GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is alignment really that hard to get it right?

samguan

Ready to race!
I've never had luck with alignment. I remember 2 years ago I got alignment done on my girlfriend's car(BMW 3 series) in a very reputable alignment shop with good reviews, however the steering was off center a little bit and had to go back for the second time, had the same issue after the second time. Decided to to back to the dealer and pay for alignment again and the dealer got it perfectly.

Just got new tires today and go my alignment done at a Volkswagen dealer, the steering is off center slightly again, the car pulls to the right in all conditions. Now I have to go back again next week to get it realigned.

Anyone has similar experience?

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
I had a two wheel alignment done at a shop I trust, but I had to have it re-done. I think it depends on the alignment rack being used. The second time I took it to a Les Schwab, and they did get it corrected for me, but it was done on a later model rack, and the tech (who let me hang out and watch) also did a steering wheel center positioning check that included some VAG-COM style connection/entries to do. It was all integrated with the rack laser system and computer which they plugged directly into my OBDII. I guess my advice would be to make sure its a later model alignment rack, preferably four wheel if your going to bother.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Sadly I've often had to take cars back for re-alignments the following day. I had one shop tell me I must be super perceptive as it was only off by some small amount.

I've also seen some really bad off center steering wheels after alignments.

However, the last time I had my GLI done it was perfect.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's definitely hard to find a good shop. I would say 1 in 5 techs knows what they're doing.

As a guy that does alignments, theyre a pain in the ass to get 100%, you get the numbers in the green, toe must be equal, you sneeze and its off. We dont get much to do them and by the time you get it setup, youre out half your time.

With the wheel not being straight is a guy that didnt lock the wheel correctly.

Some aftermarket shops also dont have vcds or a dealer tool. These cars have electric assisted racks. You sometimes need to re adapt g85.

goneD4rk

Banned
:word:
I've never had luck with alignment. I remember 2 years ago I got alignment done on my girlfriend's car(BMW 3 series) in a very reputable alignment shop with good reviews, however the steering was off center a little bit and had to go back for the second time, had the same issue after the second time. Decided to to back to the dealer and pay for alignment again and the dealer got it perfectly.

Just got new tires today and go my alignment done at a Volkswagen dealer, the steering is off center slightly again, the car pulls to the right in all conditions. Now I have to go back again next week to get it realigned.

Anyone has similar experience?

I always ask for a before and after printout. If the numbers are not within range I don't pay. :word:

If a shop does not do printouts, I do not want to go there. :paddle:

goneD4rk

Banned
Place I go to uses string like NASCAR Cup teams do. Not sure if the dealers do that. My cars drive truuuue!

who needs laser, when you have string :happyanim:

samguan

Ready to race!
went back to the dealer today and they rechecked the alignment, they said everything is in spec and there is nothing they can adjust any more.

The more I think about it the more I think it's not the alignment, could be the caster which mine is out of spec and they said it can't be adjusted.

I remember before the alignment, i used to always have a little pressure towards the left side of the steering wheel to make the car go straight. Basically the car pulls to the right if I center the steering wheel.

Here is the print out, any help would be appreciated.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
They are correct there is no adjustment for castor. 6.5 though I believe is in spec, or damn close. You could lengthen it a bit with an anti-lift kit, but either way that should not be the reason you pull to one side or the other. Your left rear toe at 14 is ridiculous though. They should be able to dial that into 05 like the other side. That could be a partial culprit to your right pull. Front toe should also be the same. 01 is pretty light, 05 is better. Rear camber as a side note, also there is no reason they cant make those the same. -1.5 is a good number.

samguan

Ready to race!
damn i thought that rear toe (14) was the angle before, I misread it, it's the current angle which is way out of spec, is there any reason why they didn't adjust that, what should i do in this case?

...ok i'm confused, is this report before the alignment or after?

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Ideally they should show you a before and after report. 14 is not out of spec per sae, but having the left and right so different, IMO, there is no reason for that. Looking further at spec's this is what my shop told me for a MKV

Front castor: 7.1 <-> 8.1 (so they were right 6.5 is a bit short)
Front camber: -1.0 <-> 0.0
Front toe: 0.00 <-> 0.17

Rear camber: -1.8 <-> 0.8
Rear toe: -0.02 <-> 0.19