GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations for stage 1 tuning

jdanlam

Hey guys, im fairly new to the modification world and am planning to get a stage 1 tune for my GTI mkv. I want a fairly aggressive tune but not to the point where it isn't a daily driver anymore. Any recommendations??

Also, how much power gains should i be expecting from a stage 1 tune. Thanks in advance!

fastwire

Ready to race!
I would get the OEM rev. D diverter valve if not already there, also the PCV valve, those things if on a BPY engine.

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
There's not that much difference between stage 1 tunes, so the usual advice is to go with a tuner that has support local to you so that if you have any issues you'll have better access to help

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
United motorsports, Eurodyne, Driver Motorsport. All great tuning companies but the latter one has pretty lackluster communication.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I would avoid UM. I'm not going to trash talk them, they have the best VR6 tune around no doubt, but the 2.0 is another story.

As mentioned above find a tuner that is somewhat local to you. Unitronic, GIAC, APR, Revo, all have good tunes. However APR has the most modest/conservative tune no doubt.

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I cant compare it to anything else, but I love my Unitronic tune. Stage 1 really changed the car - you'll love it. Although to keep in mind, if you plan on going stage 2, unitronic doesnt offer a 91 dedicated program while apr does.

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I would avoid UM. I'm not going to trash talk them, they have the best VR6 tune around no doubt, but the 2.0 is another story.

As mentioned above find a tuner that is somewhat local to you. Unitronic, GIAC, APR, Revo, all have good tunes. However APR has the most modest/conservative tune no doubt.

I disagree, I have the UM tune, seeing more boost now then I was with a Apr stage 2.

About 1500 miles right now with 0 issues.

I'd infact highly recommend the UM tune. Stage one is $499.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Personally I had GIAC, never had a problem with it and it was a 91 octane tune... see my sig for WHP/WTQ. really peps up the car for sure.