GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Custom R32-Style Taillights

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
The project(s) at my house went well today. :thumbup: Basically, what happened was that, I wanted to tint my tails like the R32's rather than spend an extra $245 on taillights which I pretty much already have (minus the tint/shading). A few others (Cloudlink04, Conejo) were interested in doing them as well so we did their cars afterwards. So this is for those of you, like me, who'd rather go this route. All I can say is, the results were sick! :biggrin:

CREDITS:
First off, I would like to thank Alkindi (GTI 2.0T) for discussing and giving pointers to me for this project and making it happen. :thumbup: Big-ups to Pat (b3rollind3ville) for helping me do the sick masking/spraying work. Thanks to David (absoluteczech) and Andres (Cloudlink04) for helping out on the preparations and pictures, and Greg (Conejo) for the help as well/for driving back and forth to bring a buffer that we didn't even use :frown: (sorry!). So yeah, thanks you guys for coming over to help make this happen and fun. :cool: Good times.

Materials needed: (for 1 set of taillights)
- (1) can of Lens' Painter 'Smoke' tint spray (available on eBay) is recommended, VHT is not as good for this R32-style job
- (1) roll of masking paper (or newspaper)
- (1) 1/2" painter's blue masking tape (for outlining)
- (1) 3/4" painter's blue masking tape (for coverage)
- rubbing alcohol
- paper towels

OPTIONAL: You can do this on the car, or remove the tail lights. Second time around when I perfected my tail light shade (pictures not posted) on my own, I removed the tail lights because I had to clear coat/buff them after tinting. It's easy to remove... couple bolts, and that's it.

RECOMMENDATION(s):
- Clear coat, wet sand, and buffing to make it look nicer and last longer. However, you should be ok without clear coating if you choose not to.
- DO NOT over-tighten nuts on the bolts when re-installing.
- Keep tail lights from being exposed to dust, particles, dirt, etc. after tinting. Also keep away from sunlight.
- Do not touch until fully dried, and don't clean tail lights with alcohol, Windex, etc. Give it a day or so before polishing (don't buff it too hard).
- And last but not least (of course), do not overspray. (i.e. It's better to do 4 thin coats than 2 thick coats)

Please feel free to PM me for details about clear coating or if you have any other questions :smile:. Keep in mind these pictures and thread itself is pretty old.

Last edited:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Directions

1. Keep psycho dog behind gate

2. Check direction on can.....umm got it?

3. Supplies: painters blue tapes, exact-o knife, rubbing alchohal, paper towels, newpaper or paper, tail light tint spray, and BALLS

4. Some warning.........¿

5. Clean tail lights, wax on! wax off

6. DONT BE THIS GUY! STOP WTF!@$#$

7. Start taping, making the best possible circle

8. Fill in the circle(DUH)

9. Cover the edges and open hatch and do the same

10. Repeat, and cover reverse circle

OH shieeet that looks good

11. Cover for over spray, we went a bit over the edge, this much is not needed.

12. R32!

13. Clean one last time from finger smudges

14. Let the fun begin, start spraying! (Shake can for 2minutes before using)

15. Repeat, spray from left to right as evenly as possible

16. Check work, admire how well you did and pat yourself on the back for not F'ing up. (we only did 1 coat as we didnt want it too dark, you may apply 2nd for darker results)

17. Let dry, and remove!

Not bad for 30 bucks

Before

After

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :headbang:

b3rollind3ville

Ready to race!
HELLLL YAAAA! it was totally fun guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :w00t: :w00t: :headbang: going emoticon KRAYZIE!:burnrubber:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
yea nice work guys and it looks better in person!

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Good times fellers, fun shit :thumbup:. Thanks again! Thanks David for the sweet write-up and pictures. Now we'll just have to wait on Andres' set of pictures.

Zack, you ass... I have something in store for you... wait and see :wink: JERK

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
lol sure :thumbdown:, i don't even remember that incident/picture being taken... i think i was goofing around with Pat :iono:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
$30 or so. You suck at teh internetz Dennis :tongue:! j/k hehe

Yes, they are shiney... very sex.