GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cage for Jetta

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking to go a little further with my car and delete the rear seats for a cage/harness. Are there any bolt-on options that fit a jetta/GLI? It's not my daily and will be autocrossed/some hpde next year, but i would still like to drive it to work and on weekends when i feel like it.

I'm still reading up on it and all the things that should be considered safety wise, but if there are any pointers from you that are more experienced I'm all ears. My buddy has an ebay cross bar in his e36 that goes between both b-pillars and he seemed to have good luck with it, but i'm not sure if that is enough or would even work for our cars. I guess I'm just saying I don't want to go overboard especially if it's not practical for a weekend car.

this is what i've been looking at, but it seems like the rear bars that bolt to the trunk might not clear the rear deck in a sedan.
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Auto_Power_Industries/Suspension/Roll_Cages/Race/13172

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
If you need a cage, do it right and get a full cage welded in from an experienced fabricator. You'll need to remove / modify the dash to do this. If that seems extreme to you, then maybe you're not at the point of needing a cage. The stock safety features in this car are really good and probably adequate for your HDPEs unless you're racing wheel to wheel.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yes that does seem extreme. i mostly want it for the harness so just the rear like what i linked should suffice. i'd prefer nothing up front so i don't need to wear a helmet all the time. has anyone welded on the autopower one? and i'm still not positive it will fit in a jetta if anyone can confirm or not.

it would just be easier if it was something i could install myself in my garage, otherwise i guess i'll have to start calling fabricators for quotes. it definitely isn't necessary for my goals performance wise, but it's a personal preference after riding in a car with one. it just feels a lot more solid and i had no issues with comfort while riding around.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
yes that does seem extreme. i mostly want it for the harness so just the rear like what i linked should suffice. i'd prefer nothing up front so i don't need to wear a helmet all the time. has anyone welded on the autopower one? and i'm still not positive it will fit in a jetta if anyone can confirm or not.

it would just be easier if it was something i could install myself in my garage, otherwise i guess i'll have to start calling fabricators for quotes. it definitely isn't necessary for my goals performance wise, but it's a personal preference after riding in a car with one. it just feels a lot more solid and i had no issues with comfort while riding around.

Why not just get a harness bar made for the b-pillars? That would be easy to make as a bolt-in although you would have to cut some interior trim

miamirice

Ready to race!
Why not just get a harness bar made for the b-pillars? That would be easy to make as a bolt-in although you would have to cut some interior trim

Harness bars are bogus. They hold you in place for a spinal compression when the roof caves in. If you are going to commit to a proper seat and 5 or 6 pt harness (and with that I strongly suggest a HANS device) then you need at least a roll hoop. The Autopower is a good unti IF you are looking for a roll hoop.

As mentioned by the other guys, nothing comes close to a custom weld in. For what it sounds like, maybe just a better seat and keep using factory belt.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Harness bars are bogus. They hold you in place for a spinal compression when the roof caves in......just a better seat and keep using factory belt.

this is EXACTLY true...the first part.

with your stock adjustable seats, bring the seat far back from your normal seating position and with the seatbelt on, jerk it to lock. Then while it is still locked bring your seat back to normal driving position. Experiment to find just the right distance to get a firm but not excessively tight lock. This will keep any non-obese individual planted firmly in the seat.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i'll be removing the b-pillars. my plan next year is just to run front door trim panels, dash, and maybe carpet. i had a similar concern with the harness bar though. my buddies e36 has one that i think expands to the width you put it in, then he bolted it down. i'm obviously not planning on rolling my car over but i'd prefer that if i was in the situation it won't give me a greater chance of serious injury.

i guess i just don't understand why the auto power bar is that much worse than a custom weld in? what benefits am i getting? just a better fit or is there something bigger that i'm missing?

miamirice

Ready to race!
i'll be removing the b-pillars. my plan next year is just to run front door trim panels, dash, and maybe carpet. i had a similar concern with the harness bar though. my buddies e36 has one that i think expands to the width you put it in, then he bolted it down. i'm obviously not planning on rolling my car over but i'd prefer that if i was in the situation it won't give me a greater chance of serious injury.

i guess i just don't understand why the auto power bar is that much worse than a custom weld in? what benefits am i getting? just a better fit or is there something bigger that i'm missing?

The closer the bar to the roof, pillars, etc.....the further from you and the better the protection. Any bolt in won't fit closely as it is made to be bolted into as many application as your model can be made for. Look at pics and you will see the gaps and how it has less height above your head, A bolt in yield no chasis stiffening ( I don't think any 4-pt, which is just a roll hoop, gives any chasis stiffening. Now a 6-pt weld in does wonders for the cars chasis. It also helps keep your front wheel from coming into your legs/feet if you hit the wall.

Nobody plans to roll the car. But go to enough HPDE and stuff happens. If you reach 80mph+ and the guy in front of you blows his gasket...etc. You are first into his oil with no warning, when you exit the track (without slowing) possibly sideways, you may start to roll.....and cart wheel.... Trust me, stuff happens.

Guys here are saying if you are making the jump to gut a car and put in safety stuff, go for it, but go all the way and do it right. I am not anti Autopower. I had one in a civic when I needed to drive it to the track....and old civics are flimsy coke cans where the roof will cave.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yep i understand. i'm just guessing that the auto power one doesn't fit the gli to begin with, but i was curious if anyone else saw something i didn't see.

miamirice

Ready to race!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah i'm just not convinced that a "jetta 00+" fitment is correct. the same part wouldn't fit both a mk4 and mk5. not to mention it shows it fits a golf 00+ but a gti only 06+. i'd probably have to call to verify but just from the page it's not clear to me, and i was hoping for someone to post a pic like "yep got it in this is how it fits."

kern417

Go Kart Champion
My main question is will it fit in a JETTA. I know it can fit in a hatchback.

edit: oop, looks like i spoke too soon. i didn't see the pictures at the bottom. THANK YOU

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Nobody plans to roll the car. But go to enough HPDE and stuff happens. If you reach 80mph+ and the guy in front of you blows his gasket...etc. You are first into his oil with no warning, when you exit the track (without slowing) possibly sideways, you may start to roll.....and cart wheel.... Trust me, stuff happens.

Ain't that the truth. This Cayman was rolled at Roebling, brand new.