GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 end of production 10/27/08

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
I just read mine yesterday and my engine was made in Hungary (TSI).

The FSI/BPY is as well.
Final point of assembly is Wolfsburg, Germany but the total percentage of parts is definitely not 100% on mine and every other GTI I've seen. Won't have my window sticker in front of me until Monday, but hopefully someone else with access to theirs will chime in.

My R32 was 100% made in Germany:wink:

Yep, that's the case for all .:R32's; engine included. :w00t:

calmec87

Car(s)
Rabbit
Rabbit is also made in Germany

Yup, VIN on my rabbit starts with WVW---------------- and the means Wolfsburg Germany.

I believe the MKV rabbit, R32 and GTI are the only VWs sold in NA that are actually made in germany,

And IIRC the engine/tranny on both rabbit and GTI are NOT made in germany. i think the 2.5s were made in mexico, explaining why my car is at the dealership today after breaking down with only 3000 on the odometer.

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
I did not read this thread in its entirety but isnt the GLI Mexican?

IUjapander

Ready to race!
My 08 Window sticker shows assembly in Wolfsburg with the engine coming from Hungry. Parts are 75% German with 1% US/Canada (would assume the other 24% is the Hungarian engine).

Not to jack this thread, but what 1% of the car was made in US, the side markers?

r32driverfan

EuroMama
My 08 Window sticker shows assembly in Wolfsburg with the engine coming from Hungry. Parts are 75% German with 1% US/Canada (would assume the other 24% is the Hungarian engine).

Not to jack this thread, but what 1% of the car was made in US, the side markers?

No if you look on the back they say made in Mexico

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
I did not read this thread in its entirety but isnt the GLI Mexican?

I wouldn't actually call it Mexican, but IIRC both the Jetta and GLI are assembled in Mexico. Unsure which city.

Edit: For the GLI at least, the parts are sourced from Germany (40%), Mexico (30%), US/Canada (6%); other 24% - unlisted :iono:
Final assembly point is Puebla, Mexico. Engine is from Mexico as well and the transmission (DSG in this case) from Germany.

Sounds exactly right. Thanks :thumbsup:
Oh and I'd also be quite curious to hear what that 1% is made up of. :iono:

tracondoug

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, VIN on my rabbit starts with WVW---------------- and the means Wolfsburg Germany.

Actually..... The first 'W' in 'WVW' is the old identifier for West Germany (now of course, just Germany).... Has nothing to do with Wolfsburg. Same reason North American cars start with '1'.....

Also, my Mini (prior to my GTI) started with the vin 'WMW' (for BMW) although it was built in Oxford, England.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Also, my Mini (prior to my GTI) started with the vin 'WMW' (for BMW) although it was built in Oxford, England.

OT, but former MINI driver here as well. :w00t:

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
can't wait for the mkvi. let's not be dicks to them though like the mkiv guys are with us :lol:

psychoboy

Banned
There has not been a single news release about an MK6 GTI, 2009.5, 2010, or otherwise, so all of you cackling "I'm getting an MK6 GTI next year" pipe down. The only thing you're getting next year is an ugly ass, slow as molasses, 1.x liter fuel-efficient MK6 Rabbit.... IF... and that's a big IF... VW feels like it's worth it to its dealers to have them make $200 per Rabbit sold here in the U.S. Once the MK6 GTI is actually announced in Europe, then you can tack on about 1 year to the Euro release date and that's when you'll get your precious decontented MK6 GTI. M'kay? :rolleyes: