GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ED30: Cam Follower Check & Replacement (69k km/43k miles)

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
ED30 4th quarter 2007 like mine have the B cams. Not sure about the 2008 models but they probably have the B cams also. I don't drive the car like I stole it but I do drive aggressively, I race other cars quite often I'll take the car like 4-5 days a week for a few runs, say like 10 runs each day either vs other cars or by myself. During those runs I usually put 5th gear. Rest of the times/days it'll either be parked or cruising around. That's to give you an idea how I use the car. I beat on it but I don't kill it. Mods at sig. Stock pump obviously.

Here's my old cam follower on the left versus a brand new on the right. First replacement at 69k kilometers or 43k miles. Bought the car new. As you can see it's just starting to show wear, could've thrown it back in but I had a new one sitting around which I bought 3 months ago and I said oh well just replace such a cheap part anyways big deal. Cam itself is intact.

Oil every 7500 km or a tad more than 4500 miles, Castrol EDGE Professional LongLife III 5W-30 it's the one I have here:

Always run Shell "V-Power Racing" 100 octane RON which is the US equivalent 95, it's top class fuel in terms of purity as well, checking that every 7500 km (bit over 4500 miles) with my fuel filter which comes out so clean my mechanic said what you drove 200 km? Refill only at a certain gas station. Dunno if fuel has any part in the follower's situation but just threw that out there.

turbo59x

Bo.0sTiN ^up^ . . .
Car(s)
MKV GTi :: Spirited
Does anybody have Manufacturing Background on these parts?

For instance, the material used and it's machining process?

Don't for get that black coating. is it for friction reduction??

Any info is appreciated, I would like to have a closer look at the faults.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Australian?
Nope, I do have a bunch of uncles and cousins living in Melbourne though.

How come there are a few in New Zealand?
Really didn't know there were ED30's in NZ thought it was a Euro only version.

Does anybody have Manufacturing Background on these parts?

For instance, the material used and it's machining process?

Don't for get that black coating. is it for friction reduction??

Any info is appreciated, I would like to have a closer look at the faults.

These should help.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153186

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143510

Listen guys, I'm not saying that whoever has a B cam should be worry-free. On the contrary few days ago I was talking to a guy with an ED30 who I met at a coffee shop about a week ago, very cool dude he has it in CW bought his car new like me but his is a 2008. He has more kilometers than me, said his first follower was punched through at 80k km and of course it was a costly repair. Actually that was the reason I decided to check mine yesterday cause initially I had it planned for a couple thousand kilometers more. And by the looks of it I could've let it sit there for at least another 10k if not more but it doesn't matter no harm was done replacing it, now a new one is in there and I'm happy. Gonna upgrade my hpfp anyway so..

I know you've read it over and over in other threads but I'll say it once more just check your cam follower such a quick and easy job took 15 minutes. A cam B cam.. just check it. I guess I'm of the lucky ones to have such a minor wear on my follower.