GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Muffler to quiet down pipe without sacrificing performance?

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
I am interested in potentially installing a muffler which would quite the exhaust with a down pipe installed without hindering flow or performance.

I installed the APR down pipe this weekend and it is much louder than I expected. It doesn't sound dreadful, but I'd prefer it quieter.

Can anyone recommend a muffler?

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I am interested in potentially installing a muffler which would quite the exhaust with a down pipe installed without hindering flow or performance.

I installed the APR down pipe this weekend and it is much louder than I expected. It doesn't sound dreadful, but I'd prefer it quieter.

If you're on the stock muffler still, you're not going to find anything much quieter than that. Although, Milltek (you can get the resonated muffler) makes excellent exhaust systems if you want a more solid tone without getting too much louder. With a downpipe, however, your car will not get very quiet. If it's too much noise in the cabin, try unplugging the SoundAktor that feeds the engine noise into the car. This has been known to cause a drone with an aftermarket down pipe.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
VWGTI,

So the stock muffler is already providing maximum attenuation?

If that's true, I think the sound may grow on me. I've only driven it a few miles.

Soundaktor is disabled.

Cabin drone is not an issue. Cruising below 2500 RPM the APR downpipe sounds about the same as the stock down pipe. But at WOT or about 2500 RPM it sounds a little "ricey".

super93fox

xforce varex muffler , I installed this on my mk7 after catless APR i remove the 200 cell and install pipe on the DP if you close it it's quieter than the oem

nis240sxt

Ready to race!

I'm in the same boat as you Napa. I believe adding another resonator after the downpipe will quiet it down some. If i ever get around to that, i'll let you know the outcome. BTW, i have a catless DP which is part of the problem.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
nis240sxt,

I like the sound of the exhaust chancejet posted. I associate a resonator with making exhaust louder but that seems to transform the sound to a low rumble.

super 93fox,

I have looked at the flapper valve muffler designs. I though that would be the way to go but if the stocker muffler is already agressive attuatuon the quiet mode won't get much quieter, you'll just make it louder with flapper open to essentially wode open exhaust. It will sound like a race not a dailer driver.

Last edited:

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
Ok man but the Ultimate racing down pipe is really nice if you end up getting it just call them to get stainless steel hardware instead of a mild steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VWGTI

Ready to race!
VWGTI,

So the stock muffler is already providing maximum attenuation?

If that's true, I think the sound may grow on me. I've only driven it a few miles.

Soundaktor is disabled.

Cabin drone is not an issue. Cruising below 2500 RPM the APR downpipe sounds about the same as the stock down pipe. But at WOT or about 2500 RPM it sounds a little "ricey".

The stock muffler is already providing a lot of attenuation. Volkswagen, or any car manufacturer for that matter, tend to make things as quiet as possible since it sells to the masses (especially for a car like the GTI). Also, the volume of the exhaust system is often relevant to the flow of gasses going through it, meaning more flow is often louder (this is not always 100% true, so don't hate me for a few exceptions), but I haven't really found anything quieter than the stock system for this car.

Honestly, the sound will definitely grow on you. Anyways, at least it's a solid tone and not the "weed-wacker" that ricers put on their car for like $20.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I had the same problem Napa, so I welded a 3"resonator to my catted downpipe and it was very close to stock sounding with a tad more growl under full throttle. My issue wasn't the sound or volume, but the slight drone at partial throttle while cruising down the hwy or at certain rpms ... The mod I did above eliminated 100% of the drone. I am still running this setup on my car with an AWE Touring catback now and it still doesn't make any noise while cruising, only gets mean sounding when I want it to :)

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Rj,

Where would be the best place I could weld in a resonator?

Cutting into my new APR downpipe is very appealing. Can the resonator be inserted after the cat?

I could probably just go to a muffler shop and have them weld it in. What do you think?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately I don't see anywhere else an additional resonator would work on the exhaust. I am running a USP DP with a 16-20" resonator from Corsa between the part of the downpipe where it straightens out after the last bend and where is bolts up to the exhaust. Yeah, if you're not a good welder I that would be ideal bud.