GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crossing off GTI due to reliability/service concerns?

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
SinCity702 said:
So your basing your car buying off of the service you will get AFTER you get the car. Every car has its problems. The better you baby your car the more it will last. If you don't like the dealership go find a mechanic soon as your warranty runs out. As for me I have my own shop I never go to the dealership.

Yes, that's basically what I'm getting at. So what's wrong with having concerns with dealerships? If I pay for an extended warranty, I sure do hope the dealership doesn't jerk me around while trying to get my car back onto the road.

Now, don't take my words totally out of context... I'm not entirely basing buying a GTI just on this alone, but I sure as hell won't buy a $23k+ car from a company that gives crappy service. That CAN be a deal breaker in my personal opinion. I understand that you have a reliable mechanic on the side, and that's fine, but I want as much of a trouble-free experience during my warranty days. So please, don't undermine my concerns for quality service next time. Thanks

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. It's hard to generalize an entire Marque as being reliable. I've had problems with my Saab/Subaru in the first year (in the shop for two months). Does this mean Subaru's are unreliable? Quite the opposite if you look at the statistics. My friend has an 05 Accord EX sedan, a car which almost always does well in reliability test and to date it has had it's entire tranny and the entire center stack (radio and climate controls) replaced. If you like the VW, get it. If you like the Acura, get it.

If you consider maintence costs, take into consideration depreciation too. The MK5 is brand new, the RSX is about to be replaced by a new model.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
I just want to thank everyone that replied and tried to help and let you guys know that I'm still considering. It's just that this is really quite a dilemma and at this point I still can't say "Okay, THAT's the one I want, 100% positive, no questions."

To add more headache to the matter, I test drove both cars AGAIN today and I came out giving both cars a 9 out of 10, in my heart it really is a freaking tie right now. I wish I could take both cars home lol but of course I can't, honestly these two cars are so competitive for me. For example, the 2.0T has more torque, sounds awesome when you step on it and pulls strong, but despite having only 140lbs of torque, the K20 never feels like it's slow or "has no torque", and it also makes a fabulous sound track. They are just so head-to-head right now it's not even funny.

Okay I really just wanted to thank everyone for helping because I didn't want to make one post and never show my face again, it's just that I'm in such a dilemma right now I don't really have much more information to add to my thread, I just have to sort this out myself. I like to be sure, because everything I've done in life that I wasn't sure about, I ended up regretting it.

In the mean time, keep your suggestions and comments coming please, just know that I AM reading them and benefitting from them.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
I've decided.

I just can't excuse it with reliability concerns any longer, the GTI simply wins my heart, I can't deny it, it's love.

Will be ordering a white one with manual, pkg 1 and 18s. WOOT! Reason I'm ordering is because unlike the shady Honda dealers, VW dealers in this area ACTUALLY let you test drive (think Civic Si) despite it being a hot hatch and brand new model so they all have some miles on them already and I like my car to be completely new. :biggrin:

Thanks guys for all your help! Feels good to finally come to a conclusion, I'll post pics when I get it. Can't wait!

bmwr32

Drag Race Newbie
KharatosGTI said:
In the mean time, keep your suggestions and comments coming please, just know that I AM reading them and benefitting from them.

I would like to add that I am current Honda Civic owner, and it is getting close to that time where I must part with my very first car, and I too am having the same problem deciding which will be my next car. With being a Honda owner in my opinion comes peace of mind, because it is a mechanically sound car to drive a type of car that I know will start everytime and will not let me down, and it hasnt, when it has it has been a quick fix (aside from waiting for the parts to arrive at the dealer, ofcourse!). The service at my somewhat local Honda dealership has been excellent, they send my a thank you card everytime I visit. It is hard to comprehend that not every car company whatever it is has great customer service, I believe that is a matter of just simply going from VW dealer to VW dealer and or doing some research on that particular dealer, to see if they are in fact providing good customer service. Just a suggestion ofcourse!

