GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting USB HUB (2 ports working with CarPlay/AndroidAuto/Storage)

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
54749D72-7E2B-48AD-A793-6A601DB7C33C.jpeg

9523F315-1B8A-4A77-8164-51D67D6BBB6B.jpeg

Added the hub to my NA 2017 GTI SE about a year ago. Both USB-ports are Apple-ready. The good news is I got it to work, the bad news is unfortunately not consistently. For whatever reason sometimes both ports were working, other times only one, and randomly none. Sometimes a headunit restart helped, unfortunately not always.

Life went on and I pulled everything back out to get a single port working consistently.

Watching the thread to resolve it on my car one day… maybe?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
View attachment 242579
View attachment 242581

Added the hub to my NA 2017 GTI SE about a year ago. Both USB-ports are Apple-ready. The good news is I got it to work, the bad news is unfortunately not consistently. For whatever reason sometimes both ports were working, other times only one, and randomly none. Sometimes a headunit restart helped, unfortunately not always.

Life went on and I pulled everything back out to get a single port working consistently.

Watching the thread to resolve it on my car one day… maybe?

if I am not mistaken I was observing such a behaviour when the HSD cables are straight... they need to be crossed over.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
if I am not mistaken I was observing such a behaviour when the HSD cables are straight... they need to be crossed over.
Thanks Davide. I have used the following HSD cables for the purple and brown outlets. At the green plug the modified HSD cable that came from the factory. Without the HUB attached both USB-ports I have worked flawlessly. I even tried a different USB-Hub w/ the same result. Makes me wonder if the HSD cable(s) are the issue or the HU.
HSD_Cable.jpg

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
@ZERO815

the diagram you attached shows the cable as crossed over so they should be ok. man, I honestly cannot remember and I did not take notes right after completing the retrofit, but I remember struggling with cables a bit. like maybe, the one from 5F to hub is straight, the purple needs cross over and the brown needs straight again. or maybe who knows, if cheap chinese cable they say it's crossed, but is it actually? double check!

I would suggest you simply try all different combinations and write down the steps as you go, with 3 cables it shouldn't be much work.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
@ZERO815

the diagram you attached shows the cable as crossed over so they should be ok. man, I honestly cannot remember and I did not take notes right after completing the retrofit, but I remember struggling with cables a bit. like maybe, the one from 5F to hub is straight, the purple needs cross over and the brown needs straight again. or maybe who knows, if cheap chinese cable they say it's crossed, but is it actually? double check!

I would suggest you simply try all different combinations and write down the steps as you go, with 3 cables it shouldn't be much work.
I'll check the HSD cables once I get back home to my car.

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
I am hoping to try update my 2XX Delphi unit to 6XX tomorrow (assuming my d-link adapter arrives, first one was a fake)

I now have the serial connection working, but it seems to only spew log data (which is interesting to see as I now know the app names I want to interrogate, as the tmc program isn’t working properly in my country) but no login prompt via serial

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
Updated testbench Delphi to 0631D
carplay now works on USB2, but USB1 is still not working, (swapped adapters and cables with no change)
I also checked the wiring of both HSD cables from hub -> usb ports and they are both crossover

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Confirming that 04xx supports this USB HUB.
I can play MP3 files from USB1 and USB2. I can use CarPlay/AndroidAuto over USB1 and USB2.
I can even have two AppConnect device plugged in at the same time.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 587
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 410
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 375

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So the hub works w/ non-carplay USB ports only?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
So the hub works w/ non-carplay USB ports only?
Actually it's even more complicated. But let me try to explain:

CarPlay enabled port (726 E) is required for CarPlay, because there's an MFI chip inside. So this port is actually an 2xUSB HUB (from technical point of view) with one of the ports available for user, and the other port internally and permanently connected to the MFI chip.

USB HUB that I used is technically a 4xUSB HUB (1 port for internal MFI chip, 3 ports are external). If you connect the 726 E port to the hub, you are connecting a HUB with a HUB. This would work on a PC but not on MIB.

As far as I know: if you have the USB HUB installed, you can only get it to work with standard (passive) USB ports/connectors.