GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racing Brake R32 rotor review

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
Rotating mass is 10x more important than sprung weight (body). 10 lbs rotating mass is equal to 100 lbs sprung weight. It's not just the pads. There is a performance difference with lighter rotors. It is very easy to feel during driving conditions.

On the same thought... I threw 17 lb forged wheels on my car from 30 lb huffs... difference is huge

Sent from my rooted Epic 4g.

OneFiftyThree

Passed Driver's Ed
Rotating mass is 10x more important than sprung weight (body). 10 lbs rotating mass is equal to 100 lbs sprung weight. It's not just the pads. There is a performance difference with lighter rotors. It is very easy to feel during driving conditions.

True.
Not an overstatement.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

telaio

Ready to race!
The importance of rotating mass depends on the RPM and the wheels are turning relatively slowly. I changed to lightweight wheels (a larger difference than changing the rotors) and while the improvement in handling was considerable the benefit in acceleration is tiny.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The HP+ seem to be slightly more aggressive than the Yellowstuff but more noisy.

I agree with GodSquareM, the difference is night and day. I'm pretty in tune with my brake setup, I'm OCD about checking them after every event.

OP said :
Car feels more like it did with the original GTI rotors, but with FAR better braking.

So that reinforces what I'm talkin bout.

Hmm, the rotational kinetic energy in the disk is still very small compared with the kinetic energy of the car itself. Maybe it's the pads? BTW how did you like the yellowstuffs?

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
The HP+ seem to be slightly more aggressive than the Yellowstuff but more noisy.

I agree with GodSquareM, the difference is night and day. I'm pretty in tune with my brake setup, I'm OCD about checking them after every event.

OP said :

So that reinforces what I'm talkin bout.

Lighter rotational weight makes difference in acceleration and response, and car rides a lot better over bumps without boat anchors up front. Course at high speeds the aerodynamic drag takes over anyhow no matter how light the wheels/brakes. Then you just need pure HP.

I think the yellowstuff pads are very good. Not quite the friction of the HP+ but close and no noise on the street.

TRC

Ready to race!
any updates in terms of durability using race pads/vibrations? I haven't got my rotors yet since I'm thinking if ill do the R32 brakes or not, ty in advance!

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
any updates in terms of durability using race pads/vibrations? I haven't got my rotors yet since I'm thinking if ill do the R32 brakes or not, ty in advance!

Some conclusions so far after 3 events with the RB rotors - the rotor material is very hard, that combined with the slots causes my HP+ pads to wear much quicker than I am used to. There is some slight steering wheel shimmy now on light braking, but smooths out a bit under hard braking. The rotors cause more vibration during braking as well, probably due to the slots. I feel they likely are slightly warped. The overall performance has been excellent though. Will have to see if they warp any worse.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Also note in my picture that pad deposit is occurring. I am using Hawk HP+ pads, after 3 events, the rotors are shuddering on braking, likely due to the deposits. The deposits are only happening on the outer half of the rotor, not the inner half, which looks normal. The deposits also seem to cause heat spots, as there is crazing under the deposits, and none where there are no deposits.

BIGSLICK

Ready to race!
Also note in my picture that pad deposit is occurring. I am using Hawk HP+ pads, after 3 events, the rotors are shuddering on braking, likely due to the deposits. The deposits are only happening on the outer half of the rotor, not the inner half, which looks normal. The deposits also seem to cause heat spots, as there is crazing under the deposits, and none where there are no deposits.

That's odd - isn't Hawk RB's "recommended" brake pad brand?

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
thinking the same thing. And Boston's GTI is a good 300 lbs lighter than an R32

Another interesting bit to add, sent RB an email asking for some enlightenment, they said "HP+ pads are not track pads". Hmmm. It seems they are capable of generating enough friction on these rotors to exceed their temp rating and start leaving residue. HP+ pads are grouped in Hawk's race pad category. RB said to use the DTC-60 compound. Trying to find out whether they can supply R32 pads with that compound now.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
I'm confused, so did you choose to run a unrecommended pad even though you saw the warning, or is it that there just aren't any of the recommended pads available? What are the other R32 RB customers using?