GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resetting TPMS

Uthor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI - Pk1 - Silv
I switched over the TPMS to a new set of wheels and I was told I need to reset/recalibrate the system. I know I saw a thread on here about it, but I can't seem to find it. Can someone help me out?

Uthor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI - Pk1 - Silv
Weird. I've got my summer wheels in the hatch right now (with TPMS) and it no longer says "Low Pressure" in the MFD (like it did all winter), but the warning light still comes on. We'll see what happens when I put them on the car and drive around a bit.

aliti19

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI w/ PP
try to inflate all the tires up to about 39-40 psi and see if if goes off after a bit.

LBKEN41

Too close for missiles...
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Yeah I'm having the same problem. Shouldn't new TPMS sensors just be plug and play or do I need to do something else?

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
try to inflate all the tires up to about 39-40 psi and see if if goes off after a bit.

I tried this and nothing happened. I'll drive more than a mile on it and see what I get. Not sure what the deal is.:mad0259:

Uthor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI - Pk1 - Silv
I believe new sensors need to be set up for the car (or vice-versa).

My "problem" was that I had my old TPMS put on my new wheels and was told I'd have to reset the system. I was looking for info in case I had to do something. Once I had the new wheels in the car, the low pressure warning went away, but the warning light stayed on. I put the wheels on the car and drove about 30 seconds and it all cleared up. I guess the warning was that the system recognized the TPMS, but was seeing that the tires weren't rotating.

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Yeah so how do I set up new TPMS then? Thanks for the information, but I still need to make the light turns off.

Uthor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI - Pk1 - Silv
Well, I thought I read that you just need to let the car sit while on for 30 minutes. If that doesn't work, then the dealer should do it, but it might cost $$$. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. I'll be sure to update if I run across anything.

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Thanks man. Yeah I'm kind of SOL right now. I don't want to turn off the TPMS light because I paid for the new sensors! Yeah nothing has worked so far.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, I thought I read that you just need to let the car sit while on for 30 minutes. If that doesn't work, then the dealer should do it, but it might cost $$$. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. I'll be sure to update if I run across anything.

you may need to drive the car. i'd suggest pumping them to 40psi cold, and drive for 1-2 hours, and that should clear the light. also, you can check to see if the sensors are reading properly via the vag-com.

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
So what if I have already driven on them at 35 PSI for a little while Dan? If I fill them to 40 PSI and drive for a while, will that clear the code you think? If I still have the light for the next time I see you I might ask you to check out what error I'm getting.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
So what if I have already driven on them at 35 PSI for a little while Dan? If I fill them to 40 PSI and drive for a while, will that clear the code you think? If I still have the light for the next time I see you I might ask you to check out what error I'm getting.

i'd still try to fill them to 40psi cold, and drive around for a while. might or might not work, but worth a shot. if you still have issues, then sure, i can check it out next time we meet.

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Sounds good, thanks for the advice Dan! Sounds like the 27th is a target date of the next GTG.