GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Anyone with a MKV and a multimeter want to help me do some quick testing? Need a car thats together to test the brake switch. VW used a hall effect position sensor mounted on the master cylinder and I need to know the voltage sweeps so I can make a defeat device that I can mount to a switch in the cabin

live4something

Ready to race!
Anyone with a MKV and a multimeter want to help me do some quick testing? Need a car thats together to test the brake switch. VW used a hall effect position sensor mounted on the master cylinder and I need to know the voltage sweeps so I can make a defeat device that I can mount to a switch in the cabin
I can do it tonight, if you still need it

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
MKV GTI brake position switch​

The brake switch and position sensor is located on the brake master cylinder on the passenger side. The switch is a 4 wire sensor with a light switch side and a position sensing side for ABS and ESP control. The hall sensor is a transducer that varies its output voltage in response to a magnetic field. The Hall element is combined with circuitry that allows the device to act in different output modes and provides an analog signal output while the switched side provides a digital on/off signal.

Signal testing​

Position sensing side: Pin 3 (black/red), Pin 4 (black/purple)
1. Key ON vehicle
2. Backprobe with “T” pins into connector terminal 3 and 4. Measure voltage with brakes in normal position and record voltage.
3. Measure voltage with brakes depressed and record measurement. Make sure voltage sweeps are consistent and are repeatable.

Brake switch side: Pin 1 (white/green), Pin 2 (brown)

1. Make sure key is in OFF position
2. Backprobe the connector with “T” pins.
3. Check resistance between pins 1 and 2. After applying brakes, one way should show open (O.L.), the other should show closed (<0.5V).

live4something

Ready to race!
MKV GTI brake position switch​

The brake switch and position sensor is located on the brake master cylinder on the passenger side. The switch is a 4 wire sensor with a light switch side and a position sensing side for ABS and ESP control. The hall sensor is a transducer that varies its output voltage in response to a magnetic field. The Hall element is combined with circuitry that allows the device to act in different output modes and provides an analog signal output while the switched side provides a digital on/off signal.

Signal testing​

Position sensing side: Pin 3 (black/red), Pin 4 (black/purple)
1. Key ON vehicle
2. Backprobe with “T” pins into connector terminal 3 and 4. Measure voltage with brakes in normal position and record voltage.
3. Measure voltage with brakes depressed and record measurement. Make sure voltage sweeps are consistent and are repeatable.

Brake switch side: Pin 1 (white/green), Pin 2 (brown)

1. Make sure key is in OFF position
2. Backprobe the connector with “T” pins.
3. Check resistance between pins 1 and 2. After applying brakes, one way should show open (O.L.), the other should show closed (<0.5V).
Ran out of time tonight. Tomorrow should be good though.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Did you ever get a chance to test that switch?

If I knew what terms like "backprobe" and "resistance" meant, I'd try to help you out, but I don't really know how to use my multimeter other than to check voltage.

live4something

Ready to race!
If I knew what terms like "backprobe" and "resistance" meant, I'd try to help you out, but I don't really know how to use my multimeter other than to check voltage.
Hah back-probing is nothing more than placing one of the T-pins he mentioned into the base of the wire by the connector to get a signal from the portion of the wire without insulation.

Resistance is measured in ohms and the symbol almost looks like a circlip

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hah back-probing is nothing more than placing one of the T-pins he mentioned into the base of the wire by the connector to get a signal from the portion of the wire without insulation.

Resistance is measured in ohms and the symbol almost looks like a circlip
Sounds not too horrible. Unfortunately I have an annoying engine cover that I don't feel like removing.

Eric, if you still don't get what you need in a couple weeks, I can do it when I'm putting a fresh cam follower in.