GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KMD FSI Fuel Pump Kit

thez19

GITEE Up N Go!!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
K, so If Im going stage 1 91octane APR, is that running the FP software that requires 130 bar? Alot of this is not making sense to me, I dont understand alot of this terminalogy, so please put it into lamens terms for me so I can understand. Most of the people thatve posted in this thread about bad shit with APR have the stage 2 software, im going stage 1, any real problems i should be concerned with with the oem FP? And if I go stage 2 later, should I feel its absolutely necessary to go with the apr FP and nothing else?? This kinda makes me on edge bout going with APR software...:iono: :iono:
Someone please help me feel better about going with apr stock FP.

Z

crew219

Banned
K, so If Im going stage 1 91octane APR, is that running the FP software that requires 130 bar? Alot of this is not making sense to me, I dont understand alot of this terminalogy, so please put it into lamens terms for me so I can understand. Most of the people thatve posted in this thread about bad shit with APR have the stage 2 software, im going stage 1, any real problems i should be concerned with with the oem FP? And if I go stage 2 later, should I feel its absolutely necessary to go with the apr FP and nothing else?? This kinda makes me on edge bout going with APR software...:iono: :iono:
Someone please help me feel better about going with apr stock FP.

Z

There's nothing to worry about with the APR software. Most people don't seem to realize that the relative piston pressures are much lower in sustaining 130 bar than it is for a 110 bar file that is constantly working to make up a 20 bar deficit in specified vs actual pressures. The idea that there is an increase of 20 bar pressure on the cam is completely false.

Dave

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Cool, thanks all. Still Id like info on this pcv fix and if I really should look into it or not?

If you get Stg 1 and are boosting fine, and then see that your boost has dropped a consistent 1-2psi across the whole rpm range, that's a sign of a bad pcv.

thez19

GITEE Up N Go!!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
If you get Stg 1 and are boosting fine, and then see that your boost has dropped a consistent 1-2psi across the whole rpm range, that's a sign of a bad pcv.

Hmm, might be a good time to look into that awe boost gauge eh? How hard is the install on that gauge, and will that just hook up to the other hole thats plugged right now on my vtwin?? Wasnt sure if thats what ive heard or not?

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
Hmm, might be a good time to look into that awe boost gauge eh? How hard is the install on that gauge, and will that just hook up to the other hole thats plugged right now on my vtwin?? Wasnt sure if thats what ive heard or not?

Yup, fits right up to your V-twin.
Free shipping when ordered from BSH.

-Phill

thez19

GITEE Up N Go!!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
This might seem like a very nub question, but explain to me what id be seeing with the gauge installed. I mean, with my car chipped and running properly, like what kind of psi should I be running average. Where does the gauge jump to depending on how im driving? I.E. does it run into the psi numbers when im on the throttle and its sucking in air and then go back into vacuum numbers when i let off on the throttle. Just, boost gauges have always kinda confused me, but now that I actually have a turbo, I know its def a good resource to have to see if your lacking boost or vacuum leaks anywhere..plus its sexy as fuck :happyanim: :happyanim:

APR has been using 130 Bar for a while. On there old SW it wouldn't kick in till after 5k, on their FP SW, it kicks in much earlier. It is my belief that APR is riding the Fuel pressure limiting valve on their FP SW, you can find my comment earlier in this thread. If this is indeed the case (which I do believe is the case from logs I have seen) then a pump that does more volume would only accelerate the problem.

While the 130bar idea is great way to get lower injector times. (more fuel through the injector in shorter time) I don't think the whole plumbing part was thought out as carefully with the larger pump.

My previous post described what could be happening with the plunger on the peak on the cam stroke. This image shows what could be happening on the intake stroke if the relief valve is constantly being used. Id strongly suggest that people with a FP and 130 bar SW log a pull to redline and let off the gas. See if there is a spike during overrun. PM me for details.

I promised answers from APR...and I deliver. Keep in mind folks, the engineers at APR know more about this stuff than any of us, otherwise WE'D be doing our own tuning and making our own hardware. There's a reason these guys are still in business. Ask EIP what not doing your homework gets you. Anyway, without further delay...

If the 130 was causing the fplv to stay almost constantly open, the fuel pump would be working like mad to make pressure and there would be all kinds of fluctuations in the rail pressure. When you lift, the injector on time goes to zero and therefore pressure in the rail spikes untill the valve opens. You would be able to see fp logs with a lot of spikes and dips as the fplv opens and closes. The solenoid on the pump is very busy regulating the fp in the rail. When the fplv opens, its like running over a fire hydrant in comparison to its effect on releasing the pressure in the rail. The solenoid on the pump is doing the work of regulating all of the fp in the rail. - Keith@APR

" 1. Our fuel pump is capable of supporting over 500hp (see the graph on the APR website). None of our fuel pump tunes are making near 500hp due to OEM turbo, OEM injector, and OEM knock limitations. So for our fuel pump files where the APR fuel pump is used, we are actually using less pump solenoid duty cycle than an OEM pump because of our increased flow rates.

2. The non-fuel pump tunes actually put more stress on your OEM pump solenoid based on the fact that it is running closer to max flow capacity during the mid-range. This is dictated by marketing demands for good torque and power. However, we have tuned our non-fuel pump files with specific attention to not running the pump at its very limit. This is the reason why there is more area under the curve for the fuel pump file when compared to the non-fuel-pump file. The area under the curve comes from the fact that the APR pump is capable of supporting demand without coming near its absolute flow limit.

3. Fuel rail pressure is mechanically limited by the pressure relieve valve located in the rail. This is a “pop-off” relief valve that will bleed off rail pressure that goes beyond factory specifications. Therefore, give that we are running fuel pressures within this factory limit, and the fact that our pump has more flow for every stroke, this is another reason why our pump is running at less duty cycle than an OEM pump. Fuel pressure is what creates the majority of the load in this system. You can forget about spring pressure and the mass of the piston when you have 120+ bar on the other side of the piston. Since we are running OEM pressures, the chambers of the pump, pump solenoid, pump pulsation damper, etc. are all just fine. " - Mike@APR

Last edited:

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Stage 2 w/o fuel pump :thumbup: Looks like i have a boost leak though?

FRP3.JPG
Boost3.JPG

As soon as my taxes are in, you'll see some more W/ the fuel pump.

Noregrets, This is AWESOME info! Thanks for comin through!

YW...thank APR they're the ones that did the work and provided the information.

I should change my custom text from APR Whore to APR Liaison LOL

Last edited:

importrepairguy

Head Breast Examiner
Installed a KMD pump in my personal car last night. All is good so far... Just need to pinpoint my Boost problem - Nothing obvious yet?