GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise Pipe Delete/Plug Mod DIY

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I think that plug goes in the rubber hose on the tsi that sits between the throttle pipe and the short section of the noise pipe. Since that hose doesnt exist on the fsi, i think youd need to hack up some hoses on the fsi or get a 1.5" silicone coupler to use it. Not a bad design though.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
update.

i have good news.

and some bad news.

good news, got some initial prices from two shops and looks like the sale price would be $35-40 per plug - shipped. :thumbsup:

bad news is they want minimum orders of 75-100 plugs. i obviously dont have that the kind of money to plunk down on that large of an order. so the hunt consinues. :frown:

I am still looking to see if I can find a shop that will agree to do batches of say 15-20. and have feelers out with a few friends to see if this small an order is possible.

making some progress.

on a side note, i started teaching myself Autocad in order to supply exact specs for the plug.:wink:

hobbes

Ready to race!
thanks for getting me the measurments. :thumbsup:

I was reading through the thread and saw those reports from the TSI plug. I have to agree with you, yes its somehting I would rather avoid happening. So im just going to move forward with the FSI plug for now.

Just a friendly reminder: the measurements I gave you are for the TSI plug. IIRC, the FSI plug was smaller than the TSI one as the FSI plug fit on the TSI if you did not remove the metal ring.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
i went and bought a micrometer over the weekend and the plans im drawing up are spec'ed for the FSI plug.

i decided to not do two plugs when I saw that some people had the tsi plug pop out and take the metal ring with them.

but thanks for the heads up

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
update.

i have good news.

and some bad news.

good news, got some initial prices from two shops and looks like the sale price would be $35-40 per plug - shipped. :thumbsup:

bad news is they want minimum orders of 75-100 plugs. i obviously dont have that the kind of money to plunk down on that large of an order. so the hunt consinues. :frown:

I am still looking to see if I can find a shop that will agree to do batches of say 15-20. and have feelers out with a few friends to see if this small an order is possible.

making some progress.

on a side note, i started teaching myself Autocad in order to supply exact specs for the plug.:wink:

I can do it for $40 per plug if there are at least 25 pre-orders.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
I can do it for $40 per plug if there are at least 25 pre-orders.

thats nice. i wasnt planning on setting up group a group buy.

Also its kinda messed up for you to come up with this when I am still in the process of trying to make this happen.

Red-Vader

Ready to race!
Hey I just followed the directions for this easy mod today, and it works great! I got all my parts at the local hardware store for about $5. Thank you for the great advice. I found this mod to very noticeable in my GTI's perfomance!

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
thats nice. i wasnt planning on setting up group a group buy.

Also its kinda messed up for you to come up with this when I am still in the process of trying to make this happen.

I was offering to be the person who did the machining for you. $40 would be my price to you. You can charge out whatever you want. I'm not going to deal with organizing the GB.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Hey I just followed the directions for this easy mod today, and it works great! I got all my parts at the local hardware store for about $5. Thank you for the great advice. I found this mod to very noticeable in my GTI's perfomance!

just an FYI those have a tendancy to pop out and ding the crap out of the hood. its happened to many people and they have reported it in this thread and others.

I was offering to be the person who did the machining for you. $40 would be my price to you. You can charge out whatever you want. I'm not going to deal with organizing the GB.

ahh gotcha. sorry for the response then.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!

I was able to find a local shop that can reproduce the FSI plug in smaller quantities.

here is the deal. Once I place the order there will be about a 1 1/2 week lead time on having these produced. they will be nearly identical to the "raven" FSI plug, and will install the same way.

TSI owners will need to remove the metal ring prior to install.

in order to make this happen I will need at least 20 people to comit up front to this so I can get the initial batch made. After that I should be able to offer the plugs to everyone who wants one.

here is the details.

Im going to set up an initial group buy price of $40.00 *shipped*

if you do not want to sign up for this GB and wish to wait till later you will be looking at $45.00 *shipped* for the plug.

please read the FS thread linked below for full details.

Now please keep in mind I am doing because Raven is MIA. If/when he returns and wishes to resume selling these I will discontinue doing so at that time.

If the GB is successful and I am able to get this started. To those who have already ordered and paid for a plug from Raven I will contact you with special details about getting one of these plugs from me.

group buy thread.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3095128#post3095128

Last edited:

FiXXXerX

Ready to race!
Installed my Raven6T9 Noise Pipe plug on my 2009 TSI this weekend, only part of it that sucked was getting the damn Metal sleeve out... I found a great way to help get it removed though and thought I'd share it with anyone (It could quite possibly have been on one of the other 58 pages, but I did see it when I searched and I didn't read all 58, lol)

When removing the metal sleeve from the housing people mention to heat it up by driving the car around for a few mins and then trying to pull it out after that... I didn't have much luck with this despite the fact that I'm in hot ass FL. So the way that I ended up getting the metal sleeve out was this:

Tools Needed:
Set of Probe tools from Home Depot or Lowes (They look like these HERE)
WD-40
Hair Dryer

After you have those items you start by hitting the metal sleeve with a little bit of WD40, not to much, but enough to get it worked in around the upper lip of the sleeve.

Once you've done that, grab the hair dryer and set it to 'High' or whatever its highest setting is. Blast the metal sleeve and the surrounding injected plastic area with the hair dryer for approx. 3-5mins.

Once you've done this, use the probe tool with the hook and attempt to get the tip of it under the bottom lip of the sleeve.

Pull like hell.

This worked for me on my first try and all things considered, didn't really take all the much effort.

So again, if this has been covered before, then I apologize... but I couldn't find any easy to access info via. search or Google that helped me figure out the easiest way to get it out and I thought I'd share :)

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
hey just got one of the new billet style raven plugs from a member on here. for those of you that have them would u suggest thread-locker on this? This is the plug with the 4 hex screws. I ask because they seem to turn freely somewhat. I figure they would tighten up against the hole in throttle body pipe but better to be safe then sorry.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
hey just got one of the new billet style raven plugs from a member on here. for those of you that have them would u suggest thread-locker on this? This is the plug with the 4 hex screws. I ask because they seem to turn freely somewhat. I figure they would tighten up against the hole in throttle body pipe but better to be safe then sorry.

Definitely use thread locker. It doesn't hurt, and I heard a horror story about some kid who dropped one of them in his motor and boom. Not sure if its true, but those set screws are awfully short.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I put threadlocker on two of the screws opposite of eachother just to be safe. After a test drive I was AMAZED at the difference it made. No more cabin engine drone, car is still loud on the outside, and there is a very noticeable increase in throttle response (feels like more boost too but I don't have a boost gauge yet to know for sure).
Definitely a best bang for your buck mod, I would suggest it to anyone who has a tune. :thumbsup:

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Ok I need a favor from anyone who has a noise plug that looks like new. Can you please take a couple pics of it? I would use mine but it is currently installed in my car and its at the dealer waiting on the hpfp to be repaired. An off angle top vie pic is all I realy need.

I want to post it in the group buy threads. Not everyone knows what this plug looks like so having a picture of it will help a lot.

Thanks.