GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

home made ram air intake !!

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
This is my thoughts; Using a true CAI like the NEUSPEED Race Series Cold Air Extension Kit. Then using open fog light vents run a pipe, either formed and smoothed fiberglass or if you can carbon fiber from the open vent to the CAI's filter element. Although this is a modified ram air system if the filter is shielded from all air exept the air coming from the vent by the formed pipe I see marginal gain in power being a turbo'ed engine. Using a standard CAI and a upgraded intercooler would work better in cooling intake air. Use your ingenuity (spelling?) to rig up a intercooler sprayer or some cheap upgrade like that.

But, if you pull this off I will personally buy one of the first production pieces off you. Good luck with the R&D, more pics once complete.

Last edited:

whitewabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I give Bryangti an A for effort. If it weren't for people experimenting, we would all be riding horses. Too bad there are so many cruel people on here that are so quick to ridicule. Good luck Bryan in your quest!

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
my friend told me theres more cold air going underneith the car then above. so in theory its a good idea. let me know how it goes when you finish it.

manydubs

Ready to race!
SO, do you work for a performance car testing company?

What makes you think you can do better than the VW design folks or any accredited aftermarket company?

I think another riot will break out in LA in the VW community over this...

Your VW heart is there, but do more research and use common sense first.

whitewabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
SO, do you work for a performance car testing company?

What makes you think you can do better than the VW design folks or any accredited aftermarket company?

I think another riot will break out in LA in the VW community over this...

Your VW heart is there, but do more research and use common sense first.

Good greif, leave the poor guy be! Is it a crime where you come from to be open minded or to think out of the box? Why is everyone so quick to ridicule someone for some harmless experimenting? if this really works and Bryan goes on to market an inexpensive kit and make a million, would you be so quick to discount what he is doing? i think not. How's about some constructive suggestions based on your own experience. I am sure he would appreciate this and maybe, perhaps we might all learn something new. i am eager to see if anything good comes of the experiment. It is always nice to have a low dollar mod that actually works.

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Good greif, leave the poor guy be! Is it a crime where you come from to be open minded or to think out of the box? Why is everyone so quick to ridicule someone for some harmless experimenting? if this really works and Bryan goes on to market an inexpensive kit and make a million, would you be so quick to discount what he is doing? i think not. How's about some constructive suggestions based on your own experience. I am sure he would appreciate this and maybe, perhaps we might all learn something new. i am eager to see if anything good comes of the experiment. It is always nice to have a low dollar mod that actually works.

I'd be willing to bet he'd get more out of this than the actual ABD intake..

Any why are people so sure that aftermarket solutions are always "right" just because someone can make it with a sticker on it doesn't mean its perfect.

I applaud his effort.. and if he f's something up.. thats his risk.. not yours.. :wink:

Viper83181

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GTI BMP DSG
Hey man, I'll give credit where credit is due. You definitely know how to think "outside the box" (no pun intended). just a couple of notes. 1) it's a turbo, so CIAs don't do much but shove more air in; improving throttle response slightly. The turbo compresses the air either way so it'll be hot no matter what until it hits the intercooler. 2. If and I mean IF the outside air made some significant difference (which it doesn't) it's no cooler from down at the road to where the stock box pulls from (the grille). SO, Assuming you want to shove MORE air in to improve your throttle response, why not take that tube, shorten it and run it directly to the grille and fabricate your own custom box to replace the OEM one at the grille (hell you could even affix a filter and run the tube straight to the MAF and forego the restrictive "engine cover/filter box" altogether). But definitely an A for effort. I wouldn't have had the drive to do something like that at 2 am!