GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram H7 Night Breaker...My Impressions

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I've heard about a few people getting shorter life from some Osram Nightbreaker globes. My understanding is all the +50 and +80 and +90 globes do produce extra light from the same watts, but they do it by running the filament at a higher temperature, which results in a shorter life. I suspect that the QA on the Nightbrakers is not quite as good as and the Philips X-treme globes.

Filament design is different thus you always get shorter life from high performance globes. I haven't finished this yet but this will give you an idea of the life to expect from different categories of bulbs.

http://www.my-gti.com/534/adding-high-performance-halogen-bulbs-to-your-volkswagen

bj240z

I fitted Phillips Extreme to my X5 around 15 months ago. They have now both expired within a month of each other.

15months...I'd be happy with that. I'm under no illusion that they will have a shorter life span, but 4000km's??? Not cool. To be honest, I'm just going to stick with stock for now, and perhaps head down more of HID route later. Other things I want to spend my hard earned dollars on for now. Gotta keep the economy going :biggrin:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
15months...I'd be happy with that. I'm under no illusion that they will have a shorter life span, but 4000km's??? Not cool. To be honest, I'm just going to stick with stock for now, and perhaps head down more of HID route later. Other things I want to spend my hard earned dollars on for now. Gotta keep the economy going :biggrin:

Unless you drive on your globes the kilometers have little to do with the life :lol:

I had around 10-11 months out of mine (13,000kms not sure what percentage of the time my headlights are on as I leave them on auto)

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Unless you drive on your globes the kilometers have little to do with the life :lol:

I had around 10-11 months out of mine (13,000kms not sure what percentage of the time my headlights are on as I leave them on auto)

Hey Mav, are you back to the standard bulbs, replacement Osram Night breakers or the other brand frequently mentioned?
(Unless you decided to upgrade to HIDs)

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
I've been running +90 nightbreakers for 12 months/22000km now and drive with my lights on 90% of the time and no issues..... yet :wink:
I might get myself a second set for changeout when they do give up the ghost though.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I've been running +90 nightbreakers for 12 months/22000km now and drive with my lights on 90% of the time and no issues..... yet :wink:
I might get myself a second set for changeout when they do give up the ghost though.

I'll post up some photos and lumen readings later of a night breaker just before it failed, it's worth checking them now and again (low beam only - high beam not so important as they are off most of the time) as before failure the bulb's output can start to drop off.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Another high output H7 globe is the Osram Rallye 65W.

It is a H9 burner on a H7 base, it has 2100 lumens output (a lot for a halogen globe). It is marked for off road use only. It does use 10 watts more current than the standard 55 watt globe, but lots of people have used them on road cars without blowing fuses and frying their cars wiring. They are supposed to last the same as std globes.

Almost everyone who has put them in their car is very happy with their light output.

They seem a bit hard to source at the moment, but suvlights.com and rallylights.com claim to have them in stock.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Another high output H7 globe is the Osram Rallye 65W.

It is a H9 burner on a H7 base, it has 2100 lumens output (a lot for a halogen globe). It is marked for off road use only. It does use 10 watts more current than the standard 55 watt globe, but lots of people have used them on road cars without blowing fuses and frying their cars wiring. They are supposed to last the same as std globes.

I'd personally be wary of off-road-only bulbs and the risk of frying the electrical system (or much worse).

Do you use them yourself on your main vehicle? I could see people using them on bush bashers but maybe not their new cars. :thumbsup:

Did I mention the UK seller has 20% (rather than 10%) off right now?
GBP19 = AUD$39 incl free worldwide delivery. :)

How long do the stock bulbs last? Just asking as the car I'm considering has 99k on it!

Logzy

Ready to race!
Bi-Xenons > FTW :headbang:

(Someone had to do it)

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I'd personally be wary of off-road-only bulbs and the risk of frying the electrical system (or much worse).

Do you use them yourself on your main vehicle? I could see people using them on bush bashers but maybe not their new cars. :thumbsup:

How long do the stock bulbs last? Just asking as the car I'm considering has 99k on it!

Each person should always assess the risk/cost/benefit ratio of ANY modification before deciding if it is right for their car or not.

I certainly would be wary of putting 100W globes in anything that wasn't designed and engineered for it. As well as wiring issues the extra heat can cause problems with bases, plugs and even reflectors. The headlight circuits of any car built in the last 20 years or so should be protected by fuses of an appropriate size.

I don't believe that anyone should say on a public forum that they have illegal globes in their cars :wink:. I can say that my Octavia has factory HIDs on low beam, and H1 globes in hi beam, while my Transporter has H7 halogen globes in low beam (with separate, thicker wiring direct from the battery via a relay to "reduce voltage drop"), and some very bright "H1" globes in the hi beam reflectors.

Many people install 65W globes in place of OEM 55W globes without upgrading their wiring and have no problems (10 extra watts is 18% extra current, and most people don't increase the fuse capacity - that is always a bit risky if you don't also increase the current carrying capacity of the relevant wiring).

I quite a bit of night driving in my Transporter, so I like to have good lights (but don't wan't to dazzle other drivers when I'm on lo beam).

Stock halogen globes (including the Osram Rallye 65W I mentioned above) usually are rated for 500 hours, while most of the good quality +30 to +90 globes seem to be rated for 2-300 hours. Some of the ultra-white and poor quality globes are even less.

You can get long life globes rated for 1,000 hours, but I prefer to see better and am prepared to replace globes a bit more frequently to get it.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
im running Narva BluePower H7's in mine.
love them, best $$$ spent so far.

they are heaps whiter than the stock globes, and produce a longer beam too...
i know that they will have a shorter life expectancy than stockers, but it's a performance / lifespan trade off that is well worth it (imho).

i do lots of night driving, so good illumination is important to me.

Jason.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
im running Narva BluePower H7's in mine.
love them, best $$$ spent so far.

they are heaps whiter than the stock globes, and produce a longer beam too...
i know that they will have a shorter life expectancy than stockers, but it's a performance / lifespan trade off that is well worth it (imho).

i do lots of night driving, so good illumination is important to me.

Jason.

Don't buy the Narva ones as they're rebadged Osram NightBreakers, buy them from powerbulbs for around $35 delivered!

http://www.my-gti.com/534

Life of the bulb is around 100-200 hours.