GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally! Bluefin VAGCOM logs and results... (LONG post & 13 pics = 1.2Mb)

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
OK have done the testing, some VERY :eyebulge: interesting results. I am now having second thoughts whether any remap really improves greatly on what is otherwise an already fantastic car...

Setup:
Stock logs, acceleration, bluefin install, redo logs then redo acceleration.
7 degrees C ambient temp. :thumbsup:
Contis with 3000+Kms, 38psi all round at 12 degrees C.
Vortex 98 fuel.
Car warmed up with more than 30 mins driving.
Concrete road at Funny's "secret test location".
Surface dry, possibly a bit dusty.
Manual mode, switch to 2nd gear once running, brake/roll until RPM is at 1000, keep throttle steady to maintain RPM at 1000 then WOT for 2 DSG gear changes.
Roll/brake, drive back to original start point to cool intercooler then run next log.
Number of WOT/LC runs over 20! :eek:
Blocks measured 2 & 20, 31 & 34, 115 & 230. (only did 122 after Bluefin, forgot to do it at stock for comparison, but then again it was 1am in the morning...). Approx 6-7 datapoints per second.
Time to log - approx 2 hours
Bluefin upload time - 10 mins
Wife - very unhappy that it occured on a Friday night... :frown:

Ok now for the results.
(this has taken ALL day to chart so i'm not going to make it look any nicer. Please ignore "Time" values in graphs as this was the only way i could get graphs from 2 blocks to align together correctly. Also ignore the load %age as % is the label that is used in VAGCOM. I know it's obviously not a %age but have put it in there anyways...)

Idle is completely unchanged for both as expected.
RPM around 800, Fuel rail pressure 50bar, intake air 2.8g/s, no CFs, A/F ratio at 1

Stock maps vs Bluefin maps

smallstock boost.jpg

Note the 15psi peak and a hold around 11psi before dropping down to the gear change.

smallblue boost.jpg

Now have an almost 19psi peak with kind-of-a hold at 15psi and dropping to 10psi. Looks like the whole curve got shifted up by 5psi.

smallstock air.jpg

Air mass peak close to 180g/s.

smallblue air.jpg

Bluefin makes the turbo suck in more at at a 200g/s peak.

smallstock fuel.jpg
smallblue fuel.jpg

Stock and Bluefin Fuel rail pressure identical. I guess that is probably the limit of the fuel system (don't know if it will be the pumps or injectors, me=noob:wink: )

smallstock ratio.jpg

Drops to 0.9 for the first half of the gear, then to just below 0.75 for the rest of the gear.
1.00=14.7:1
0.90=13.23:1
0.85=12.5:1
0.80=11.76:1
0.75=11.03:1
0.70=10.29:1

smallblue ratio.jpg

Curiously a bit leaner with Bluefin in the second half of the gear.

Continued in part 2...

Last edited:

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Part 2

smallstock temp.jpg

Stock cat temp well below 900. This would have been done towards the beginning of the runs but obviously after the car is fully warmed up.

smallblue temp.jpg

Bluefin cat temps shifted up by 100 degs, with peak near the 920 recommended limit for stock cat. This must obviously have longevity implications for the cat...
This would have been done after the car was off about 15min, so heat soak might have been a factor, but i drove a short distance prior to getting runs in (to lower air intake temp) and there would have been 1 run before this measurement.

smallstock cf.jpg

Some correction present around 1800-2300RPM, then from 4500RPM through the gear change into 5600RPM for the next gear.

smallblue cf.jpg

Correction again from 1600RPM to 3700RPM, then at 6200RPM through the gearchange again and also through the next gear.

And now probably the most controversial given the other Bluefin post...
Unfortunately i did not remember to log block 122 before to give a valid comparison. However i do remember that on an earlier test run the torque would max out at abouot 300Nm.

smallblue curves.jpg

Now before you all jump and say WHAT! :eyebulge:
Here's how i did the calculation.
Power=Torque (in Nm) multiplied by RPM divided by 5252 divided by 1.355818 multiplied by 0.7456. The last one is to convert HP to kW. Remember this is engine torque (?crank) not at the wheel.
Using the above formula will give you 200HP (or 149kW) from 280Nm torque at 5100 RPM which is jst about right for the stock GTI (don't have a torque figure for quoted max power at 5200RPM but 5100 is pretty close to 5200:tongue: )
So engine torque peaking at 346.9Nm at 2680RPM with most of the band at 320Nm, and power peak at 226kW at 6560RPM :headbang:
(Interestingly the Specified torque at WOT is 399.8Nm at any RPM (it doesn't follow a curve like the stock map does).

Now yet another super controversial topic - Launch control. As you see i had a good number of back to back runs to determine acceleration times for both standard S mode and S mode with Launch Control.
I will post the best results (for 0-100, and 400m):
:eyebulge: Please note the disclaimers regarding 400m times :eyebulge:

Stock no LC
0 to 100 km/h: 7.0 +- 0.16s
400m: 15.1 +- 0.17s, @139 km/h

Stock with LC
0 to 100 km/h: 7.0 +- 0.14s
400m: 15.1 +- 0.14s, @148 km/h

both had
90-120 km/h: 3.3s
200 meters: 9.9s @122 km/h

Now for the disclaimer - i have lifted off the throttle a fraction of a second before the 400m mark for the stock run :thumbdown: (hey it is SHIT scary at night - feels like you are going 200Km/h) so a 400m time at 15.0 or just under is very possible, but don't expect low 14's (think 14.9 maybe). This does not change the 0-100 time though, and there was minimal wheelspin difference between both as the time difference taken to get to 20m was less than 0.1s
With no LC the ESP kicks in and seems to cut engine power slightly but only for a very short time, seemingly short than the human reaction time (remeber doing those ruler drop things in science class to test your reflexes?). Also the chirp from wheelspin is very short.
Launch control runs seemed to vary between too much wheelspin to being underpowered to avoid it - very difficult to be reproducible. Non-LC was very predictable, had 7.0s for most runs.

