GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG stick noise when downhill and putting into P(Park)

No_32

Car(s)
VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
Guys this is my first post and sorry if it is in the wrong place but I really need your advice.

So my car is VW Golf 5 GTi DSG 2005 with 110000 KM.I bought the car at 105000 KM and I had no problems with it since.The car went into service for full analysis after I bought it and there were no problems.DSG oil is changed and engine oil aswell.

The problem,if I can call it that way is : today when I was parking downhill I put the car on P(Park) and it rolled a bit just like it usually does.The thing is,after the roll is done,when the car stops a sound comes from the DSG stick for a fraction of a second.I am 99% sure it's the parking pin.The thing is,the DSG stick only does this sound when I am downhill or uphill and after the roll is finished.On a normal road there is nothing like this.If I apply the handbrake before putting into P there is no sound at all because the car doesn't roll.This is the first time I notice this since I never parked the car downhill or uphill before.
Overall,it's just that clunk it makes,no any other noises while driving or anything.
Other than that,the DSG is perfect when it comes to gear changes,low speed,high speed,low RPMs,high RPMs,Sport mode,Reverse.No other problems or noises come out at all.Even when changing manually,the transmission is without any problems.

Tell me if this is normal or if the parking pin or transmission has a problem.

Sorry if this is too long but I really want to take good care of my car.Thank you in advance guys !

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
When you park: put the car on N then use the handbrake then move to P then switch off the ignition.

When you move: switch on the ignition then move the car to N then release the handbrake then move it to D.

Just curious - what does that do? Why would stopping in neutral cause the dsg to react differently than putting into P while holding the brake and then pulling the handbrake and releasing the brakes doesn't do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No_32

Car(s)
VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
Thanks guys ! I'm not worrying anymore since I drove 100 kms today with no problems.Thank you all and have a happy new year !

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
When you park: put the car on N then use the handbrake then move to P then switch off the ignition.

When you move: switch on the ignition then move the car to N then release the handbrake then move it to D.

That is way overkill! But I like your style!

The DSG is actually a manual trans, so you need to treat it like one. Letting the car rest on the parking gear is terrible for the trans. When you stop to park, keep your foot on the brake, pull the handbrake then put into park and take your foot off the brake pedal. The whole point is to hold the car with the hand brake and not the trans. That's the reason it's so hard to pull out of park with the stick when you don't do what I said, the whole weight of the car × the degree of incline equals a lot of weight on that gear.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Thanks guys ! I'm not worrying anymore since I drove 100 kms today with no problems.Thank you all and have a happy new year !

I think you are good. What you were hearing was the weight of the car pushing against the gear which is a bad thing. Try and use the handbrake before switching to "P" and turning engine off.

No_32

Car(s)
VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
I think you are good. What you were hearing was the weight of the car pushing against the gear which is a bad thing. Try and use the handbrake before switching to "P" and turning engine off.

That's exactly what I was thinking,it just makes no noise at all when using the handbrake before switching to P.Thank you!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Handbrake every time, it's good practice and better for the car.