GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crossing off GTI due to reliability/service concerns?

Wargen023

Autocross Newbie
In europe any VW of any time is considered reliable. The only explanaition i can see is that there are to few VW´s in america to make any statistics out of it. Or because some of the models are built in mexico or south africa or whatever, and simlpy are crap.

Cant remember one time ive read unreliability and Volkswagen in the same sentence. Execept for in america, so something is very stange...

For an example dodges, pontiac or chryslers compared to any VW at all, do not play in the same league when it comes to reliability at least not in swedish climate.

slickvic

I scare other drivers
That being said...

If you want a five year car, go for the RSX. They're built well, will last forever, and they already have a few with the hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Hell, my friend bought one in '02 or so, and it was still going strong with NO issues after about 90k miles. He sold it to another friend of mine who still has it, still going strong.

Um guys, this thread was started a year ago in Feb 2006. The OP already said way back then that he decided and bought a GTI. Does Acura even sell the RSX anymore? :laugh:

mwilkie_75

Look I have had my GTI over one year, I drive alot for work, Field service for Photo Equpment and have just over 70K Miles on my GTI. I have had it in the shop 2 times in that year for small issues. I had a wheel bearing go bad in the rear, no cost replaced and got a free rental car for the two days. Next was a intake vacume valve, and it cost me 175.00 Dollars with gasket. I put it on myself, and here I am looking to get a 150k out of the "best car I have ever owned."

pegscrapr

Superbike Rider
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I know what you mean, I had Fox (don't make fun) and sold it with 150k. My wife drove a Jetta GLX when we met and we sold that with 200k. It just goes to show that if you take car of a car it will take car of you.

My sentiments exactly. The key to having a car last a long time is just a matter of taking good care of it. Usually, keeping the oil and intake filter nice and clean keeps a car very happy.

If you look at the required maintenance in the owners manual... the car doesn't need much.

I've always believed that if anything major is going to break on a car, it's usually going to happen early.. at which point, it should be covered by warranty.

Like you and a lot of other people, I was concerned about reliability also.
After reading tons of reviews from the US and Europe, I felt comfortable buying the car. It seems VW has done a great job with this car, and it feels like it's very solidly built.

Good luck in your decision!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
VW is a Passion/Cult.
The reliability of the car is no worse than all the others. It's all up to you and how you take care of it. I've had all sorts of VW's and other cars in my life and VW has always stuck with me. I love 'em!!!

nate122

Go Kart Champion
reliability is a issue. but fun factor is another.

a friend of mine has an rsx type s. he loves it I have a rabbit i love mine.

gti is different than rabbits such a turbo/ different transmission but i dunno the only problem i had with my rabbit is the audio. weird static noise and at higher speeds the bass kicks in like crazy. besides that i love the car.
I'm sure its not gonna last as long as a honda but hey. im having fun with my car

Maximum6

FASTER
To the original poster,

I am about the most neutral person you'll come across if its between car brands.

Rsx is the better car...unfortunately in only comes 2 door.

The only thing GTi is better compared to RSX are the interior bits. That is it. It is not worth holding on to this car for reliability or performance. GTi is a fat pig, with uncomfortable seats (if you don't have leather, and if you do its even a fatter pig). It comes with a stupid american standard height and no TV for the Navigation. The car stalled on so many people it is not cool anymore.

The euro gti is a whole different car. American GTi is a pile of shit.

Get the RSX if it is not too late :yikes:

streetbob57

Passed Driver's Ed
I just turned 10k on my GTI no real problems. I think vw gets low marks because an trip to a dealer even if it is a little rattle goes down as a problem.
The only isuee I have had is my key remote open door button stopped working and when I picked the car up my side trim was coming off. (double backe tape)
This all goes against reliability scores.
You will absolutely enjoy your Mk5
We have an awesome dealer network in NH hope you find one that treats you well.

Setzerr1

Luv My Dub
Car(s)
2007 GTI, DSG
VW's in my Life:
Current - 2007 GTI MK5, 9,500 miles, no problems. Most fun car I have ever owned. Recently put in an APR ECM flash. Damn it goes.
Before that - 2004 GTI MKIV - 60,000 miles, no problems.
Before that - 2003 GTI MKIV - Lemon. Dealer took it back with no fuss, and gave me the car above.
Before that - 1998 or so Jetta, 80,000 +or-, no problems
Before that - 1970 something bug. 100,000 plus miles. Sold it for more than I paid for it. Had to have the valves adjusted regularly.
Before that - 1970's something. VW Dasher station wagon. Drove really well. Total loss in a crash less than 2 months after purchase.

I 49 yrs old. Also have had Trans Ams, Firebirds, 1964 Chevy Impala (built to the max and would go like a bat out of hell.

I can afford anything I want within reason. Give me MY FAST any day. The fun is worth any potential hassle.

My wife has a 2007 Eos. She loves that thing and will most likely get the APR ECM flash as well.

Good luck.

TunerES

VW's in my Life:
Current - 2007 GTI MK5, 9,500 miles, no problems. Most fun car I have ever owned. Recently put in an APR ECM flash. Damn it goes.
Before that - 2004 GTI MKIV - 60,000 miles, no problems.
Before that - 2003 GTI MKIV - Lemon. Dealer took it back with no fuss, and gave me the car above.
Before that - 1998 or so Jetta, 80,000 +or-, no problems
Before that - 1970 something bug. 100,000 plus miles. Sold it for more than I paid for it. Had to have the valves adjusted regularly.
Before that - 1970's something. VW Dasher station wagon. Drove really well. Total loss in a crash less than 2 months after purchase.

I 49 yrs old. Also have had Trans Ams, Firebirds, 1964 Chevy Impala (built to the max and would go like a bat out of hell.

I can afford anything I want within reason. Give me MY FAST any day. The fun is worth any potential hassle.

My wife has a 2007 Eos. She loves that thing and will most likely get the APR ECM flash as well.

Good luck.

will it last me 100K+ miles w/ none to barely any problems? considering i get a used 06 w/ 25K+ miles? hey and one more question. What's with the oil filter? and why is it different from other cars?

gilboman

Ready to race!
Sorry I cant comment on the Acura as they don't have them over here :iono:

In therms of the MK5 GTI mines just past its first birthday with just over 7000miles on the clock.

Faults to date have been :-

1: 6CD packed up (replaced under warranty and I suppose this could happen on any car) Its now replaced with a VW Ipod prep so it doesn't matter :wink:

2: I have had a whole set of injectors in my car replaced at only 6500 miles. It was back into the dealer 3 times with a really strong petrol smell before they finally diagnosed the perforated injectors and now all is well again :cool:

Has any of the above put me off my GTI ? Not one bit I love the thing to death. My last 5 cars have all been VWs or Audis and I've had no real long term reliability problems with any of them :headbang:

In summary if you want a car that stirs your emotions EVERY time you drive it then buy the GTI. If you want 100% reliability then go for the Acura (which I'm assuming is a Jap origin motor ?)

the RSX-S also handles better and is more connected to the road and more nimble. its a shame you dont get the RSX-S there (don't you guys have the integra? its the same thing)