GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FMIC pros and cons

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Currently have APR Stage 1 with a FMIC. I am not really noticing anything that would be considered a add in power or even a benefit with having one. I am noticing a drop in boost on the low end. I still get my 15 -18 lbs of boost and no leaks, it just seems to take a hell of a lot longer to spool up and supply that boost. In the 3rd to 4th gear range it really picks up and starts to feel like normal. So I guess the question to the group is, Who has experencied this, and does a FMIC w stage 1 really offer any benefit at all???

Valandil

Passed Driver's Ed
As eurocars mentioned its about preventing heatsoak - it won't increase your boost. Nor add power.

Your will be able to push harder for longer; less cool down and more breathing room especially in colder ambient temperatures.

It truly depends on (1) ambient temps, (2) humidity, (3) the FMIC you put in. However for me - I personally have the IE Intercooler - I felt the benefits in the African summer and humidity of where I live. My car is not turning down the power cause of heatsoak and thats me running stock.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Currently have APR Stage 1 with a FMIC. I am not really noticing anything that would be considered a add in power or even a benefit with having one. I am noticing a drop in boost on the low end. I still get my 15 -18 lbs of boost and no leaks, it just seems to take a hell of a lot longer to spool up and supply that boost. In the 3rd to 4th gear range it really picks up and starts to feel like normal. So I guess the question to the group is, Who has experencied this, and does a FMIC w stage 1 really offer any benefit at all???

An intercooler is not a power adder by itself. Only those mods that directly allow you to burn significantly more fuel are power adders. All power comes from fuel. So generally to "feel" a power increase (assume no choke points to be fixed) you need a more aggressive tune plus the mods to deliver the new more aggressive parameters which include more fuel/timing, which requires more air, which creates more heat that must be dealt with etc.

A stage 1 tune should run mostly at its full potential on stock components so there is no reason to expect a larger intercooler all by itself would provide any increase that you could feel under most circumstances except as mentioned by others (less prone to heatsoak).

If you want more power the path is pretty straight forward. Next step is Stage 2+ tune which requires particular upgrades to get the most out of the more aggressive tune.

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I wasnt expecting a power boost, just feel alittle more punch. if that makes sense with the denser or cooler air. I know that to get more power, tunes are what it takes, and stage 2 is dancing in my head a lot. I just feel like the FMIC set up was a waste, unless you are tracking the car or running some kind a circut race.

MikeG918

Passed Driver's Ed
Like they all said, you won't notice any gains from it (assuming your old inter cooler wasn't a choke point) but what you will notice is a lack of heat soak. Heat soak will cause IAT's to rise which will cause a loss of power over a course of time. If you ever noticed before you installed your fmic that your car gradually felt slower that was from heat soak. An fmic of good quality will help to prevent that from happening, or at least slow it down.

I see you're in OKC, we absolutely need all the extra cooling we can get down here! I came out of work the other day and the car was sitting in the sun for half the afternoon, the temp said it was 118! If you really wanna feel the effects of cooling and also higher octane get a water/meth kit. By far the best mod to beat the heat!!

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Drive your car harder but first answer the questions Eurocars asked if you want any useful advice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I wasnt expecting a power boost, just feel alittle more punch. if that makes sense with the denser or cooler air. I know that to get more power, tunes are what it takes, and stage 2 is dancing in my head a lot. I just feel like the FMIC set up was a waste, unless you are tracking the car or running some kind a circut race.

Well if your current tune is running optimally, not pulling any timing, you wouldn't expect to feel a change. However if it were pulling timing you might percieve "a little more punch" if the increased cooling were enough to combat the excess heat and restore maximum advance being called by the tune.

It is not a waste if you eventually intend to upgrade, especially if you intend on upgrading to K04. There are 2 issues with the stock intercooler that a larger intercooler addresses, one is just plain overall flow (stock intercooler becomes a choke point) and the other is greater ability to cool more air.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Like they all said, you won't notice any gains from it (assuming your old inter cooler wasn't a choke point) but what you will notice is a lack of heat soak. Heat soak will cause IAT's to rise which will cause a loss of power over a course of time. If you ever noticed before you installed your fmic that your car gradually felt slower that was from heat soak. An fmic of good quality will help to prevent that from happening, or at least slow it down.

I see you're in OKC, we absolutely need all the extra cooling we can get down here! I came out of work the other day and the car was sitting in the sun for half the afternoon, the temp said it was 118! If you really wanna feel the effects of cooling and also higher octane get a water/meth kit. By far the best mod to beat the heat!!

x2 Water Meth will do the most to help you maintain the power of your Stage 1 tune in extreme summer heat. It is like a miracle. Ran it on last 3 cars and I too live in a very hot climate. Run it currently on my K04 GTI and my supercharged C5.

Last edited: