GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How Do You Maintain Your W/M Kit?

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
I have been using W/M for two years now but have never done anything to maintain it. It was set and forgotten. I use tap water for the mix and now starting to worry that at some point the nozzle will clog with mineral deposits and since I'm running the 100 oct map..... I fear spray failure. But what else do you do to maintain? Do you verify pump effectiveness? What kind of life should we expect before failure? 100k miles? 200k miles?

Please weigh in with your maintenance regime. I saw a Snow Perfomance vid showing how to clean nozzles. If reps from AEM or Snow can weigh in it would be great to hear your perspectives.

Thanks for the thoughts and responses.

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
I checked my nozzle after a year. I ran distilled water for a while, then just switched to tap water. No issues so far. I will still check it yearly though.

BAMF

Ready to race!
If you're concerned, why not pull the nozzle out and run something through the system to clean it? I'd think white vinegar would be safe, then follow it with distilled water to flush the remainder out.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
I checked my nozzle after a year. I ran distilled water for a while, then just switched to tap water. No issues so far. I will still check it yearly though.

X2, once a year I pull the nozzle and spray it with carb cleaner.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
I'm going to soak the nozzle in lime away this spring for peace of mind. I read a few horror stories lately and LaBonte is not getting me a new motor if the W/M system fails on the 100 oct map...

sloMk5

2007 GTI
I would log to make sure you're still getting a good distribution across all cylinders and clean the nozzle as needed like everyone else mentioned.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Had mine 3 years use distilled water and never had a problem or cleaned it. Guess im going to remove it this week and inspect. If your using good water and screens shouldn't really be a problem considering that methanol is a powerful solvent as well as a fuel. Still inspecting it for piece of mind is always good.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I just check all my filters and make sure there isnt any crud inside of it.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
How many do you use? I use the stock plastic one. I also used the devils own tank tap which has a filter built in. Cant really check that one unfortunately.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion

All depends on where you live and how hard the water is. I would NEVER use Vegas tap water inmy kit. The water is very hard here and there is a tremendous amount of limestone and other minerals in the ground. I use my ro system which also has a seperate 2 filter dechlorinator attached to it. So basically my water goes through 4 filters.

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
friend of mine uses straight windshield washer fluid, no problems thus far. it is switched OFF however for winter

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
friend of mine uses straight windshield washer fluid, no problems thus far. it is switched OFF however for winter

That's basically all it is just at a 50% or close to that ratio but make sure there is no glycol in kt. Not sure why he would switch it off for winter.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
How many do you use? I use the stock plastic one. I also used the devils own tank tap which has a filter built in. Cant really check that one unfortunately.

Im using a fuel cell tap with AN fittings so no filter there.
I have an in line check valve before my distribution block (filter) and then each nozzle has a built in filter.
so 5