GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crossing off GTI due to reliability/service concerns?

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Bump, this thread should stay near the top since I'm sure due to VW's recent not-so-nice reputation for reliability there will be quite a few newcomers wondering the same thing I did. My thread might help them out.

DTMDoc

Ready to race!
Thank you to everyone, who has posted to this forum. I am seriously, seriously thinking of selling my E36 M3 and getting the GTI. I still love the M3, but it is too expensive to maintain, but I would still like to have a sporty car which is fairly practical (I have two kids). My greatest concern is the reliability of the VW GTi.

So far I am leaning to getting the GTi.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I've had good experiences with the two vw's that I've had. They sometimes try to overcharge you for elementary things like oilchanges and what not, but the salespeople are generally very friendly and reasonably well informed. I've found tech guys to be a bit arrogant - but I don't think that's unique to VW. As far as the cars go, they are definitely complex and not made for tinkering - but VW's also seem to be long lived. Another thing to consider is that a VW has a strong resale value, so that if you decide to part ways with it before the turbo has 150k on it, you should recoup enough money for a nice downpayment. With any car it's a roll of the dice. I'm sure Japanese has a word for a lemon. Germans call it a monday car... Get the car that makes you the happiest and gets the job done.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
KharatosGTI said:
What's stopping me from buying a GTI, however, is the concern with overall reliability and dealership customer service. What do you guys think?

I have owned various VW and Audi models since 1978.

I have owned 7 VWs in that period, 4 of them new.

I have owned MkI, MkII, MkIII and MkIV models.

I have never had any significant reliability issues with any of these VWs. Mechanical, electrical, body, interior, anything. Not even a worn clutch.

My current MkIV GTI has been nearly flawless in 6 1/2 years and 70,000 miles.

I think the poor reliability rap for VW is only due to folks who consider an occasional burned out bulb or a brake screak a "reliabilty" problem.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
I dont know about this. Granted my last GTI had only had around 27k at the end of 3yrs but my previous MKIV I hammered driving up and down the UK for 2yrs and it never game me any problems. I never used to drive it weekends as I had my Jap MR2 turbo then but been driving GTI's now for near on 10yrs and always found em reliable.

So why is the civic 4k stg cheaper then than the GTI??

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I've been by the Acura dealership and have seen RSX's in there being worked on. I drove one that was traded here (Jeep dealer) with 30k on it, to be quite frank, it drove like a car with 100k miles on it. It needed both front axles to be replaced. Both my Integra GS'Rs had dash rattles and felt "hollow' to me, like there was no road noise isolation dampning. I do understand the intangible feel the MKV gives you while driving. Some cars take getting beat on better than others as well. My first car was a 90 Civic Si that I beat down like a freak (I was 18 and paid for it myself), but it was a loud, raw, simple car.
That being said, I think VW backs their cars better than everyone except Hyundai and the other brands they can't give away with the 4yr/50 bumper to bumper, and 5/60 powertrain.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I just think the RSX is an inferior car to the gti in every single way. It's noisier, cramped, less attractive, less responsive, and not a dime cheaper. Get the GTI and if you're worried about it, trade it in with 80k miles and get a good return on investment. VW's keep their residuals well.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
herrstreet said:
I just think the RSX is an inferior car to the gti in every single way. It's noisier, cramped, less attractive, less responsive, and not a dime cheaper. Get the GTI and if you're worried about it, trade it in with 80k miles and get a good return on investment. VW's keep their residuals well.

Man...you make it sound like Acura cars are made out of cardboard or something.

AlphAZender

Drag Race Newbie
Mainy said:
Sorry I cant comment on the Acura as they don't have them over here :iono:

In therms of the MK5 GTI mines just past its first birthday with just over 7000miles on the clock.

Faults to date have been :-

1: 6CD packed up (replaced under warranty and I suppose this could happen on any car) Its now replaced with a VW Ipod prep so it doesn't matter :wink:

2: I have had a whole set of injectors in my car replaced at only 6500 miles. It was back into the dealer 3 times with a really strong petrol smell before they finally diagnosed the perforated injectors and now all is well again :cool:

Has any of the above put me off my GTI ? Not one bit I love the thing to death. My last 5 cars have all been VWs or Audis and I've had no real long term reliability problems with any of them :headbang:

In summary if you want a car that stirs your emotions EVERY time you drive it then buy the GTI. If you want 100% reliability then go for the Acura (which I'm assuming is a Jap origin motor ?)

Mainv has nailed it.

I have owned Hondas aka (Acura in USA) and VWs. VW is like that hot date that doesnt always treat you like but you turn the other cheek just because. Honda, has the middle of the road looks but as dependable as taxes and death.

jas1448

Passed Driver's Ed
Move along.......

:wink: "What's stopping me from buying a GTI, however, is the concern with overall reliability and dealership customer service"

Stop right there! If you have these concerns the GTI is not for you. Why? Because if you purchased one and the slightest thing went wrong with it you would think GTI's suck. Then the dealership would suck and then all VW's would suck. You would post it on the web somewhere, someone contemplating buying a GTI would read your post, and then he would post a question something like this, "What's stopping me from buying a GTI, however, is the concern with overall reliability and dealership customer service"

We must break this vicious circle now. Buy a Honda Civic. The you will never have to worry about reliability, getting to your job interview, or your finals.

You also would never have to worry about having any fun or driving a FAST, fun car that is a blast to drive.

Move along, move along, there is nothing to see here. Just GTI owners having a blast. Move along.
:burnrubber:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
newtogolf said:
are all vw golfs really such a risk to own and unreliable? or is it just the GTIs as they are more high performance. surely owning a standard 1.4 litre should be more reliable.

All 21st century VWs are reliable. These forum comments are just folks fussing.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I'm not saying they're made of cardboard, but Honda/Acura has definitley skimped out on sound deadening. That RSX may have been a poor example due to it being beat on, but quite a few enthusiasts are very hard on cars. My main beef with it was you have to turn a million rpms to feel power where with a turbo car it's almost right off idle. Much more fun in traffic and real world driving.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
In traffic Im lucky if Im getting to 3rd...there is power on every gear which is what ive always loved bout the GTI turbo. Still not hearing that "psst" noise yet though...could always hear it on my MKIV turbo..