GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting USB HUB (2 ports working with CarPlay/AndroidAuto/Storage)

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
IMG_0387.jpg

Please keep in mind that I'm not finished with this retrofit yet, and I appreciate any input from more experienced users.

Why?

• I want to have two USB ports. One for media drive, one for wireless CarPlay.
  • It's cheaper to retrofit USB HUB than to replace standard USB port (5Q0-035-726-F) with CarPlay-enabled port (5Q0-035-726-E).

Parts​

• VW USB HUB 5G0-035-953-D (paid $6 for used one)
  • USB HUB holder / mounting bracket
  • USB port on a HSD cable https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AFY3Kw ($5 from AliExpress)
  • Fuse terminal for the fusebox
  • 4-pin red connector to power the USB HUB
  • Usual stuff, like wires, isolation tape, heat shrinking tubes.

HUB power supply pinout (red plug)​

Code:
1 - +12V (Red/Blue) to fuseholder C, fuse 16 (7.5A)
2 - GND (Brown) MIB, Quadlock, green, pin 4
3 - N/A
4 - +5V trigger (White/Blue) MIB, Quadlock, green, pin 3

Adding circuit to the cabin fusebox​

Best to disassemble dashboard elements on the drivers side. This will allow you to release the cabin fusebox from its mounting points. Accessing rear of the fuse box will allow you to insert new terminal for the additional fuse in slot 16. You can use zip tie to guide the terminal into the correct place.
Check how I've done it when installing RVC-High camera wiring @ 21:25.

Connecting GND and +5V trigger​

Those two lines are coming from the MIB2 main unit in the glovebox. Some vehicles already have those wires guided with the HSD cable to the USB port (as a part of HSD4+2 connector). You will need to unlock the original HSD connector, remove those two wires, and place them in the red plug.

HSD cables​

Code:
Green - to MIB main unit
Purple - to USB1
Brown - to USB2
Black - to optional accessories
The RNS/RCD cable from AliExpress mentioned above is using different pin layout than we want. But all we need to do is remove the locking part from the HSD connector on the cable and connect it to the HUB rotated 180 degrees.

Coding​

Code:
Module: 5F (Information electronics)
Coding → Long Coding → Byte: 19 → Bit: 6 → enable
Coding → Long Coding → Byte: 19 → Bit: 7 → enable
Adaptation → Channel: Interface for external media activation - connection 1 → activated
Adaptation → Channel: Interface for external media activation - connection 2 → activated

Video​

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Today I tried to make it work.
It looks like my unit (MIB2STD by Technisat with 02xx firmware) does not support the HUB. I will try to convert my unit from 02xx to 04xx and try again.

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
Hey @mr-fix

Looking to hear how you retrofit goes (most interested in how you manage to wrangle enough space to insert the connector into the fusebox.) I just ordered a Hub and wiring kit from Aliexpress last night

I was originally just looking to just put a second USB into the centre arm rest cubby to be able to hide away the wireless carplay adapter while still having access to disconnect/reconnect it, but I might also include re routing aux to the centre armrest as if I upgrade the cubby (where the current usb/aux is) to one that is designed for the wireless charging, they don't appear to support the AUX input connector. (worth a thought if you ever plan to retrofit factory wireless charging...

any idea what the Black accessory connector is supposed to be used for? I also ordered a new rear vent with USB from Aliexpress, I was going to wire it into the 12v cigarette adapter, but was am now wondering I can tap off that black connector, and alternative to that is also I could tap off the wiring that is going to the USB hub...

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Installing fuse np. 16 was painful. I managed to do it without disassembling the dashboard but I believe it would be faster and easier to just remove 1/3 of the elements from over there. Will try to explain it a little bit in part 2 of the tutorial.

Black connector is used to power other accessories (I believe it can be used for the OEM wireless charger or some other OEM toll payment system).

