don't think you can get any manual "quattro" A3 if that's a factor.

Think of the Mk6 R as an AWD KO4 MkV GTI, because that's exactly what it is, with Mk6 exterior and interior. Sure there are some suspension differences and what not, but it's essentially 85% the same car.

Good deals can be had on 6Rs. Especially since the 7R is out now. The one I bought has 26k miles and everything listed below.

I paid 25500

- APR Stage 2+ ( Includes stock, 91, 93 and 100 tunes) w No Lift Shift
- APR BT dongle
- APR TBE
- APR Downpipe
- APR Intercooler
- APR HPFP-
- Gfb diverter valve
- HS Tuning RSR Clutch w Stock Flywheel
- VWR CAI
- P3 multi function Gauge in Blue with APR boost tap
- VWR Sport Springs
- VWR sway bars
- HPA Dog Bone Insert
- LED Interior lights-
- Double Apex USB

Not a bad price, however, with that said, aftermarket parts don't add value to the car. They usually take away from it.

live4something

Ready to race!
Think of the Mk6 R as an AWD KO4 MkV GTI, because that's exactly what it is, with Mk6 exterior and interior.

Not a bad price, however, with that said, aftermarket parts don't add value to the car. They usually take away from it.

Yea, I just have an AWD version of my GTI with a nicer interior. Feels real good to have traction lol

Let's be realistic. Do aftermarket parts negatively effect resale for a dealer? Absolutely. When selling it private party with enthusiasts being the target audience, mods can and do increase value. Regardless I got it a little under blue book

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are you talking about a Mk6 R or Mk7? I'm personally not the biggest fan of sedans so the Golf automatically wins that war, but I also don't like the round vents in the A3. And I don't think you can get any manual "quattro" A3 if that's a factor.

The price quotes were from 2016 model years, but realistically I'd end up in a used MK6 (hopefully CPO). Transmission would be auto regardless, I'm just too lazy of a driver. Living in Atlanta traffic has only confirmed that for me. It would basically come down to hatch versus sedan at this point. I love my hatch, but I haven't had to move stuff like I used to. I've never owned a sedan though, but photos of lowered ones have been intriguing me lately.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yea, I just have an AWD version of my GTI with a nicer interior. Feels real good to have traction lol

Let's be realistic. Do aftermarket parts negatively effect resale for a dealer? Absolutely. When selling it private party with enthusiasts being the target audience, mods can and do increase value. Regardless I got it a little under blue book

Haha, I hear you with the traction part. Hoping the LSD helps in that department! I don't really take my GTI out in the wet weather now that I have a DD. And yes, you're right with the second part. I was definitely referring to it from a dealer standpoint.

live4something

Ready to race!
While we're on the subject, trying to figure out what to do with the neuspeed RSe05 currently on the GTI. I think they look funky at the current ride height on the R.

So I could sell/trade them for something else. End up spending some to get something I like unless I sell the stock wheels(R) as well.

Oooorrrr, buy coils (probably MFactory tester) lower the car a little more and sell the current suspension and stock wheels/tires and hopefully break even.

For reference on how it looks/could look with the RSe05

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
What size tires? Looks pretty chunky. I wish I had the money for the setup; I'd buy it off you. Those are pretty light wheels...

live4something

Ready to race!
What size tires? Looks pretty chunky. I wish I had the money for the setup; I'd buy it off you. Those are pretty light wheels...
245/40/17

I really like the wheels, just not how they sit on the R in its current state. I am a fan of how the car handles and feels with the VWR springs though. Did way better in the San Diego canyons than I expected a spring/stock damper combo to do. I went through the canyons on my way out of SD with the previous owner and his modded B8 S4.

On the GTI

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, so weird because I think Mk6 fender lines are exactly the same. Did you ever do a FTG measurement on the MkV? Maybe that's the difference, but the GTI does look about .3-.5" lower.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
245/40/17

I really like the wheels, just not how they sit on the R in its current state. I am a fan of how the car handles and feels with the VWR springs though. Did way better in the San Diego canyons than I expected a spring/stock damper combo to do. I went through the canyons on my way out of SD with the previous owner and his modded B8 S4.

I love those wheels. I've always been a fan of 17" 5 spokes and chunky tires. If they didn't need to be shipped, I'd definitely be interested.

live4something

Ready to race!
I love those wheels. I've always been a fan of 17" 5 spokes and chunky tires. If they didn't need to be shipped, I'd definitely be interested.
Fairly certain I'm going to be a round 2 tester for the MFactory coilovers and keep the wheels. Pending some discussions with MFactory. I want to make sure they have an AWD specific version to account for the added weight

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Fairly certain I'm going to be a round 2 tester for the MFactory coilovers and keep the wheels. Pending some discussions with MFactory. I want to make sure they have an AWD specific version to account for the added weight

Makes sense. The color is nice. Would look nice on my tornado red haha. Maybe I'll just PlastiDip my stock Classix... What made you go with black for the rub strips?