GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a Good Quote...

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Horizon said:
Well since this topic was brought back, I might as well update it. I actually went in to drive the car this last weekend, basically to finalize the deal... that's until he let me drive the DSG.:thumbsup: I was sold! Main reason why I was sold, as I was assuming (you know how that goes) that I'd get the DSG at invoice, as well... but oh no, the DSG is just so much more valuable and everyone wants it, blah blah blah. I told him I just don't get it, you can sell the 6spd at invoice, but you can't with the DSG? He said that's correct... since it's an "auto" of sorts, more people will be buying it, and it's just selling like hotcakes right now. They gave me a quote of $23,1** with the DSG at "half off" instead of my hope that it'd be $1,075 over the price of the 6spd ($21,313, quoting edmunds price).

Heh.. darn near all the GTI's they had on the lot were DSG equipped, yet only a few 6spd's... what a bunch of baloney! This entire area isn't selling the GTI's too well... most people are buying Si's, Lexus IS350's and so forth. I've yet to see a GTI on the road. Well, needless to say, he brought out his sales manager from the back. The salesperson hadn't given him my quote of invoice yet, so I mentioned it to him... this ass belted out a huge laugh at me, telling me I was crazy. I never felt so belittled by such a condescending a-hole like that before. I was more in shock then anything. I was going to justify my quote, but he stopped me in my tracks and basically said, "hey hey.. stop talking right now before you hurt yourself. We're doing you a favor by getting this car off a dealer trade and blah blah." Isn't dealer trades standard procedure? I don't see how he's justifying his price with something like the dealer trade...

Now he gave me the spiel of how they need to make a profit and all that stuff... never gave me a counter offer. Just talked down to me like a 2 year old... but what's the difference between the two cars?! I'm not crazy, am I? For wanting it at invoice, when they were going to give me the 6spd at invoice? Now I wasn't going to settle, I could have gone a bit higher, but after he laughed at me like that, I just left... salesman called me 5 minuets later telling me he was sorry for what happened and was in shock for this guys' actions.. he said he'd look to see if he can make anything happen. I basically said the whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm not too sure.

But that's pretty much it... doubt I'd go back there. Too bad, that DSG rode so good.:frown: Their loss if they want to treat their customers like that, they could have had a sale that day!

2 good choices.
Offer him YOUR price on the DSG version, by using the same discount that you were offered on the manual model. Get the MSRP and invoice on edmunds.com, find the discount you were offered and then make the offer to the sales manager and tell them you're buying today.
But, once you make the offer then buy it.
The ONLY way to get the lowest possible price is to be ready to buy.
Otherwise one would really be an ass to fight for a price and then say, "cool, I'll get back to you." That's the method for securing prices in general, but when you are ready to buy you should make your final "I am buying" offer.

That manager and sales guy sound like a-holes. If you still want to buy from that dealership then simply make your offer with a REAL price. You can only expect a counter offer once you've made a real dollar amount offer yourself.

If they agree to your offer, then the only thing after that that would even come close to be an acceptable charge would be a "documentation fee" that should be no more than about $50.
Other than that, there is only state tax, and license fees if they are going to do the paperwork.
The financing person may try to sell you other things, no need to get any of it.

But, if there are other VW dealers near enough to you to work with, then use the same process and work with them.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
"documentation fee" is a complete fabrication by the dealer to try and tack on a little extra profit after you have agreed on a price. The only valid fee aside from tax, title, and plates is the destination charge.

Wantagti said:
Good luck finding a doc fee of $50 or less.