GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking points/Axle stands

Garynovis

Ready to race!
Liking the look of these.

I see they mention OEM jack pads, does this mean the kit can also be purchased from VW?

Secondly, I believe where the rear fit is where it has been suggested to put the axle stands, where would people be placing the axle stands if jacking the car here?

Cheers

Gary

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Bringing this back since I'm still unsure: using the achtuning pic below - are those good 4 places to put an individual jack or even jackstands?

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
I'm still confused as to where to position the trolley jack on the chassis.
Does anyone know if there is a photo showing that?
Also, should I be able to see those little arrow marks on the sill that show where the scissor jack makes contact?
Does the factory fitted body trim conceal them on a MY16 PP car?

Leopold

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I'm still confused as to where to position the trolley jack on the chassis.
Does anyone know if there is a photo showing that?
Also, should I be able to see those little arrow marks on the sill that show where the scissor jack makes contact?
Does the factory fitted body trim conceal them on a MY16 PP car?

Leopold

In a way it's kind of up to you and you need to make some choices. The manual would say on the pinch welds. But to safely raise the car without a lift, you need to be placing both a jack AND axle stands. Below is what I like to do, but you can always do vice versa and swap the jack and axle stand positions.

I like to place the axle stands on the pinch welds (the reinforced portion of the sill recommended in the manual). I do this because jacking at those points, while viable, can bend or damage the pinch welds. Also, I like to have my axle stands as far out to the edges as possible for maximum stability. I've found it's better to raise the car, and then use those reinforced points for the axle stands to support. The pinch welds are not hidden on a MY16 PP car. The plastic runner trim is on the outside. Look a couple inches in and you will see the sill. Near the fenders are the reinforced sections, only 3-4 inches in length. Not sure about little arrows but it should be fairly obvious what part is reinforced as it will be thicker and protrudes down a bit.

Here is a pic with the axle stand placed on the front "pinch weld":

So if placing the axle stands on the pinch welds, the question becomes where to place the jack itself?

FRONT:

I used to use the subframe bolt discussed earlier in this thread (near the lower control arm). This worked fine but is a little hard to reach depending on the size of your jack. Here is a pic of that:

But since, I have retrofitted the Audi jack pads and they work excellent as a jacking point, and still give room to place an axle stand on the pinch weld. Pics of that in action:

REAR:

Can jack on the box with the plastic grommets (just a bit further in than the pinch weld) like this:

But for me a wise investment was a set of automotive ramps. I just back the rear on to those, and do jack and stands in the front only.

But you need to swap a rear tire!! Well... it's easy to get both wheels on one side of the car off the ground by jacking from the front alone. The wheelbase is short enough where the whole side is lifted.

Pic of ramps:

Not the greatest pics but hopefully that was helpful.

P.S. Not sure what you mean by scissor jack but if it's the jack that comes in the trunk... I would highly recommend picking up a hydraulic floor jack if you plan on lifting the car outside of emergency situations (like flat tire). You can get a hydraulic jack for fairly cheap and they are less dangerous.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
In a way it's kind of up to you and you need to make some choices. The manual would say on the pinch welds. But to safely raise the car without a lift, you need to be placing both a jack AND axle stands. Below is what I like to do, but you can always do vice versa and swap the jack and axle stand positions.

I like to place the axle stands on the pinch welds (the reinforced portion of the sill recommended in the manual). I do this because jacking at those points, while viable, can bend or damage the pinch welds. Also, I like to have my axle stands as far out to the edges as possible for maximum stability. I've found it's better to raise the car, and then use those reinforced points for the axle stands to support. The pinch welds are not hidden on a MY16 PP car. The plastic runner trim is on the outside. Look a couple inches in and you will see the sill. Near the fenders are the reinforced sections, only 3-4 inches in length. Not sure about little arrows but it should be fairly obvious what part is reinforced as it will be thicker and protrudes down a bit.

Here is a pic with the axle stand placed on the front "pinch weld":

So if placing the axle stands on the pinch welds, the question becomes where to place the jack itself?

