GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASR vs. ESC Sport

Mojo_BR

Passed Driver's Ed
In Brazilian spec I press the ASR button once and get a "ASR off" warning in the display, as well as a constantly on yellow warning on the panel

As I keep it pressed it shows "ESC sport". Option also avaiable thru the multimedia screen.

But I assume the ASR aint really off, still kicks in when needed? Havent tested it yet.

DeNzAcK

I read the manual as I was wondering what was best suited for my Golf R in the snow.

I didn't find in the manual what ESC Sport specifically meant, but from driving around in the different modes, I found ESC Sport to be way better for managing slides when I'm turning onto a road and the car isn't turning because I don't have traction with the hard turn plus ESC cuts me out of the picture.

I haven't bothered with the complete shut down of ESC (hold for 3 seconds in the Golf R).

Was glad to get some info on what ESC Sport does exactly, much preferred on slush and icy roads where I need to blip the throttle to get the car to actually turn rather than understeer.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I used my OBDEleven to turn off ESC by selecting ESC SPORT / ESC OFF V2, but when I accelerate from a stop the ASR light is flashing on the dashboard. According to the manual, ASR light flashing means it is working. I thought ESC off should turn off ASR as well?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I used my OBDEleven to turn off ESC by selecting ESC SPORT / ESC OFF V2, but when I accelerate from a stop the ASR light is flashing on the dashboard. According to the manual, ASR light flashing means it is working. I thought ESC off should turn off ASR as well?

Dumb question but you held the button until it dinged and showed esc off on your cluster?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Dumb question but you held the button until it dinged and showed esc off on your cluster?

Yep it showed ESC off in the instrument cluster and car settings in the infotainment system.

I did it via the app and not long coding because I was in a rush today at a performance driving school.

Joel

Ready to race!
There are different options in the app, make sure you selected the one you want I think it is ASR off/ECS off V2.
Pretty sure that is the one I used many moons ago.
I can push the button and get a limited option or hold it for 5 seconds and get a ding and know I am good to spin the tires if I choose.

Last edited: