GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change on GTI (without Oil Drain Tool)

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
All done. :w00t:

Took me and my mate about an hour I suppose. But a bit of that time was spent working out that my jack stands wouldn't fit under the car, and my trolley jack couldn't get the car up high enough for the jack stands ... who'd a thunk that using the OEM jack would be the best job for that.

:laugh:

A few extra pics as well, just for some extra context. Oh, for removing the under bay engine cover I used a T25 torx screw. The first pic, taken looking towards the back of the car, shows the location of the oil filter (left) and sump plug. Second pic, of the sump plug, was taken from the opposite direction to the first pic, looking towards the front of the car. Also included is a close of the oil filter box for the part number. The filter cost me AU$33.30, and just to be extra safe I bought a new sump plug/washer for an extra $4.40 (just as well too as the old sump plug ended up in the drink ... haha!). One pretty cool observation, it's excellent having the torque setting required for tightening the filter housing imprinted on it, certainly saves dicking around checking the manual or whatever!

For the record, the Mobil 1 0W-40 was AU$105 from my local Repco outlet. The handy oil drip tray was abut $12. The 1 1/2" socket and 3/4-1/2" adapter was just over $20 from my local hardware store. Haha, so in comparison to getting my dealer to do this work for me I probably didn't save anything, but the experience was worth the expense I reckon. Next oil change should be a doddle now.

:smoking:

Cheers Liam

(ps. More pics from under the car HERE if you can be arsed.)

Attachments

• 138390122-M.jpg
    138390122-M.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 11,278
  • 138389983-M.jpg
    138389983-M.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7,824
  • 138392032-M.jpg
    138392032-M.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 8,186
  • 138393088-M.jpg
    138393088-M.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 8,091
  • 138393778-M.jpg
    138393778-M.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 7,825

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
...so in comparison to getting my dealer to do this work for me I probably didn't save anything...

How much for just Oil and Filter? Would you have saved then? My Dealership charges $80 per oil change compared to $30 if I do it myself.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
How much for just Oil and Filter? Would you have saved then? My Dealership charges $80 per oil change compared to $30 if I do it myself.

well for me my dealer charges $65 for an oil change and seeing as ecstuning.com sells the whole kit for $48.95(w/o shipping), its worth it to me to get the oil change done at the dealer so i do no work and get the oil changed for cheap(granted i can get it a bit cheaper else where lets say $40). if you can somehow get all the required parts for $30 and and the dealer charges $80 then its worth it to save the $50

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik

They were going to charge AU$198 for an oil change. If they used Mobil 1 at a retail price of AU$105 that might be a bit easier to take, but I believe they use Castrol Edge 5W-30 due to a commercial agreement bewteen VW Aus and Castrol. For 5 litres of the Catsrol Edge it will cost me AU$45 at my local auto store.

How much are you paying for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40?

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
How much are you paying for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40?

They go for roughly $4/qt. in a local store here "Wal-Mart"... but if I really wanna be cheap, I can just ask the parts manager at one of my dealerships that I service. They've always got palletes full of 6qt Mobil 1 0-40 Boxes.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
They go for roughly $4/qt. in a local store here "Wal-Mart"... but if I really wanna be cheap, I can just ask the parts manager at one of my dealerships that I service. They've always got palletes full of 6qt Mobil 1 0-40 Boxes.

I had a feeling we were getting ripped in Australia, espeically while our dollar is nudging past 80 US cents. Even if I'm generous and say, based on your post, that Mobil 1 is US$4.50 per quart, so US$22.50 for 5 quarts, which is 4.73 litres.

US$22.50 = approx AU$28 on today's exhcange rates. I paid AU$105 for 5 litres. That's insane! :iono:

:laugh:

pegscrapr

Superbike Rider
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Using Anti-Seize lubricant is a bad idea to use on bolts requiring to be torqued because you will over-tighten the bolt and possibly strip it.

I've rebuilt engines in the past, and seen many people make this common mistake.

It absolutely ruins the torque value of the bolt.

If torqued properly, your drain plug should always be easy to remove.

Also: There's a crush washer that is on your drain plug, and should be replaced every time you change your oil.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Decent write-up!