FRONT:

I used to use the subframe bolt discussed earlier in this thread (near the lower control arm). This worked fine but is a little hard to reach depending on the size of your jack. Here is a pic of that:

But since, I have retrofitted the Audi jack pads and they work excellent as a jacking point, and still give room to place an axle stand on the pinch weld. Pics of that in action:

REAR:

Can jack on the box with the plastic grommets (just a bit further in than the pinch weld) like this:

But for me a wise investment was a set of automotive ramps. I just back the rear on to those, and do jack and stands in the front only.

But you need to swap a rear tire!! Well... it's easy to get both wheels on one side of the car off the ground by jacking from the front alone. The wheelbase is short enough where the whole side is lifted.

Pic of ramps:

Not the greatest pics but hopefully that was helpful.

P.S. Not sure what you mean by scissor jack but if it's the jack that comes in the trunk... I would highly recommend picking up a hydraulic floor jack if you plan on lifting the car outside of emergency situations (like flat tire). You can get a hydraulic jack for fairly cheap and they are less dangerous.

This is all exactly what I do

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
nicholam77,thank you so much for this wealth of information and advice.
It's just what I wanted to know and see.
I will study it carefully.

"Not the greatest pics but hopefully that was helpful."
The pictures were great and believe me, everything you said was helpful. Thanks so much for your time in explaing it all.

"P.S. Not sure what you mean by scissor jack but if it's the jack that comes in the trunk... I would highly recommend picking up a hydraulic floor jack if you plan on lifting the car outside of emergency situations (like flat tire). You can get a hydraulic jack for fairly cheap and they are less dangerous."

Yes, I did mean the scissor that came with the car, resides in the trunk.
I'm planning to get hydraulic jack (a trolley Jack as we call them here in England)
Thanks for your reassurance that this is the way to go, not least for safety.

Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
BxGTI, many thanks.
I'd looked at that DAP YouTube vid before and it was helpful.
But it doesn't show you exactly, where he positions that trolley jack saddle, right?
I like the look of that jack you are using. Is it one of those aluminium lightweight race-type jacks?

Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Thanks to you all, I feel I'm making real progress with my "jack project". ha-ha

I'm thinking of going for this Clarke Strong Arm 2.25 Tonne Low Profile Trolley Jack CTJ2250LP

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/88590/best-trolley-jacks-2016-group-test

Do you think it's suitable?
Is the rubber insert in the saddle a good idea?

Also, would it be a good idea to order those Audi jack pads?
Presumably they would be available over here in England (because they are genuine Audi parts, right?).

If I get the jack pads, do I just need to fit the front ones.
That's because nicholam77 photo seems to show that there are no Jack pads fitted to the rear (just jack on the box between the two plastic grommets?)

Leopold

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks to you all, I feel I'm making real progress with my "jack project". ha-ha

I'm thinking of going for this Clarke Strong Arm 2.25 Tonne Low Profile Trolley Jack CTJ2250LP

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/88590/best-trolley-jacks-2016-group-test

Do you think it's suitable?
Is the rubber insert in the saddle a good idea?

Also, would it be a good idea to order those Audi jack pads?
Presumably they would be available over here in England (because they are genuine Audi parts, right?).

If I get the jack pads, do I just need to fit the front ones.
That's because nicholam77 photo seems to show that there are no Jack pads fitted to the rear (just jack on the box between the two plastic grommets?)

Leopold

I've been using harbor freight for about 5 years now. I have 4 of them. Super low profile work amazing. Don't over pay for jacks. You can even get these down to 65-70 a piece with coupon ! http://m.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
toni_p, nicholam77 and others, another question I'm afraid.
In nicholam77 photo with the narrative "Here is a pic with the axle stand placed on the front "pinch weld": ", is that pinch weld actually resting/touching the axle stand cradle or does it sit in the groove on the cradle and the _sides_ of the cradle take the weight? Does that make sense?
I note that nicholam77 has heavily strapped the cradle with silver tape. What is the reason for that please?

Leopold