GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

B-Rabbit - 2009 VW Rabbit 2.5

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the actual headlight up to about 175 first, pried a little and it was tough, then re-heat and pry, etc. For the second one I left it in longer and let it get hotter. Was able to do a little prying and then pulled gently and came off easier. The prying would mess up the plastic surround so the less you have to do the better. I learned towards the end to let it get hotter. Hard to say exact time and heat cause I wasnt using a normal oven and checked the temp of the actual light.

Rear emblem off:

Plastidipped:

Had to give it a clean to check out my work:

Super happy with it, makes the front end look much much better.
Few other pics:

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
The front coils were pretty stuck, so need to take them apart to clean up the threads:

Unfortunately, there is a set screw that locks the collar in place. But it also damages the threads on the strut body. Which makes it hard to move the collar.
Got one apart and cleaned up:

And lowered all the way down, go big or go home:

The other ones threads were more damaged though and the collar had to be cut off. Hoping 8380 labs can hook me up with another:

And the rears waiting and spun down:

IG pic of the new-look front end:

Boondock

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI S
I love looking at your pictures in this thread. I have a pile of parts waiting to go on my Rabbit, just waiting for the first big rains to come and wash away the remaining salt on the roads.

Also never knew they had Rabbits with sunroofs. That's new to me!

Zach L

VR junkie
Your p-shop has me for the first time wishing my car was black

Also never knew they had Rabbits with sunroofs. That's new to me!
Because Canada. In the US you had to get an auto trans to get a sunroof.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Yay Canada! I am glad you guys are liking the updates. The weather is getting better and that makes me want to get my plans finished. Still staying on a pretty tight budget though.
Just spent 5 hours detailing, ready for the first day of spring. The roads aren't quite clean, and there is a little snow left (and rain in the forecast) but I had the time to spend on it this evening.

Now, back to the updates.

Pulled the car into my buddies shop. Was testing the europlate in the window but didnt like it and removed it:

Thought Id clean up the rear more:

Little heat, some floss:

Clean:

Not the best pics, but before and after:

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Next it was time to tackle these ugly calipers. They looked terrible behind the new wheels.

Got this kit, and picked up some foam brushes to use with it:

Dismantling what I could. Left the calipers on the car, didnt have the 14 triple square for the rear brackets so left them on too:

Blasting the front brackets, everything else got some wire wheel cleaning, then used the supplied brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean:

Painting the rears:

Front brackets:

Fronts:

In progress:

Rear assembled:

Front assembled:

Looks much better behind the wheel:

Test fitting both wheels for fitment, think it will sit well with no spacers when lowered.
Front:

Rear:

Like I said, plate is already removed and changed up, will post that later:

Can't wait to get the coils on. Have to wait on parts.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Looks better. Now you just need centric rotors with the black hubs.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
I can and am planning to. It was a really late night doing the calipers, they take a long time to dry, was at the shop until 2 am. But plan to do a little touch up on the calipers (re-assembled when not completely dry) and want to the rotor as well.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Put my roof bars on:

Thought I would try out something different with the europlate:

Everything on the car is dark so the plate was too bright:

Started to smoke it:

Got a drip on it and had to start over:

Second try:

That looks better suited to the car:

Got some L-brackets:

Everything black though:

Bracket is barely noticeable if I take the plate off temporarily:

Plate holder mounted:

And the plate:

Wasn't sold at first but Im starting to like it more and more. Will wait until I get the car lowered and the Cupra-R lip on to decide.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the roof bars on, next was time for the bike racks. First though, had to give them a cleaning after some winter use:

Clean:

Got them on with some better hardware than last time, also lowered the rears down to the bars, before they were spaced up:

Then I noticed something I somehow missed last year:

They were much too far forward and didnt look right on the car, how did I miss that before. So I adjusted them back:

Much better.

Also, I hated the whip antenna. Seeing someone else drive my car I got to see how silly it was. Did some research, went to the Dodge dealer and got a Sebring antenna for $7.

Before:

After:

So much better and still great reception.

Zach L

VR junkie
I love the speed of this build! Great work so far :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing it with a proper drop

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, getting closer to the final product that I had envisioned.
Just waiting on some parts from ECS and hopefully more consistent warm weather.
Im hoping Ill have it dropped the first weekend of April.