GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Trial

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Well i got the Free APR trial for $25....damn Chris Green lol but anyway, at first i didn't like it and then it adapted and holy shnikeys. can u say fast. he doesn't have a dyno so i'm guessing 235-240hp. w/ the chip, i raced a Mustang GT 04 body style and he was stock, it was at a 3rd gear roll from 2500 rpms, and i pulled a car immediately and he let off. this is fun, but i'm gonna get the real chip from Revo since it is $100 cheaper.

Strong statement, what makes you say that? Please explain what makes REVO a REAL one?

grasshopper

Frankie Says Reflex
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
I think he meant real as in the full-fledged upgrade as opposed to the trial.

335 Trojan

Macro FTW.
I think that APR has put a little bit more into the concealment of their ecu programing to the dealer Vag Com, also doesn't APR come with the stock and the specific octane program at no extra charge, where revo you have to buy a flash loader to switch between the 2 and the cheapest one for the MKV is $230 and the other one is $400 and some (this one you can actually fine tune your turbo and some other things with your computer before flash loading it to your ect, so you can have one settin for the track one setting for daily driving, and your stock setting). Whew........ APR also has no need for a flash loader, they will upload the APR and stock ECU programing to your ECU (as well as their security lock out valet ect ect if you so choose to have thoes options). You control wich setting is loaded to the ECU through your cruise control stalk. Also from what I have read REVO has a more aggresive map than the APR programing does, meaning that REVO will produce more power but will also be harder on your engine than the APR will. In the end its way way way too hard to say who is better. Wich is probably why most peoples consensus is that you should just go to the closest shop to where you live regardless of APR, GIAC, or REVO. Now that my finger are bleeding all over the key board I am done!

no offense dude....but common.....are you an APR salesman?

GIAC FTW!

Got mine for $700 including Flashloader, security, 2 modes

Boonedock82

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 MKV
no offense dude....but common.....are you an APR salesman?

GIAC FTW!

Got mine for $700 including Flashloader, security, 2 modes

UMMMMMMMM nope

I was just sharing my opinion. I had the Revo trial on my GTI and loved every second of it, and will probably end up going with Revo because GIAC and APR are about 8 hours away from where I live, and the nearest Revo is 2 hours. To be honest I am on the fence tho, if all 3 where close to where I lived I don't know what the hell I would do.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
Everyone has their opinions about which chip is better and for whatever reason. Either way, all 3 are great. And all 3 companies have spent a lot of money on R&D of their software. i highly doubt any company would release a product that they weren't confident in, and risk causing real issues.

As for APR hiding their program better then the other 2 is just silly.

All 3, when purchasing all possible programs cost pretty much the same.

We all know Revo basically came out of APR. So i don't put the 2 companies far apart, if at all. And GIAC is as good as the other 2, so like many people have said over and over, it really comes down to location, location, location. Then which dealer treats you the best, and tries to answers all your questions and concerns.

Whatever chip you go with, you will BE HAPPY, i guarantee that!!!

and to the OP, go get your money back, i don't care how much it is, it's the principle behind it!!! They shouldn't have charged you for installation!!! I am sure they get some compensation from APR for ever trial and actual programs they sell.

prodigymb

lag > peeshooters
i think APR pays them to do it for free...
apr doesnt pay us shit to do it for free, thats why most of us charge to put the trial on. what we do is credit the money back if you purchase the chip, so you arent loosing anything:wink: but if you decide to go with another company then you lost your install fee, which i see as nothing but fair to everyone. no matter how long it takes to flash a car it is still work and no-one works for free. plus its more then 20 minutes
20-25 minutes flash
5-minutes auotscan car with vag-com and clear all ECU miscommunication codes
3-5 minutes let car idle
10-15 test drive
In general everything usually takes 45min-1hr.

But here is a shitty example, I flashed an 06 GTI with one of the beta stage 2 files and it ran like shit afterwards so i had to reflash it with another stage 2 file. double the work right there, this happenned saturday...first time since i've been doing it for over a year now.

