BMP GTI
I just used edmunds.com
got a MSRP of 25,780 and a invoice of 23,757
so i'll look for a price inbetween???

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Best to have your cards ready and dicker....

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
hakgwai said:
I just used edmunds.com
got a MSRP of 25,780 and a invoice of 23,757
so i'll look for a price inbetween???

Begin a conversation with your dealers. Stay polite and work it. If you wait long enough, they'll come-around to invoice price. When closing the deal, look for add-on fees. Always be ready to leave your telephone number and walk away.

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
Well since this topic was brought back, I might as well update it. I actually went in to drive the car this last weekend, basically to finalize the deal... that's until he let me drive the DSG.:thumbsup: I was sold! Main reason why I was sold, as I was assuming (you know how that goes) that I'd get the DSG at invoice, as well... but oh no, the DSG is just so much more valuable and everyone wants it, blah blah blah. I told him I just don't get it, you can sell the 6spd at invoice, but you can't with the DSG? He said that's correct... since it's an "auto" of sorts, more people will be buying it, and it's just selling like hotcakes right now. They gave me a quote of $23,1** with the DSG at "half off" instead of my hope that it'd be $1,075 over the price of the 6spd ($21,313, quoting edmunds price).

Heh.. darn near all the GTI's they had on the lot were DSG equipped, yet only a few 6spd's... what a bunch of baloney! This entire area isn't selling the GTI's too well... most people are buying Si's, Lexus IS350's and so forth. I've yet to see a GTI on the road. Well, needless to say, he brought out his sales manager from the back. The salesperson hadn't given him my quote of invoice yet, so I mentioned it to him... this ass belted out a huge laugh at me, telling me I was crazy. I never felt so belittled by such a condescending a-hole like that before. I was more in shock then anything. I was going to justify my quote, but he stopped me in my tracks and basically said, "hey hey.. stop talking right now before you hurt yourself. We're doing you a favor by getting this car off a dealer trade and blah blah." Isn't dealer trades standard procedure? I don't see how he's justifying his price with something like the dealer trade...

Now he gave me the spiel of how they need to make a profit and all that stuff... never gave me a counter offer. Just talked down to me like a 2 year old... but what's the difference between the two cars?! I'm not crazy, am I? For wanting it at invoice, when they were going to give me the 6spd at invoice? Now I wasn't going to settle, I could have gone a bit higher, but after he laughed at me like that, I just left... salesman called me 5 minuets later telling me he was sorry for what happened and was in shock for this guys' actions.. he said he'd look to see if he can make anything happen. I basically said the whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm not too sure.

But that's pretty much it... doubt I'd go back there. Too bad, that DSG rode so good.:frown: Their loss if they want to treat their customers like that, they could have had a sale that day!

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Don't even go to the dealerships until they can give you an OTD price. You can go test drive but that should be it. Don't try to make a deal with them there. Use the internet to your advantage. :)

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Wow man, did you even try to negotiate the price? I bet theyt took the rest of the day off after you left the dealership :)

bilbos said:
From looking at most of these posts it seems that I am in the minority of paying the full MSRP on my GTI.

bilbos

On the Kop
A41.8QTM said:
Wow man, did you even try to negotiate the price? I bet theyt took the rest of the day off after you left the dealership :)

No, didn't try and negotiate a thing. I am originally from the UK and I think I was overwhelmed with the fact that the GTI was about 20+% cheaper over here than it is in the UK. Therefore I was getting a bargain in my eyes.:wink:

AlcatrazT2

Passed Driver's Ed
I went in today as well...dealer told me getting an invoice on a DSG is "impossible..."
However, Package 0 or 1 Stick @ invoice was fine for them...very weird.
Any suggestions?

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
The 0 option stick is the least popular car. Paying sticker they made around 2500 or so, at least you didn't pay over sticker like quite a few people have on many different cars, American cars included.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Well, depends on how bad you want DSG. I'm going 6spd myself. Is DSG worth the extra cash PLUS the premium over invoice that you'll have to pay for it?

AlcatrazT2 said:
I went in today as well...dealer told me getting an invoice on a DSG is "impossible..."
However, Package 0 or 1 Stick @ invoice was fine for them...very weird.
Any suggestions?

AlcatrazT2

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not paying for anything...
They know that DSG is popular...just like Manual is popular on some cars (hence being a lot more expensive than Auto)...
I'm pretty sure that if I look hard, I can find a dealer willing to sell it.