GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fighting with P2177 (running lean)

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I know you've replaced the MAF...do you run a Neuspeed P-Flo? Have you removed your intake and smoke tested just the intake pipe? I just discovered my p-flo leaked at the MAF connection due to MAF recess in the p-flo is too deep to allow it to seal when tightened and it leaked smoke when I tested it. Thread somewhere...but after sealing it properly, my LTFT "off idle"(group 032 block 2) went from 17% to 8%.
Also, I suggest running a non-oiled filter on the p-flo pipe. I'm on my third MAF and in need of another...but I finally switched to an AEM dry filter, so the next one should last much longer.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I notice not alot of you guys run a DV relocation kit? (or at least I dont see it in your sigs)

I have a APR k04. I am using the unitronic relocation kit and a cts turbo block off plate.

The OP's is listed in his first post = EJ DV relocate.
If K04'd, you must have a DV relocate...unless their K04 is the newer APR, or other, K04 with mounted to turbo DV conversion.

Finder

Ready to race!
I know you've replaced the MAF...do you run a Neuspeed P-Flo? Have you removed your intake and smoke tested just the intake pipe? I just discovered my p-flo leaked at the MAF connection due to MAF recess in the p-flo is too deep to allow it to seal when tightened and it leaked smoke when I tested it. Thread somewhere...but after sealing it properly, my LTFT "off idle"(group 032 block 2) went from 17% to 8%.
Also, I suggest running a non-oiled filter on the p-flo pipe. I'm on my third MAF and in need of another...but I finally switched to an AEM dry filter, so the next one should last much longer.

I have the Unitronic intake. It uses a dry filter btw..
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3821373&postcount=50

When I do smoke tests I just remove the end filter and connect my self made adapter to the intake. There's no smoke coming from the MAF area, but just for the sake of it I rolled some soft putty in the shape of a gasket and added it between the MAF and the port. There is no way for it to leak now.

Finder

Ready to race!
The temp has dropped and my issue is back again in full force. Running lean as a fu*k again and the CEL keeps me company during my daily commute.
So definitely outside temp plays a role here.
I have ordered a new MAP sensor and IAT sensor. They are one of the few sensors left that I haven't replaced.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Good on the filter you use...and that you've taken measures to ensure there are no MAF to intake leaks. Likely this is not a sensor, but it could be. So, what's the LTFT block 2 value at and where was it before the climate change? Yours is never within ±10% right? And, there are no other, than the P2177, error codes? .... and/or any noticeable symptoms correct?

Being this is "Off Idle" when lean, I got to say that other than a faulty O2 or MAF reading and if fuel pressures are good(both high and low?)...it is most likely to be an injector not delivering as it should. I know no one wants to replace injectors, but you may end up doing so. You can have them pressure tested for around $25 each...but this doesn't test if they retain the proper spray pattern and volume.

How many miles are on the HPFP and injectors(S3 right?)?

Last edited:

Finder

Ready to race!
The LFTF was at 17% sometime in July. Today I found it at 20.7% and the outside temp is at 8C.
No other codes than P2177.
Fuel pressure has always been good. See first pages of this thread for logging data.
S3 injectors have almost 100k km on them but there are ZERO symptoms of injector failure (misfires) so I am not going to replace them.
Replaced my HPFP internals with a new IE kit a few months ago.
I honestly feel that I've wasted my money and time on chasing fueling issues and I won't go down this path any further.
I'm sure that the issue is an air related sensor or boost/vacuum leak somewhere.

Last edited:

tedted

FINDER, what k04 do you have? You show the same maf readings (in g/s) as I do. Brad (ROH) says he gets upwards of 260g/s.

Can others post what they get? Especially with a perfect running k04 with similar mods.

Finder

Ready to race!
OEM K04 turbo

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
This was my last data done on Oct 2, 2017...Mass Air is column 'D'. This is on a 4 to 5 year old MAF that ran most of the time with an oiled Neuspeed filter. Got a 2 month old AEM dri-flo filter now and a new MAF is coming soon. I started a thread for the P2177 code...and hoping some people will post their findings and solutions when it is other than the normal causes. I've got data somewhere in the files of when the current MAF was new and Mass Air was 280. You can see my high fuel pressure request of just 110 bar(column H) I still haven't resolved :iono:

Last edited:

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
FINDER, what k04 do you have? You show the same maf readings (in g/s) as I do. Brad (ROH) says he gets upwards of 260g/s.

Can others post what they get? Especially with a perfect running k04 with similar mods.

I get between 250 and 260 g/s @6500rpm. My setup consists of used Golf R K04, injectors and DV location, IE HPFP, P-Flo intake, APR 93oct tune. My LTFT with the P-Flo range between +7 and +10 and the car runs great.

Finder

Ready to race!
Installed new MAP and IAT sensors. MAP made the car run smoother so my old one wasn't running properly (boost was fluctuating a bit at partial throttle).
However none fixed the lean condition.

Finder

Ready to race!
Last week I went and spoke to the owner of a shop that is specialized in high end german car repairs and at some point he told me to consider the secondary oxygen sensor as a possible suspect.
I also found the following on Rosstech's fuel trim info page:
"The rear O2 sensor is used mostly to monitor the condition of the catalytic convertor, although in some applications it also contributes to trim information."
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

Does anyone have more info on this? Is the rear O2 adjusting trims on our engine?

Finder

Ready to race!

Finder

Ready to race!