GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fusebox melted??

Catharsis

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is a new one... or maybe not
Monday evening turned on car pretty much all lights, fogs right headlight etc off

Dash said check this one that one etc.

Took to dealer (still under warranty) here is their report

"Fuse blown for right side lighting. Fuse box melted. Can't find any malfunction that was the root cause. Ordered fuse box. Will be in on Thursday".

WTF?

Thanks all!

:readthethread:

:D

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
I actually had this problem happen to mine. Instead of the fuse blowing, it melted, and melted the housing underneath.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Too bad they couldn't find a root cause. Fuses shouldn't be blowing in the first place :(

Spaztix1

Can I has GTI?
If the whole box melted, there may be a short somewhere.. That could lead to a fire. I'd think if the fuses worked correctly the box would not melt as the circuit would be open.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The only time I've seen this happen was with aftermarket headlights.....I'm gonna assume that this isnt the case due to the nature of the original post.

That's a pretty serious case. If it happens to anyone they might have a recall in their hands. Normally, in market claims, 1 A-Rank (High priority issues) is enough to set off a recall or at least a full scale investigation.

slo mk6

My car is in the dealership now having the fuse box replaced due to melting. Waiting to find out the root cause. But all that I do know is that on my last drive home with the car, my dash started illuminating with all kinds of indicators, went into limp, car shut off in the middle of the highway before I could even get it to the shoulder and the battery died. One of the scariest moments I've ever had.

Anyone ever find out cause of failure for this?

slo mk6

That would make sense in that case. No aftermarket lighting in my car. The only "electrical" modification in my car are the wires tapped into my headlight switch for boost gauge. Hard to imagine that would have any negative affect. Been there for 3 years.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
F16 fuse is known to cause issues overheating but unfortunately there is no recall on it for our cars, I heard that they have been fixing it on other VWs.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
something like that happened to me because mice chewed wires and they were shorting