GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crossing off GTI due to reliability/service concerns?

gilboman

Ready to race!
When was the last time you looked at Consumer Reports. They 'Recommend' the Jetta 2.5 and the GTI gets excellent in all but 2 categories for reliability.

Get your facts straight and don't base it off of 10 year old information.

Oh, and best resale value...VW

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/ReviewsAndRatings/BestResaleValueAwards.aspx?YearId=2008&SelectedTabIndex=2

actually, every year of dependability and initialquality, VW and audi is at the bottom. its not 10yr old info, but info from last 10yrs cummulative.

if reliability/service is enough of a concern/priority for anybody, VW should not be anywhere on the list in shopping for cars.

you buy VW for a number of reasons (you like heavy cars, want the cheapest way to get "german" engineering or whatever), but never if reliability or service registers anywhere as a consideration.

spezza

I know this is a little late but here is my background and thoughts:

I own an 02 RSX and i've only owned 2 cars, an integra then an rsx. On this forum as I paln on having an mkv or an mk6 as my next vehicle.

the differences between the RSX and GTI as I see it:

1. 4 door, more versatile hatch in the GTI if needed (i do now with kids)
2. GTI is faster than my non S-type RSX
3. reliability is better on the rsx, but every car has problems. i am buying a brand new GTI and I have 4 years of no worries (warranty). If i have a lot of problems i'll sell my car in 4 years or i'll trade in for a new GTI.
4. interior and ride are superior in the GTI
5. everyday people will respect your RSX more, but enthusiasts will like the GTI more or at least the same as the RSX

I buy consumer reports all the time, they are a reliable, unbiased source of info. However they are not car enthusiasts. If you want something to get you from point A to point b, have little trouble buy a toyota. if you want something fun to drive, you buy the GTI. they even love it, but don't recommend it because the body integrity and audio system have had many problems. But think of it this way as well, a car with alot of problems in its first 3 years will have 3-4 problems per year, a car at the top of the list will have 1-2. The difference is small. take care of your car and you'll be alright, if you have too many problems as them for a trade or sell it.

Marky-Mark007

Stig's American Brother
Car(s)
2007 Black Magic GTI
I was looking at the dates of the original posts, and I was thinking, "why the heck is this thread from 06 still alive? Who goes that far into the archives?"

gtimkvftw

18dogbaby
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI 6MT
I was looking at the dates of the original posts, and I was thinking, "why the heck is this thread from 06 still alive? Who goes that far into the archives?"

I thinks it's a by-product of bitching at people to search. They search, find a thread from 3 years ago and ask their question. Then everyone says "who dug this up?" :wink:

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
WOW old ass thread

spezza

you know what, i didn't do a search. i don't know how I found it. I was definetly interested by the title. I knew it was late, 6 months since it had been discussed but wanted to add my two cents. better than starting a new thread i think for the same thing.

Alexander4523

Passed Driver's Ed
I too am a consumer of consumer reports. I bought a 2004 Acura TL based on their "glowing" reccomendation back then. What a POS. Don't get me wrong it had all the bells and whistles....BUT Tranny blew at 35k, window regulators were replaced 4 or 5 times...yes 4 OR TIMES. Plus many other small problems. I guess you could blame it on first generation issues.

Tranny (or torque converter) was going again at 85k miles before I dumped it at CarMax.

While CR might be good for most things, I agree cars they don't get right all the time. I went with the GTI because I loved it. I love the way it feels, it just feels good to drive.

I have always been a Vdubber back to Day 1 of driving...yes I have had some problems with them...but the reward you get by driving makes it worth it.

PS: I got my Fast today---Yippeee (came about 5 weeks after purchase).

Last edited:

StrangeUsername

SOCOM: Confrontation FTW
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI MkV
wow. just, wow.

Deingeist

I agree with Horizon and Sin City, I'm happy to hear you got the GTI. I am a little biased, I love German cars. I also love my cars like a German. That's the key. If you keep up proper maintenance and use the owners manual of your new VeeDub, and treat the car like it deserves to be treated you'll be golden. It's important to find a good garage, either the dealer or otherwise.

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
i have an 2006 gti the only problems i have had where blown pcv dealer fixed that and when my cam went bad because it was the A cam. Now i have the B revision cam and everyhting is all good couldnt be happier and dont get fooled every car has its problems one gti could have very little problems and the next could have alot more problems its hit or miss with cars