Along with the consideration of getting the new GTI, I was considering the new Si, but like someone else said who wants to rev your car to 8,000 everytime you shift to get the "feel" of power. I believe that when the time comes to buy, I will join the many before me and purchase the MKV GTI!!!! Sorry for the delayed response, I hope this helps you further in your decision and sorry for the novel!!! LOL!!!! :burnrubber:

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
KharatosGTI said:
I've decided.

I just can't excuse it with reliability concerns any longer, the GTI simply wins my heart, I can't deny it, it's love.

Will be ordering a white one with manual, pkg 1 and 18s. WOOT! Reason I'm ordering is because unlike the shady Honda dealers, VW dealers in this area ACTUALLY let you test drive (think Civic Si) despite it being a hot hatch and brand new model so they all have some miles on them already and I like my car to be completely new. :biggrin:

Thanks guys for all your help! Feels good to finally come to a conclusion, I'll post pics when I get it. Can't wait!

good choice.. goodluck! :headbang:

CalBoyTex

Banned
Car(s)
2006 GTI
when it comes to liability... it all depends on the dealer. VW here where i live is a very good dealership, they are all extremely nice and are explaining the fine prints in their services to me so i get a full understanding. Plus if i buy from them, they are willing to extend my warranty for dirt cheap.. so im thinking of going the GTI way myself.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
CalBoyTex said:
when it comes to liability... it all depends on the dealer. VW here where i live is a very good dealership, they are all extremely nice and are explaining the fine prints in their services to me so i get a full understanding. Plus if i buy from them, they are willing to extend my warranty for dirt cheap.. so im thinking of going the GTI way myself.

I'm in the SF bay area too, what is this good dealership you speak of?

GTT

Touring Car Champion
KharatosGTI said:
Hi all:

Now with the Acura I'm pretty certain it will offer me relatively cheap and trouble-free motoring for the time that I plan on keeping it, but with the GTI, I'm not so sure. I'm not so sure it will properly get me to my finals on time, I'm not so sure it's not gonna leave me stranded half way to my first job's interview, I'm not so sure it's not gonna make me call a tow truck when I'm on a road trip. Due to Volkswagen's recent history I just simply CAN'T be sure, this will be my only car so I NEED it to work all the time and every time.

First, good selection on your cars. I too love the RSX-S. It's got my favorite manual gearbox in just about any car. It's also a very nice interior, however, it's not up to the GTI standard as the GTI is new and the RSX-S is now quite old.
You want to keep the car for 5 years? Then, don't get the RSX as it's qutie old hat now. The interior is showing it's age and it's due for a redesign very soon. The new Civic Si will probabl outperform it or match it. Unless you can get an extremely great dealer, well under invoice, on the RSX-S, I wouldn't do it.

The GTI has a better ride, and is much quieter overall. The GTI is a bit faster depending on the trans. and the mod options are much more satisfying on the turob GTI than the NA RSX-S.

As far as reliability, if odds of reliability are more important to you than getting the car you like better, the Acura might be for you. Yes, overall the Acura RSX-S has better odds that you won't have as many problems. However, not having as many and not having any are NOT the same thing. Every car has the potential to have an issue even an Acura, Honda, Toyota.
Check into the history of what the VW problems have been and you might find that the problems are not that detrimental. Also, look at how many problems pop up per 1000 vehicles and you'll see that most cars today are quite reliable.

The warranties are qutie good on both cars.
Honda/Acura have finally increased their warranties, probably due to the big success of Hyundai and it's 10/100,000 power train warranty.
Currently the RSX has a 4/50k bumper to bumper and a 6/70k power train warranty.
The GTI has a 4/50k bumper to bumper and a 5/60k power train warranty.
The Acura has a slightly better warranty by 1 years and 10k miles.
Overall, both have a very long warranty.

The GTI has been out for at least 1 year in production in the Euro market and the intial teething problems have been fixed. In the US we are getting a car that has been on road tested for at least 1 year, so that is a good thing.

