GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help, my car is dead.

thebigbang

Passed Driver's Ed
I drive a 2006 GTI FSI, it currently has 95k on the clock and it has up to date maintenance on it. Today I was pulling out of my neighborhood to run some errands, as I slowed down at a stop sign, my car completely shuts off and I roll to a stop. I called my friend to help jump my car, it ended up turning over and idled normally but about 3-5 seconds later the car died again (while still being connected to car that was jumping me). I then tried to charge the battery just so I am able to drive back into my driveway, but the same exact issue occurs. I automatically thought it was a battery issue, but I have not been noticing any dimming of lights or any other electrical equipment becoming faulty or weak. The alternator seems to be okay, because the car died while still being attached to a power source. Im slowly running out of ideas, hopefully you guys can help, thanks in advance!

Jon

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Did you get a CEL or anything?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
How do you know the alternator is "ok"? The alternator will power the car, even if a battery is not connected (I had things in my trunk that hit my breaker and shut off the battery while I was driving, didnt know it until I shut the car off). Also, if you have a loose battery connection, the battery wont charge. Check all connections, power at the alternator while running (should be above 13.2 or so) and power at the battery. Most likely, something is loose. Also check connections at the underhood fusebox

thebigbang

Passed Driver's Ed
I would vag-com it but it doesn't stay on long enough for me to run a diagnostic. And no work done to it recently.

I do have a CEL but its always been on because I run a catless downpipe on my software.

Checking the connections now, but everything seems snug.

thebigbang

Passed Driver's Ed
How do you know the alternator is "ok"? The alternator will power the car, even if a battery is not connected (I had things in my trunk that hit my breaker and shut off the battery while I was driving, didnt know it until I shut the car off). Also, if you have a loose battery connection, the battery wont charge. Check all connections, power at the alternator while running (should be above 13.2 or so) and power at the battery. Most likely, something is loose. Also check connections at the underhood fusebox

I did notice some battery acid build up on the terminals, maybe its time for new terminals and go from there?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
You can run a vagcom diagnostic with the key turned to on but the car not started. Do you mean it loses all electrical power even if you don't start it?

ProjVWGli08

Ready to race!
I had this same issue last week and it turned out to be my hpfp. I was driving along and the car began to slow down and eventually die. I then let the car sit for about 20minutes and it started up no problem. I was able to drive it for about 10 more minutes and then the car would just die . It was an original KMD pump though so I am surprised it had lasted this long.:bellyroll:

thebigbang

Passed Driver's Ed
cleaned the terminals and changed out a new battery, car still dies after 3-5 seconds. Ill hook up vagcom tomorrow and see if i get a low pressure fuel pump issue.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I do have a CEL but its always been on because I run a catless downpipe on my software.

Well then the whole point of a CEL is useless to you isn't it! Why don't you sort out your software to get rid of having an engine light all the time, so when something happens you possibly catch it earlier..

Tapatalkin

RedLine GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
The easiest way to find out if it's the alternator is start the car up and and unhook the negative terminal from the battery and car should die right after and you pull it off...make the terminal loose before starting and make it easy to take off....or drive it to discount auto and they can check if for you

But a car that runs after charging and then does sounds like a alternator

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I lost the alternator on my car a while back because some animal got in the belt. The lights get dim, the power steering will fail, and the car will run very poorly before it finally dies.