GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dies after 4K RPM: P0321 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
My car has been sitting for a few weeks. I decided to drive it today, everything was normal until I opened it up on a nice stretch of highway. The car completely died after 4K RPM. Like the tach dropped to zero and the engine was completely dead, it sputtered and misfired for a second and then came back to life. Any time the engine hits 4k RPM it seems to die in the same way.

Vag-com scan shows:
000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P0321 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON

Ive read this could be anything from oil in the DV connector or about a million other things other than the G28 sensor itself.

Anyone have any experience with this, what should I look at as a possible cause?

Edit, not my video but this shows what I am seeing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkgOQki0RA

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Have you checked the sensor and wiring? check your PM for testing instructions.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Ordered a Bosch sensor from ECS. I'll check the DV plug for oil too once I get a chance to look at it.

Crazy that something can just break from sitting for a few weeks.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Swapped the crankshaft speed sensor today. Car runs much better and it looks like my surging at idle after giving it hell is solved too.

Job was a pain in the ass, pelican parts write-up is good but you gotta remove the charge pipe between the TB and FMIC.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Good result. Was there any swarf on your crank sensor out of interest? My cam sensor was covered in it when I replaced it, so just wondering if the crank sensor suffers the same problem.