Bluefin no LC
0 to 100 km/h: 6.5 +- 0.14s
400m: 15.0 +- 0.14s, @124 km/h

90-120 km/h: 2.8 +- 0.17s
200 meters: 9.5 +- 0.18s, @126 km/h

Again the disclaimer - i took my foot off about 11secs into the runs :thumbdown: (already doing 140 at that point). So easy times under 15.0 are easy Uh, as for why - read the above. Just remember i am not on a proper track...

Didn't bother with LC as i was already getting wheelspin when floored from start in S mode without LC. Proper asphalt surface would definitely improve grip compared to the concrete stuff, but it's hard to find a good run length with proper run off space to make it safe(r). You would have to run about 1/2-3/4 throttle at the very start, 3/4 between 2500-4000RPM and then floor it to get minimal wheelspin.

Haven't driven it enough to get an impression of Bluefin, guess there's enough posts about it in the other thread so i won't bother.

Well that's enough from me (phew) - bring on the replies! :thumbup:
(oh and when replying, could everyone cut out the pics so the thread doesn't bloat up with them - we don't need 50000 of the same pics - and yes i expect there to be lots of replies from you guys out there...)

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
That has my head spinning. Is it possible to a real n00b explanation. Is Bluefin doing good or not?

Looks pretty good to me. Shaving half a second off your 0-100 time for under $1500 is pretty good bang for buck, especially once you start getting down to the 6 second bracket.

Funny your wife must have been pretty excited by the whole thing - or did you give her something important to do like hold the stopwatch? :laugh:

With bitumen and traction control turned off you might be able to shave off a bit more time!

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
What did you use to time the acceleration runs? nice work putting all that info together though. Regarding the AFR... given it is massively over rich stock there is some easy kws to be had even from leaning it out slightly and still leaving a huge safety margin there.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
Finally, the first person to logs bluefin remaps :thumbsup:

Comparing it to others logs, I would say it come between stage1 & stage 2 (APR - Revo).

Not much of timing pulls all under -4. I don't care about the cat temps, since I'll be running cat-less :biggrin: . Your fuel limiting valve is the 110 bar, there is updated version with 130 bar. That might correct your cat temps. Try to find out that with bluefin.

Thank you very much Sir.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Found the answer to my question. APR and GAIC run at 10.5 AFR and Revo runs closer to 12.5 AFR.

Ahhh answered your own question lol... 12.5 is great for making peak power but doesn't leave much margin for error where if you can get the same power levels with 10.5 still you have a huge safety margin.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
What did you use to time the acceleration runs?

This is all done via VAGCOM :) Kind of like having your own drag strip anywhere you go as long as your laptop battery holds out :wink:

Hong Chau

Banned
This is all done via VAGCOM :) Kind of like having your own drag strip anywhere you go as long as your laptop battery holds out :wink:

where abouts in VAGCOM do you find this acceleration timing?
nice write up too.:thumbsup:

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
where abouts in VAGCOM do you find this acceleration timing?
nice write up too.:thumbsup:

Thanks.
Any block which has vehicle speed data (like block 5) will bring up an acceleration button on top of the other ones along of the bottom of the "measure" windows. Don't bother with the advanced blocks stuff if you want lots of data points as once you pick things to measure from different blocks the sample rate drops. Min went from close to 15 for one block, to 6-7 for 2, to 3.5-4 for 3 blocks.
Just hit that and a separate window pops up to do the stuff.
You need to have done the full 400m before all the readings come up.
First few times i tried (to get just the 0-100) nothing came up because i hadn't moved far enough. That's why you will need a test area at least 600m, 400m for the test and (probably) at least 200m for braking - unless you want to max out your brakes and see when the fade starts to kick in :eek:
I had about 800m which was plenty, and don't forget that you will be doing some mega speed at the 400m mark, even more when you have any remap/big mods.
Watch those cross roads!!!

Hong Chau

Banned
Thanks.
Any block which has vehicle speed data (like block 5) will bring up an acceleration button on top of the other ones along of the bottom of the "measure" windows. Don't bother with the advanced blocks stuff if you want lots of data points as once you pick things to measure from different blocks the sample rate drops. Min went from close to 15 for one block, to 6-7 for 2, to 3.5-4 for 3 blocks.
Just hit that and a separate window pops up to do the stuff.
You need to have done the full 400m before all the readings come up.
First few times i tried (to get just the 0-100) nothing came up because i hadn't moved far enough. That's why you will need a test area at least 600m, 400m for the test and (probably) at least 200m for braking - unless you want to max out your brakes and see when the fade starts to kick in :eek:
I had about 800m which was plenty, and don't forget that you will be doing some mega speed at the 400m mark, even more when you have any remap/big mods.
Watch those cross roads!!!

thanks mate.:thumbsup:
i know a road where i can test.:wink:
i'll post up my numbers when i get the chance. and when it stops bloody raining.