I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
ouch I hate those A cams

SRTthis

NJ 2 FL
Car(s)
2010 370Z
this issue has come up with a VENGENCE vwoa needs to be alerted. this is a major issue that can cause catasrophic engine failures if un checked. No engine should be major risk with <100k miles

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
It is impossible to determine if you have an A or B came solely based on date. They are mixed up between ALL years. 05s, 06s, 07s, 08s, and even a few 09s, have A cams while most others have B cams. The only way to know is to check. A cams are prone to failure more so than B, but B CAN fail.

sirsycott

Vagcom In OC = Me
i had an A cam, being replaced as i type,

07 build date

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
I checked my cam today and i have a rev b and my build date is dec 2005.

mines november 2005 so maybe i have a B cam as well... plus im not about to take apart anything in the engine so ill just wait and see if it takes a shit on me

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
It is impossible to determine if you have an A or B came solely based on date. They are mixed up between ALL years. 05s, 06s, 07s, 08s, and even a few 09s, have A cams while most others have B cams. The only way to know is to check. A cams are prone to failure more so than B, but B CAN fail.
A late 08 or any 09 will have the TSI motor which uses a completely different, four lobe cam to drive the HPFP as well as a roller-follower to (hopefully) eliminate wear of the pump cam and follower. The HPFP is also driven by the exhaust cam on the TSI engines. I'm not 100% sure if the new exhaust cam is a one-piece design or if the pump cam is a press fit. Since it looks like VW fixed most of the follower and pump issues on the TSI, I find it hard to believe they'd repeat the mistake of a one-piece cam.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
mines november 2005 so maybe i have a B cam as well... plus im not about to take apart anything in the engine so ill just wait and see if it takes a shit on me

It is pretty easy to check cam rev, take off the side panel from the vac pump, its 4 screws and the plate comes right off and you can see the end of the cam.