GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Custom R32-Style Taillights

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Haha, gotta love the private messaging. Kind of off topic, but I'm really thinking about ordering the "real" R32 tailights and installing them before this cruise we have next weekend at Dubs in the Valley.

reddogmt

Type A fast
Car(s)
2006 GTi
fs: jdm tint spray smoke 25$ shipped

I got an extra can not knowing how much i would need but one can is enough for the taillights and the sidemarkers. same spray as seen in this forum $25 shipped.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
PM replied. :thumbsup:

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
Thanks for this DIY everyone. I ordered the spray, and will be doing this soon! :)

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
Hey I just did this today when I got home from Waterfest. I used the exact same spray, purchased from eBay. I did two coats, came out just like yours. Does the finish eventually cure "glossy" or does it stay semi-matte? Mine is still kind of a matte finish...not that I really mind at all. Just curious. I did clean the surface before spraying.

Also, did you use any kind of clearcoat to finish it? I'm concerned this will come off with washing...

RoccoRed

I Wanna Go Fast!
its been a few weeks since i did mine...i didn't clear coat it, but now i am wishing i did..

i just ran my fingers over it and it was very bumpy and when i looked at my finger it had some black dust on it(and had just washed my car). when it is dry its very shows a very matte finish, but when its wet it looks glossy and normal

i want to try and remove it and then redo it and clear coat it after. i'm afraid that i am screwed and will need to buy new ones, which if i need to i might as well buy the R32 ones

anyone think that if i sand the areas i already sprayed then respraied the tint and applied clear coat everything will come out fine?

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
It's matte-like, and it doesn't come off when washing don't worry. Mine isn't bumpy at all. Clear-coating it would be a good idea, but I didn't.

RoccoRed

I Wanna Go Fast!
and a question for you j4xor...do your tails always look dirty? mine collects a lot of dirt and debris and never stay clean

then when i go and try to brush it off it scratches the tint..ughh.. i think i need to redo mine

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Not really, at first it did a little... not so much anymore... and yeah, you want to avoid brushing the tails when there's debris on it lol :frown:. If anything, you can always clean it, touch it up, and clear coat it.