GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drop in Rods DIY? FSI Big Turbo Inquiry

Juggern@ut

Yezus Krys
Car(s)
GTi MKV
Couldn't find the Big Turbo thread but it may be my all acting weird.

So I've been informed by a well experienced shop that to do said job will cost around $1700 and an additional $700 for a custom tune from Unitronic. My question is in 3 parts

- How difficult is it to do drop in rods?

- Would I need to balance the crank?

- How well will stock internals do with a big turbo unlike the 'spikier' ko4?

I will most likely buy IE rods and I am reading that I would need 1.8T AWD engine code bearings

Parts List
• GTX3071R (ATP Kit)
• RS4 Injectors
• APR HPFP
• APR FMIC
• R8 Coilpacks
• USP TTRS LPFP
• Forge DV Relocation
• ARP Head Bolts
• Gasket

Sent from an Abacus

Last edited:

Mighty20t

Passed Driver's Ed
Any pointers or thing I should be extra cautious with? Special tools?

Just let the shop worry about it?

With pistons out, you'll want to replace the rings and have the block honed properly. IMO, unless you have previous experience with it, it's better (and usually cheaper in the long run) to pay a shop to do it.

Honing is something I've never gotten the hang of so I usually have someone else do it for me. You're gunna need a poly drive bolt for the head bolts or triple square, depends on which ones. You'll need inverted torx for rod bolts coming out. T45 for balance shaft sprocket.

Also the correct way to check clearances is a micrometer and t handle and then plasti gauge after. Also a dial inductor and bore gauge to check bore wear, then check ring fitment with a feeler gauge. Oem rings don't usually need to be cut but bigger boosted apps like to open that top ring a tad.

Juggern@ut

Yezus Krys
Car(s)
GTi MKV
Just let the shop worry about it?

With pistons out, you'll want to replace the rings and have the block honed properly. IMO, unless you have previous experience with it, it's better (and usually cheaper in the long run) to pay a shop to do it.

Noted. did plan on replacing rings just failed to mention.

Does anyone know what bearing would be best? A part number would be great too.

Sent from an Abacus

Juggern@ut

Yezus Krys
Car(s)
GTi MKV

Go to ecs, they have mahle bearings for like 15 bux...or u could just pay the 40 from ie or where ever you buy them. With ie rods u need 1.8t tanged bearings.

I used these in my build
https://www.europaparts.com/connecting-rod-bearing-set-034105701.html

Much appreciated man. I contacted my tuner and he's giving me a pretty good deal for my timing belt so might as well have him do the rods.

Also for tuning. What did you go with? Unitronic does not have a file for the GTX3071r with external wastegate.

Sent from an Abacus

Juggern@ut

Yezus Krys
Car(s)
GTi MKV
I have dotuning in my sig, but I do my own tuning with the help of a few others.

I like eurodyne, etuners seems to know their stuff and then united motorsports is my fav.

Can't see sigs with the app but yea I've been leaning toward Eurodyne but I've had such good experience with Unitronic I've decided to give them a shot first. IF they can't figure out the external wastegate issue I'll go elsewhere.

Sent from an Abacus