GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Just think of it this way. The 5.0 V8 is rated at 555 ft/lb. Our inline six 6.7 is rated at 895. Only 1.7 L more displacement but basically 350 more ft/lbs before aftermarket parts are slapped on with a tune. I haven't looked at advertised numbers after deleting the emissions parts and basic bolt ons with the 6.7 but I bet it could pull the truck that was pulling your truck that's towing a boat

Engine will take mods to the moon.

But transmission on the other hand from everything ive gathered is the stumbling block.

Man though, even 100% stock. Pulls my setup so nice.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Lame. Threw a P0301 tonight. Cylinder 1 Misfire. Car super-stuttered on normal acceleration and the engine light started flashing and eventually stopped when I let off. Took it easy after turning around and heading home and everything was fine. Plugs looked okay (and are only 10k miles old); at least plug 1 and 2 looked like they were burning the same. Swapped coils 1 and 2 but it got too dark to finish, so I'll have to give it a test drive tomorrow to see if the fault follows the coil to cylinder 2. If I have to replace coils, it's best to do all 4, right?

I :wub: my car.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Might as well do all 4 especially if they're an older revision

Yeah, I swapped them to see if it's the coil, so we'll see today. My dad seems to think it could have been a carbon deposit or possibly condensation in the gas tank since the temperatures in the south have been fluctuating so much lately. Just have to rule one thing out at a time.

Edit: Car is still misfiring. Didn't misfire bad enough to throw a code though, so I'll have to take it for another drive later to see if it's moved to cylinder 2. Only seems to be happening on moderate acceleration.

Edit edit: Confirmed it's the coil. Code thrown tonight was P0302, or misfire cylinder 2. Going to order a set off of ECS.

Anyone know the difference between these and which I want for a stock drivetrain?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/Coil/ES2065380/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/Coil/ES260103/

If I can save $30, that would be great...

Last edited:

Corgon

Ready to race!
Hey happy last hour of thanksgiving and good luck with black friday/cyber monday deals! I'm just sitting at my apt at Uni because I have too much studying to do to go home :(

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Happy belated-Thanksgiving.

New coil packs are in... Car runs like new. I wonder how long I was running on 3.5 cylinders...

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Posting in this thread because I refuse to let it die (insert beating dead horse line here).

So, here's my stupid question for the day. How do you all check your oil? This is the first time I've ever lived in a community that has exactly zero flat spots in the parking lot, so my car is always on a hill. Is there a way to compensate or is the amount negligible? Also, do you check it when the engine is hot or cold? Does it matter?

Edit: Scratch that.
TL;DR = RTFM

Last edited:

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Posting in this thread because I refuse to let it die (insert beating dead horse line here).

So, here's my stupid question for the day. How do you all check your oil? This is the first time I've ever lived in a community that has exactly zero flat spots in the parking lot, so my car is always on a hill. Is there a way to compensate or is the amount negligible? Also, do you check it when the engine is hot or cold? Does it matter?

Edit: Scratch that.
TL;DR = RTFM
I tend to check my oil when I'm fueling up. 99% of all fuel stations will be level ground. Also, hot or cold I doubt it matters. Just make sure the car is not running when you check it.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I tend to check my oil when I'm fueling up. 99% of all fuel stations will be level ground. Also, hot or cold I doubt it matters. Just make sure the car is not running when you check it.

Thanks. Good point on the gas station. Never thought of that since I have been checking the level cold for the last 7-ish years haha.