They shouldn't have charged you for installation!!! I am sure they get some compensation from APR for ever trial and actual programs they sell.
why shouldnt we, do you get paid when you go to work? i get paid from chipping a car. OBVIOUSLY we make money on actual programs but trials we don't make anything. to be fair we do credit the money towards the full chip if purchased later.

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
If you look on Vortex...there is a guy that has had both APR and REVO...looking at his logs...Revo runs dangerous egts and pulls alot of timing...APR ran safer egt levels and almost no timing...I'm running APR and just got my vagcom but will be running longs soon...Sometimes APR runs a special to buy one program and get one free.

prodigymb

lag > peeshooters
If you look on Vortex...there is a guy that has had both APR and REVO...looking at his logs...Revo runs dangerous egts and pulls alot of timing...APR ran safer egt levels and almost no timing...I'm running APR and just got my vagcom but will be running longs soon...Sometimes APR runs a special to buy one program and get one free.

they actually run sales eevry few months, waterfest, april bbq, christmas and others sometimes. i dont even get into the discussion of logs, ive done my own logs of apr and revo and they look very similar to ones post on vortex by crew217. just look at the Air/Fuel tuning if nothing else, check this link out...its logs done on 2.0t a4 of revo, apr and giac. revo runs over 12.25:1 AF mixture to redline, IMHO i would never run that on my car. GIAC X+ possibly but I will never run Revo. I am entitled to my opinion, and i have past experience with turbo cars.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
they actually run sales eevry few months, waterfest, april bbq, christmas and others sometimes. i dont even get into the discussion of logs, ive done my own logs of apr and revo and they look very similar to ones post on vortex by crew217. just look at the Air/Fuel tuning if nothing else, check this link out...its logs done on 2.0t a4 of revo, apr and giac. revo runs over 12.25:1 AF mixture to redline, IMHO i would never run that on my car. GIAC X+ possibly but I will never run Revo. I am entitled to my opinion, and i have past experience with turbo cars.

So based off of this and the other guy that has run both APR and REVO, it's somewhat safe to say that REVO is harder on the engine than APR? Where does GIAC come in between the 2? I'm guessing somewhere in the middle from what I've read, but then again, I'm not positive. Eventually I will probably end up going with GIAC just because Autobarn is a GIAC installer and I know they will warranty it.:headbang:

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
why shouldnt we, do you get paid when you go to work? i get paid from chipping a car. OBVIOUSLY we make money on actual programs but trials we don't make anything. to be fair we do credit the money towards the full chip if purchased later.

Well atleast you give credit towards a full flash, but still on a matter of principle, why would APR call it FREE and have their dealers charge for what amounts to little or no work.

Atleast all of the dealers i have spoken with are happy to install the free trials, because they know that once they do, 99% of the time the person returns for the full version.

I still believe that charging for a free trial is just robbery. but we are entitled to our opinions, right? :biggrin:

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
Well atleast you give credit towards a full flash, but still on a matter of principle, why would APR call it FREE and have their dealers charge for what amounts to little or no work.

Atleast all of the dealers i have spoken with are happy to install the free trials, because they know that once they do, 99% of the time the person returns for the full version.

I still believe that charging for a free trial is just robbery. but we are entitled to our opinions, right? :biggrin:

i agree, but i still don't want 2 go back just buz it'z anextra 100 bucks over revo 4 stage 1.

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't do any searching on GIAC...the reason was everything I heard was that Revo and Giac ran similar A/F ratios...The point is for me...APR logs prove...at least to me...that they are doing what they say and keeping all the fail safes in the oem program in place, without leaning things out to dangerous levels...also if you look at knock logs...APR pulls almost zero timing. I would see if I could find logs of people running GIAC and compare the logs for A/F and Knock and if its possible the O2 sensor temps(won't give you true egts...but will give you and idea of who is running cooler)...the one with the lowest numbers on that won out for me. Peak power is within a few HP for all the programs to my knowledge. Doesn't make sense to me to kill a motor for a few HP.