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
Been having a dig around online and found a couple of posts of people who have done the retrofit...
https://www.drive2.ru/l/525642425452986584/
https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=574496#p574496 (retrofit on a golf mk7 but on a polo forum :ROFLMAO:)
https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=572550#p572550 (extra wiring info)

looks like I will need to buy new USB connectors for use with the hub, as the current USB connector (which does support carplay) isn't compatible with the hub. could that be the issue with your setup @mr-fix ?

Last edited:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
I knew that the CarPlay enabled port is not going to work, so it was not used by me when testing the HUB.
In fact there were no ports connected to the HUB. Just power and HUB-to-MIB connection. With this setup (and changed adaptation) I can see USB1 and USB2 in media source list. USB1 is greyed out (as expected since there's nothing connected to the HUB) but USB2 is available (which is strange) and unusable at the same time ("device not supported" when selecting USB2 as source).

More strange things: when I go to AppConnect and select Device List, there's a "ghost" entry without a name over there.

And when connecting flash drive to the HUB ports (tried all three) I still have greyed out USB1 in media source menu, but in AppConnect device list I can see the flash drive name (again, on all three ports).

I believe this confirms that the HUB is connected correctly and is not damaged. I assume it misbehaves because of the low firmware version that I still have in my main unit. I will try to perform 02xx to 04xx upgrade soon and report back if this was in fact the reason.

Attachments

• IMG_5854.jpg
    IMG_5854.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 296

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Following this closely. Hope you can get this to work @mr-fix (fingers crossed!)

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
My USB adapters finally just arrived this morning, so connected the hub and usb connectors up to my test bench (Delphi Unit 3Q0 035 846, MST2_EU_VW_P0231D) but I am also having issues.
Only the 2nd USB plug seems to recognise anything. When I plug my iphone in, USB1 doesn't do anything, but USB2 does recognise something, but also says that it isn't supported.
The 2nd USB port does however recognize a USB HDD/Flash Drive.

Will have to test it later this week on my actual car which has a MIB2.5 installed

IMG_2605.JPEG

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@catatonicChimp, I don't have much experience with Delphi, but I believe it's possible to update from MIB2 P02xxD to MIB2.5 (P06xxD or P08xxD?). This might bring support for this USB HUB.

I personally still don't have time to perform the 02xx to 04xx conversion on my Technisat to finish this retrofit. But I believe it will fix my issues. I confirmed that newer vehicles (T-Roc and Polo) came with this exact USB HUB connected from factory to the MIB2STD unit running P04xxT.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I retrofitted the usb hub some time ago and I don't remember the details, but I connected two ports and they both work for CarPlay and flash drives.

I work on cruise ships so I am away from the car for several months at once.

@mr-fix could you possibly elaborate on the MIB2 to MIB2.5 conversion? please?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@davide.bonetti Discover Media (MST2) MIB2 and MIB2.5 devices are internally almost identical. There are some differences (for example in WLAN module in Technisat unit) but it's possible to install MIB2.5 firmware on MIB2 unit.
This will bring new skins (new menu, 6 radio presets, facelift car models in CAR menu), support for additional equipment (Active Info Display, USB HUB hopefully), new features (in-vehicle communication), support for facelift displays (with APP button).

This is also possible for Discover Pro (MHI2) but will require replacing the display, because MIB2 is using 8" and MIB2.5 can only work with 9,2" widescreen with different resolution.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
@mr-fix thanks, but I am kinda confused, based on what you say I might have a MIB2.5 already... so how to determine?

this is the unit:

Part No SW: 3Q0 035 846 A HW: 3Q0 035 846 A
Component: MU-S-N-ER 840 0764

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
What’s you SW Train?

Today I updated successfully from 0254 to 0478 in my Technisat. Will test the HUB in upcoming days.

Attachments

• 37A14B86-95F1-4112-A7CF-3CAB2DC69906.jpeg
    37A14B86-95F1-4112-A7CF-3CAB2DC69906.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 197

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
MU 0764, that's going to be P06xxD in SW Train, right?
I believe the P08xxD series is the most recent. But not sure how to force delphi unit from 06xx to 08xx series.