I wouldn't sweat the reliabiltiy. It's not as if VW's are strewn across the roadways with people being stranded. Consumer Reports is a much exaggerated publication that does better with TV's and toasters. VW and Audi had a large rash of failing ignition coils, and CR jumped on the lack of quality by giving the worst score it could for "electrical-ignition" problems.
The problem was diagnosed and fixed. Sure, it would be great if the problem never happened, but they did fix it.
Also, Toyota as well had a rash of engine problems with V6 engines sludging badly, however, have you heard of Toyota's being given a poor score of reliability for their V6 engines of late?
No you haven't .

I'm a driving enthusiast first and choose my cars based on their ability to make my daily drive a fun experience. Relability is below that on my list because I know that all things mechanical can break and have problems. If I choose my car based on my changes of not having a problem I would be buying a toaster rather than a car. Reliability is very important, but to me, the more rewarding drive is more important. I can get an ignition coil fixed, or a squeeky belt, but it's really hard to fix yourself when you see the car you really like driving by and you say to yourself, "that's a cool car, I wish I would have got that one instead."
:thumbup: Go for the car you really want.

TT

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
I have done 5000 miles in the mk5 GTI so far,
Problems so far.
1) steering rack on full lefthand lock going backwatds makes a noise. (known problem, new modified racks now been fitted by dealers and on production line since start of the year)
2) squeek rattle from top of the dash, its the grill on the top centre of the dash, only there if you get climate control iirc.

No other problems.

Mates Mk5 GTI
~3000 mile mark now most miles done by me he hates driving long distance.
problems
Xenon headlights set too high from factory.

As a family we have owned a few VW products in the last few years. Parents last cars 1 was faultless for 89,000 miles and 8 years till traded for new one last year. Other one is 10 years old 105,000 miles and has needed front wheelbarings, shocks, bottom ball joints in the past couple of years. No other problems.

My mk1 GTI i have owned for 15 years and 92,000 miles only faults were squeeks and rattles that were easy fixed but then again its a 23 year old car now.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
snoopy said:
Mates Mk5 GTI
~3000 mile mark now most miles done by me he hates driving long distance.
problems
Xenon headlights set too high from factory.

Many UK GTIs with xenons are reporting this, there's a quick and easy fix - basically, the xenons need to be adjusted for UK driving. They come out of the factory set for European roads, and VW UK does not adjust them. When I was driving to Paris late last year I took my car into VW to have the beams adjusted - I was told that they were already set for continental driving. When I came back, they adjusted them for UK driving and since then no one's flashed me about my lights being too bright. Take the car into VW, ask them to check it out, it's literally a 15 minute job. They oughn't to charge you either, at least I didn't have to pay anything.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Thanks, we got them done ages ago, when i noticed they were too high. It does seem all VWuk models are set too high and the dealers forget to reset them at PDI.

Sincity

Passed Driver's Ed
Same dilemna here. My last VW was a '90 Corrado I bought new. Kept it for 56k miles. OVerheating issues, cooling fan dying, brake issues. I kept it till '95. Because of that VW, I have not come back to the marque....until now. I too hope reliability has improved. Just went to a local dealer here in Vegas and the mechanic told me not to buy a first year model VW. But then again, the GTI has been out in other parts of the world for a about a year now. Hopefully once the 4 door comes out, most of the issues, if any, will have been sorted out.

cmdrfire said:
Many UK GTIs with xenons are reporting this, there's a quick and easy fix - basically, the xenons need to be adjusted for UK driving. They come out of the factory set for European roads, and VW UK does not adjust them. When I was driving to Paris late last year I took my car into VW to have the beams adjusted - I was told that they were already set for continental driving. When I came back, they adjusted them for UK driving and since then no one's flashed me about my lights being too bright. Take the car into VW, ask them to check it out, it's literally a 15 minute job. They oughn't to charge you either, at least I didn't have to pay anything.
This is a DIY. There are 2 "screws" on each headlight assembly. one in the fender, the other in the middle on top. Both white. The one on top has a black cap in the middle, just pop it out. Get a cross head screwdriver and adjust it. They have letters with L R and U D. Meaning Left Right, Up Down with direction arrows.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
are all vw golfs really such a risk to own and unreliable? or is it just the GTIs as they are more high performance. surely owning a standard 1.4 litre should be more reliable.