GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS 510 - Premium Bluetooth

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
That is the $600 standard install and is NOT the premium system.
Need to ask more questions before letting them near your car in future.

Dingah

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Just tell them to shove it, and get a Parrot CK3100 or Bury CC9060 (can be fully voice driven and read out sms). I get the feeling the dealer is still not selling the proper premium kits (ie Skoda OEM) but calling them Premium.

And wait for the installer to stuff it up, short out the canbus and blew the RNS510 up :lol:

I wouldn't worry about that feature Maverick, streaming music via bluetooth sounds crap (although some people may like that feature).

I wouldn't be interested in that feature, it's pretty pointless.

The Skoda Kit is the way to go, no worries about integration, frying the canbus and it has all the features and is top notch quality.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
That is the $600 standard install and is NOT the premium system.
Need to ask more questions before letting them near your car in future.

Dingah

Volkswagen dealers need to be more up front with information as well. It's not a bloody toaster we're buying so specs should be provided, even a demo rather then the lame accessory catalog and for park sensors and bluetooth all you get is the line "factory" and they take your $500-$900 and fit some cheap rubbish.

Especially the reverse sensor scam... "same as the factory", "as if they came from the factory" and so on all to me mean they should look identical as the factory sensors because they should be factory fit flush sensors with the proper VW controller and proper fitment, but instead the dealers fit a $30-50 cheap kit and pocket the $800 that they charged you.

In the case of this bluetooth they should give you a flyer on it with details on how it works or have a demo there for you. People's expectations are higher then what is being delivered which is a basic no frills car kit. VW Australia have had plenty of time to get this sorted out and there is a kit that has been suitable for years in the form of the Skoda/VW kit that they could have had fitted at the factory or the dealer, but instead they choose to mess around with Parrot and other companies producing inferior kits that are nowhere near as good as the Skoda/VW kits.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
And wait for the installer to stuff it up, short out the canbus and blew the RNS510 up :lol:

I'm sure it wont fry it, especially if you go to a quality installer. What about all the people in the US plugging in canbus connects2 kits?

How many people have fried their canbus on this site?

But i agree it's a pita, nice to keep the factory integration, but people should buy directly from VRS stu etc. But besides yourself there aren't too many people that will install it including the dealer i assume?

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure it wont fry it, especially if you go to a quality installer. What about all the people in the US plugging in canbus connects2 kits?

There are not many quality installers out there.

How many people have fried their canbus on this site?

At least one, and VW rejected the warranty claim as the installer had stuffed up the wiring, it worked for a while but the RNS510 was destroyed a short time later. VW actually replaced it after about 6 months.

But i agree it's a pita, nice to keep the factory integration, but people should buy directly from VRS stu etc. But besides yourself there aren't too many people that will install it including the dealer i assume?

Comes back to the same problem of finding an installer who knows what they're doing and there are not that many out there who are familiar with the Golf and I wouldn't trust the cars reliability with the average installer.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
I agree with you maverick, but not the perception that the dealer or service team are automatically smarter or better at doing things. A few of the noobs broke my air vent on the centre console when i took it in, but at least with warranty the ball is in their court.

So will VW install a third party Premium Skoda kit if you take it there? I've heard of someone lately but doubt ever dealer would as they are not making anything out of the kit itself.

I don't know too much about what connectors parrots use but it could be more fiddley than i thought, but assumed you can always get a connector or wiring loom that just plugs into the canbus (but this is your field of expertise :smile:).

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I agree with you maverick, but not the perception that the dealer or service team are automatically smarter or better at doing things. A few of the noobs broke my air vent on the centre console when i took it in, but at least with warranty the ball is in their court.

The good thing is that the dealer always replaces the part, dodgy installer would have used some gum, super glue and a rubber band.

So will VW install a third party Premium Skoda kit if you take it there? I've heard of someone lately but doubt ever dealer would as they are not making anything out of the kit itself.

I'm sure it depends on the dealer but if you're a customer of theirs I'm sure they will do it, after all they charge out at around $100 an hour.

I don't know too much about what connectors parrots use but it could be more fiddley than i thought, but assumed you can always get a connector or wiring loom that just plugs into the canbus (but this is your field of expertise :smile:).

Some of them have harnesses that plug and play and some don't. Some connect to the can bus but I think all the after market (ie not from VW) don't have any CANBUS interface.

FattyBoomba

Live life in the R Lane!
Car(s)
Golf R32 Mark V
I can confirm I bought the Skoda Premium Bluetooth kit from Stu, and when it arrived from overseas, then took it to Barloworld VW - Mascot and asked them to install it. I had to printout the 7 page instructions with pictures to make it easier for them (since they had no instructions handy for this unit) and they charged me $225 to do the install. They did it perfectly, and followed every step to completion, and all features work properly. Best of all.. my Warranty is intact in regards to the unit stuffing up OR worse still future frying of the RNS-510 if it ever occurs, because my dealer installed it NOT ME.. ;-)

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
:w00t:

Dingah

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
You did well Nick, when i originally bout my skoda kit it was looking pretty hard to find a place to do it up here (besides mav). Although audio specialty places like Northfield would if you were getting other stuff too.

RooGT

Sure enough, my install turned out to be just the basic unit! It works fine, but no integration (other than muting) with the RNS510. Dealer is being very helpful though, saying they got bad info from VW Australia.

Maverick, presuming I can talk them into fitting the Skoda kit for me (they are the Skoda dealer as well), can you confirm whether or not the steering wheel controls work as well with that?

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Sure enough, my install turned out to be just the basic unit! It works fine, but no integration (other than muting) with the RNS510. Dealer is being very helpful though, saying they got bad info from VW Australia.

Maverick, presuming I can talk them into fitting the Skoda kit for me (they are the Skoda dealer as well), can you confirm whether or not the steering wheel controls work as well with that?

Yep they do, find my thread on the RNS510 and Premium Bluetooth and I have all the photos of the integration. You get MFD integration, RNS510 integration and voice commands from the * button on the steering wheel. (The phone button on the wheel doesn't work)

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Get your dealer to chase EXACTLY when they are accepting deivery of the Australian-sourced Premium Bluetooth with full RNS510 interface - theoretcially it's due around now.

Dingah

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
You get MFD integration, RNS510 integration and voice commands from the * button on the steering wheel. (The phone button on the wheel doesn't work)

Just wondering maverick are the voice commands to navigate through the options, and/or do you to still save voice tags on the phone itself for voice dialling?

Surprising that the phone button on the wheel doesn't work to place/answer calls. Is it only the vw parrot that does it?